The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Kings @ Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

Carey price would have skated into Stoll and flopped and then the goal would have been waived off for Stoll impeding his movement. Price is a master of initiating contact and then flopping to get goals waived off. Just ask Pavel datsyuk!

Quick would have done it too. I said it about Brown in the GDT but the same is true for Quick, those guys will do whatever it takes to win. Time and time again the Canucks aren't willing to actually do whatever it takes.

True, but that's where the loyalty factor might come in to play. The Sedins will be allowed to retire as Canucks (I'm assuming, and also hoping) but the admission has to be there that they can't lead this team to the Cup anymore.

Steps have to be taken to bring in new blood who can do that. But we need to have $$$ freed up by the Sedins in order to afford anyone good

And so they probably should.

Look, Detroit is capable of playing other guys on the top line if Zetterberg and Datsyuk are out. And they don't have to tank to find guys to do it. (Oh boy I can feel all the lickings I took arguing like an idiot with Old News that their development was not that great). In the best case scenario they retire as second liners just like Yzerman did?

SJ, or a better example is Chicago, have been able to recycle 2knd and 3rd line guys while keeping their core. Either because they got old (SJ) or expensive (Chicago). Montreal was only out of the play off's 1 year. There are more teams staying successful recycling than there are tanking for picks!

Was quite obvious the drop not only on the PP but in scoring generally coincided with the departure of Erhoff and Salo, and little doubt it is a priority target for mgmt to address. Already well-publicized the interest in Myers at the draft, and the reports about asking Burrows to waive were allegedly for one of New Jersey's young D-men. Would not at all be surprised to see a new NHL-ready (or nearly so) young D in here by the trade deadline.

Oh I am prayin brotha!

Oh man... Don't get me going on that. Side note, he's single handedly turned that team around.

Well said though, we need a shake up on D. Maybe a trade. Maybe try someone from Utica. Sbisa and Bieksa have bad games way too often. All dman, Lidstrom, borque, doughty, etc have bad games but these two are having way way too many.

Lou has been awesome.

But they have 4 forwards under 22, most notably Bjugstad but also Huberdeau, Trocheck and Barkov all who would probably play 2knd line for us. No not all at once, but IMO any of them could replace two of our guys.

Then add the Ekblad factor! 6'3'' huge rookie RHD who has scored as much as any two of our D put together.

My point is it's not just Lou even though he's been extremely good.

The Sedins are two of the greatest canucks of all time and WILL keep the team respectable for the duration of their contract. Benning needs to find a way to phase in a new core.

He is 40 games in on the job.

If a few Gillis NTC veterans waive the team can theoretically acquire younger and cheaper alternatives - and picks.

Other than that he is going to have to do old -fashioned hockey trades.

Disappointing but not a terrible game. Could have won it. Mostly an unlucky 3rd.

But....

No excuse for Miller on the 2nd and 3rd goals. The Canucks signed him to make those saves. The same goals Lack let in last season which probably influenced signing a veteran goalie.

There is no second line. Especially with a lead. There's the top line, then there's 3 shut down lines. And they still got outshot by more than a 2-1 margin. That's not good. Bonino, Richardson and Horvat need to create more offense but are probably being told to focus defensively. With defensively responsible wingers like Burrows, Hansen, Higgins, Dorsett and Matthias the C should be encouraged to be more offense minded IMO.

None of D look comfortable with the puck. Playing good D, which is obviously more important. But none of them look like want the puck, ever. Except maybe Bieksa prior to that awful Ottawa game.....but even he's a lot more conservative now. Opposition D has been killing us with more movement and better passing.

Then add the Ekblad factor! 6'3'' huge rookie RHD who has scored as much as any two of our D put together.

Ekblad leads all NHL rookie D in scoring-by a landslide.

He is tied for 24th in scoring amongst all NHL d men.

I guess we can just imagine how he would have helped this team playing with the twins/Vrbata.

Thanks Stanton, good job costing us the game.

You seriously blaming that penalty on him? It was called a hooking penalty. It was not even CLOSE to being a penalty because the LA King fell on his own. Yes, Stanton's stick was diagonally across the Kings' players body but in no circumstances did Stanton even yank him down with the stick. The guy fell on his own

Hate saying it, but better team won. Simple as that.

