The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Linden Vey Leads The NHL in Shooting % (Of Players Who Have Played Over 15 Games)

Giant Inflatable Beaver

I like to pay close attention to Vey when the Canucks play, I really believe he can be something special as a playmaking winger in the NHL.

So lucky to have him being mentored by the Sedins.

I think the preference is to have your playmakers be centers. Largely because on the wing your playmaking options are limited, and teams can easily prey on that, creating turnovers.

Vey absolutely needs to learn how to win faceoffs, imho. Or he needs to bulk up a bit and build his speed so he can manage to get off some more shots and go to the net a bit more as a typical winger would. Neither are impossible tasks for him I guess.

He has 20 shots. Datsyuk has 41 shots and has played 9 less games due to injury, yet is third on that list for players with 15 or more games.

Yeah, regression is going to show how meaningless this really is over the course of the season.

Makes sense. Take a low minute guy and give him top pp time with the Sedins = high shooting percentage.

Not that it's ever a bad thing to have a guy scoring obscene amounts, but, regression...

I like Vey but this comment is right. There are three reasons why a guy might have a high shooting percentage. In order of importance.

1. Luck. With a small sample a few lucky bounces (or lucky shots) will generate a high shooting percentage. This normally leads to regression to the mean.

2. Taking only high perentage shots. Sometimes it pays to take low percentage shots but, on the PP with Vrbata, Edler, and the Sedins, Vey is only going to shoot when he has a good chance of scoring, He is better off passing the puck than taking a low percentage shot.

3. An unusally good (quick and accurate) shot, like Stamkos. This is rare.

Vey's high shooting percentage is a product of 1 and 2 and therefore pretty much meaningless as an indicator of ability.

But Vey is good and I agree that he complements Matthias and Richardson well -- better than Kassian.

all i know is vey is still a kid like horvat, learning the nhl game....vey has progressed in each league he has been in and imo, he will progress in this one too...willie know what he has there and will help him along...i predict, in 2 years no one will be questioning this guys worth...he could bulk up and end up at center....it is nice to have so many player who can play center if they are needed to...

the canucks should pick up malhotra to teach our centers how to win face offs...

He's got an offensive skill that's for sure. But can he be a center in this conference? I'm not sure about that.

I don't think he has to be a centre. If he proves better (or at least just as good) on the wing long-term, then keep him there.

kyle wellwood used to be up there too.

he also would be one of the best on face-offs.

so, theres that.

Wellwood and Vey are polar opposites off the ice. You hear about lindens character and then you heard about Kyle's character and work ethic

Bingo. If Vey could win draws he'd be pretty much just like Wellwood.

The knock on Wellwood wasn't his skill. He was a useful player with a solid skillset, even if it wasn't an allstar skillset.

The knock on Wellwood was his effort, athleticism, and attitude. He was lazy and uncommitted. He lied about his conditioning and wasn't willing to put the minimum effort in the NHL (which is still a lot of effort by normal person standards, the NHL is just an insane amount of conditioning to even crack it). If you look at his stats they aren't that bad, especially considering how he wasn't even really trying that hard for them.

His lack of effort pushed him out of the league, not his skills.

So I wouldn't worry if Vey's playing style looks like Wellwoods, as long as his effort is there.

Archived