The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Our Defense SUCKS

Gretzky to Lemieux

Our D is pretty shocking to be fair but I still wouldn't go out and trade for a top 4 D. The price is going to be so high and we are miles away from a cup run.

Stand pat, keep all our prospects and draft well.

These last 5 games or so have been really bad defensively. There was a stretch there for a while where our defence were clicking and even the biggest of trolls said Weber was playing well, which he was. The last 5~ games has included a lot of bad pinches and terrible reads, if we can return to our prime then I will disregard these last few games.

Bieksa and Weber are the two major thorns at the moment, closely followed by Sbisa. If this stretch continues to happen one of them needs to go/get scratched.

Just for stats. D since 2009-10, who have played more than 5 regular season games for the Canucks.

drafted - Bieksa, Edler, Corrado, Sauve

free agency - Hamhuis, Tanev, Weber, Garrison, Barker, Rome, Sulzer, Oberg, Mitchell, M. Schneider, Baumgartner

waivers - Stanton

off-season trade - Sbisa, Ballard, Salo, Ehrhoff, Lukowich, O'Brien

mid-season trade - Diaz, Alberts, Gragnani

The things that stand out 1. Very low on drafts 2. Off-season > Mid-season

*lose 5-1*

"Our defense sucks!"

Good observation...?

Actually, if youve been watching the games recently he is right. I dont know how many times where an open winger has been able to skate freely to an open area when our dman is either not moving his legs or just watching the puck carryer. Weve looked slow on the back end.

When people consider guys like Sbisa and Stanton top four defenders and Weber an NHL calibre PMD, their setting themselves up for disappointment. Who honestly didn't see this coming? WD refuses to give major minutes to Edler and Tanev so half the game we have AHL'rs out there. Not only that but we expect them to PINCH. Recipe for disaster.

"Our defense sucks" should be changed to "our defensive game sucks". Us fans were screaming at Tortorella for employing a defense-first system, and as that style failed miserably, we were all clamoring for an offense-first system, which is what Willie has brought to this organization.

IMO, our play in our zone has gotten better as the year has progressed, and is significantly better than it was last year under Tortorella's collapse-zone coverage. There are certainly blown coverages and bad d-zone puck handling and decisions made by Bieksa and Sbisa in particular, but to say our defense sucks may be over simplifying what is ailing the Canucks on our side of the puck.

With the Canucks style of game, defense starts in the opposing end and lately, the forwards have been guilty of not covering for the pinches and/or the d-men are committing to a pinch before any back up is established. So, IMO, the bad "defense" is a function of forward and d-men being out of synch in the offensive zone (resulting in crazy amounts of odd man rushes coming back our way).

When the Canucks are playing well, the five man unit are backing each other up nicely, and the forwards do a really nice job of tightening up the coverage when the opposing team has the puck in the neutral zone. Since Ottawa, they haven't done any of this and it's showing up in losses.

This is very similar to how the team was playing from 2009 to 2012 when the Canucks were among the alpha predators of the NHL. We've got the personnel to play this type of game...not to make excuses for the team or the players, this is a type of game that requires a lot of energy, and it seems like the team has been sapped of it for the past week. With the attitude this current team seems to be playing with, I'm pretty sure that this four game slump will be shaken off sooner than later (at least that's what I'm hoping for).

There are certainly blown coverages and bad d-zone puck handling and decisions made by Bieksa and Sbisa in particular, but to say our defense sucks may be over simplifying what is ailing the Canucks on our side of the puck.

With the Canucks style of game, defense starts in the opposing end and lately, the forwards have been guilty of not covering for the pinches and/or the d-men are committing to a pinch before any back up is established. So, IMO, the bad "defense" is a function of forward and d-men being out of sync in the offensive zone (resulting in crazy amounts of odd man rushes coming back our way).

When the Canucks are playing well, the five man unit are backing each other up nicely, and the forwards do a really nice job of tightening up the coverage when the opposing team has the puck in the neutral zone.

Agreed. The team should keep Hansen, Higgins or Burrows on the ice anytime that one of those two is on the ice. Those three are our best back-checkers.

As for whether the D-group sucks, I think most of the parts actually don't, and most of the parts that make up a good D-core are already in place. Once the right pairings are found I think they'll be good to go.

Edler - Tanev (solid #1 pairing; neither guy puts up the big numbers but they've been tight defensively)

Hammer - _______ (default with Juice, but might need to change if he's slow now; Hammer's still good tho)

Sbisa - Weber (solid complementary pairing actually, but Luca should stay as a #5; NO Juice & Sbizza)

Stanton

If we can add an offensive #4 with Hammer we should be good.

the d needs a major fix up for sure. a guy like sekkera or methot could be good rentals to bring in for now. if we get one of those guys and hamhuis comes back our d will look good again and bieksa and sbisa will on the third pairing where they belong.

i acctually would like to give Corrado a chance or offer a PTO to a guy like Morris instead

Archived