Hate to agree with you but you are right.

I hope this loss was a good lesson to WD and the coaching staff. You can't win against teams like LA, ANA, SJS by playing conservative trap hockey. Sure, on odd occasions, you play like that win like we did against San Jose. But this style of play cost us 2 games in which we were leading after 2nd period. If WD is employing this trap/defensive style because he realized that he doesn't have the horses to play the puck possession game, then that's another story. Put Kassian back on, we've all seen what Vey can do, now let's see what Kass can do for the team.

Less than 4 minutes remaining and Brad Watson pulls that pathetic phantom hooking call out of his predictable game management mandate, leading to the equalizing goal. Fn disgusting. To that point the team was holding on despite giving up the territorial edge. L.A.just needed that extra little last minute powerplay crutch.

Look how Luongo is playing in Florida.

When are people gonna wake up and realize that it's not our goaltender, it's our D.

Different goalie, same results. Until the D core is improved, this team won't be able to hang with the big dogs.

The collective lack of intelligence in this regard amongst a wide portion of the Canucks fanbase is impervious to this type of reasoning.

That, and its simply fashionable to blame the goaltender for all your problems if you live in Vancouver.

I don't see how this will ever change.. Bring in the best goaltender in the universe and Canucks fans will find a way to drive him into the mud face first...

Ekblad leads all NHL rookie D in scoring-by a landslide.

He is tied for 24th in scoring amongst all NHL d men.

I guess we can just imagine how he would have helped this team playing with the twins/Vrbata.

I had not seen Ekblad play. Was buying in to the hype regarding Reinhart. Who is still a very good player.

But Ekblad has been a stud! Very smart for Florida to have kept their pick. And selected him.

Oii; in one of my keeper pools I selected Hamhuis when Ekblad was available against my AGM's advise? :picard: My logic was it would take a few years to get a D man up to speed. And I cited Seth Jones. That was as painful as this game!

Well he's getting paid like a top 15 goaltender and top 15 goaltenders make those saves. He made good saves which he should have but that doesn't mean it's okay to let in two softies. He didn't "steal" this game and the quality of shots weren't that high. He saw alot of the shots nor did he make any highlight saves.

Too 15 goaltenders make the saves they have to to win games night in and night out without fail?

Honestly, you sound ridiculous..

Hate to agree with you but you are right.

I hope this loss was a good lesson to WD and the coaching staff. You can't win against teams like LA, ANA, SJS by playing conservative trap hockey. Sure, on odd occasions, you play like that win like we did against San Jose. But this style of play cost us 2 games in which we were leading after 2nd period. If WD is employing this trap/defensive style because he realized that he doesn't have the horses to play the puck possession game, then that's another story. Put Kassian back on, we've all seen what Vey can do, now let's see what Kass can do for the team.

Your probably wrong.

I'm not sure we played a trapping game either. But in any case;

Amongst the best strategies for playing against a more talented, more athletically gifted team is > you guessed it, the trap!

The landslide consensus in most sports amongst the coaching bretheren is that if the other team is more talented, your goal should be to hem them up! As opposed to attacking and pushing the pace. The higher the pace, the more scoring opportunities & puck turns over are created > the more it benefits the, ahem more talented athletic team. If you slow down the pace, bottle them up in a trapping system the game is slowed down. There is a lot more traffic, less wide open space for more talented players to disadvantage you.

Then when they get frustrated trying to bust through your trap, they turnover the puck. And for a fleeting moment your team, even without a lot of possessions, has a few high quality breakouts off turnovers with a high % to score.

101 coaching to win an upset game!

Most of the team is playing bad right now. At least the twins got on the scoresheet. It's the 2nd line that's doing nothing lately. Or those guys we have that we're supposed to call them a 2nd line.

It's basically 2 3rd lines and a 4th after the Sedins/Vrbata.

If the 2nd line is going to have any success they need Bonino to click with somebody.

We can maybe hope that Kassian storms in with some motivation like he says he's going to.

Archived