The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Kings @ Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

I agree with people saying this one was on the coach as much as anyone. He needed to recognize what was happening and try to do something to counter it. The fact that he still had a timeout after the game shows he didn't do all he could have.

Yes, the Canucks are not as good as the Kings, but the win was there to be had. Even if they had to grind it out and win an ugly one, that's what good teams do. Not enough killer instinct with this team.

And as far as wanting a 4 line team, the Kings are a perfect example. This team is not a 4 line team yet. While Willie was busy trying to match lines, the Kings were throwing whoever they wanted over the boards, cause every one of their lines can play. The Canucks have too many passengers right now.

We are a 4 line team, the problem is that our 2nd line is poor. Technically we have 1 first line and 3 third lines. What we need is an improvement on the 2nd line. I wonder if Edmonton would give up Yakupov for reasonable price or if we could snatch Bobby Ryan from Ottawa.

Meanwhile...in Columbus. Some defenceman named Connauton has 9 points in 15 games. Wow, we could use a guy like that on our team. Wait a minute....

Wasn't he traded to Dallas initially? I guess Dallas could also use him as well :bigblush:

Meanwhile...in Columbus. Some defenceman named Connauton has 9 points in 15 games. Wow, we could use a guy like that on our team. Wait a minute....

But then we would have never gotten Roy Baby. The guy who was just claimed by the Oilers off waivers. :lol:

Good on Gillis for drafting the guy, but man was that a dumb desperation trade. The old saying that sometimes the best move is the one you don't make applies there. Gillis tried to force a trade and made a bad one.

Miller is the reason this game was even close. Kassian should have played in this one and we desperately need Hammer back but neither would have changed the outcome of this one. This was Millers game to steal and he almost did until the last moment. It could have been his hero game instead he will be blamed for the loss.

34 years old?

Doesn't have anything to do with age since they still play a similar style without losing much steps. Difference is that our team has gotten worse in terms of offense every year since the cup finals. We lost Samuelsson, Torres, Malhotra, Kesler, Ehrhoff, Salo, Garrison etc. Of course we would have a bad offense when we keep losing key players that helped this team get to the cup finals. We didn't adequately replace those pieces. I mean, who replaced Salo, Ehrhoff or Garrison in terms of offense? Sbisa? Stanton? Weber? Our supporting cast especially on the back end is not good.

Hart trophy, 2 Art Ross, Ted Lindsey?

and just better despite their age lol..

Well, that would mean that you would take a guy like Jagr with all of his cups and individual awards over a guy like Tarasenko right?

It would be hard to turn down the LA GM if he offered up guys like Toffoli and Kopitar for the twins.

The Sedins are two of the greatest canucks of all time and WILL keep the team respectable for the duration of their contract. Benning needs to find a way to phase in a new core.

Look, I think we're both right?

Really a UFA signature signing should get unobstructed shots saved. Win you close games. The thing with blame is this is a bad game to point it out. He also played lights out saving plenty. Despite the goals, he ends the game with a 0.925 save %. That should win most games.

When I was in coaching we had a theory you did 3 things as coach >>> Praise... Leave alone... or Fix by any means necessary.

In my evaluation he is a leave alone based on todays play.

I'm looking at fixing they held the puck and managed almost 35 shots (including blocks) more than we managed to take.

I like you, you are very reasonable!

Carolina's top line is better than ours. Staal is 100 point player and semin a 40 goal scorer.

Then why are they last in the league if they are so much better?

Our top line of Sedins plus Vrbata has more points combined compared to Carolina's lowly first line which you consider better.

Well, that would mean that you would take a guy like Jagr with all of his cups and individual awards over a guy like Tarasenko right?

It would be hard to turn down the LA GM if he offered up guys like Toffoli and Kopitar for the twins.

The Sedins are two of the greatest canucks of all time and WILL keep the team respectable for the duration of their contract. Benning needs to find a way to phase in a new core.

Benning would drive them straight to LA if the LA GM offered Toffoli and Kopitar for the twins. Its good to dream though.

It's our skill on D and our size and skill up front that needs upgrading.

Look; Higgins / Bonino / Burrows was killer against Calgary and Edmonton early in the year. And is putting up league average 2knd line numbers. Its just more challenged as we play better teams.

If we are calling us an average team; they remain adequate? If we want to be competitive, yes we need upgrades here as well as on D as I am calling for. In a call for patience, we at least have potential 2knd line forwards in our prospect pool.

On D we are not average IMO. Some guys are sufficient defensively, example Tanev and Edler are playing well. Edler has a big shot. NONE have the puck skill identifiable on four guys on LA. And then we watch them unsurprisingly command possession. Nor do we have either as full a prospect pool, nor players who are as close to ready. It is a more glaring need.

And one that will reap bigger rewards sooner if addressed!

Yes! A tonne of offense if generated by a skilled D core....I dont think some of the guys in here understand that.

Stanton, Weber, Sbisa and even Bieksa just cant cut it offensively - even Tanev becomes pretty much useless when he goes past center ice towards the O zone....

See just above ^^

Lol Miller... Nice job in the last 2 minutes couldn't even make a save even if he just leaned on the post. Terrible, Lack should start next game.

How do you expect to win close games if your goalie can't make a late save, seriously I could have stopped both shots. On the 2nd one, just lean against the post and Williams doesn't even try to shoot it or it just hits you but no, Miller.

Miller played very well. I don't have much else to say to you.

Tough game... I think the shot count was a little misleading. I thought we out played them, but not by enough to over come classic Cali team officiating.

Regardless it's simple, we gotta play better. Focus, and build chemistry. This team will be a cup contender come April.

Doesn't have anything to do with age since they still play a similar style without losing much steps. Difference is that our team has gotten worse in terms of offense every year since the cup finals. We lost Samuelsson, Torres, Malhotra, Kesler, Ehrhoff, Salo, Garrison etc. Of course we would have a bad offense when we keep losing key players that helped this team get to the cup finals. We didn't adequately replace those pieces. I mean, who replaced Salo, Ehrhoff or Garrison in terms of offense? Sbisa? Stanton? Weber? Our supporting cast especially on the back end is not good.

I dont disagree with much of what you say. No Secondary scoring and no offense from the D. Salo and Erhoff were huge losses. Even in their presidents trophy days when Salo was out of the lineup there was a noticeable difference in their record.

The Sedins are still good enough to keep the team competitive on most nights.

Archived