The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Kings @ Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

"We stopped playing. We were waiting for other guys to do something with the puck." - Henrik on lack of offensive opportunities

Why Daniel? Why were you waiting for someone else to do something? I admire the honesty but that's a pretty disturbing admission from one of the team leaders.

that was 9 years ago lol

I know. It was sarcasm on my part because I was applying Staal2Staal logic since he wants to bring up the Sedins trophies in the past to make a case for their play today.

It doesn't work like that because while I love the Sedins and everything they've done for this team they are a shadow of their former trophy winning selves today.

Miller played very well. I don't have much else to say to you.

Tough game... I think the shot count was a little misleading. I thought we out played them, but not by enough to over come classic Cali team officiating.

Regardless it's simple, we gotta play better. Focus, and build chemistry. This team will be a cup contender come April.

He did until the end where we needed our 7 million starter the most, those saves should have been stopped.

Why Daniel? Why were you waiting for someone else to do something? I admire the honesty but that's a pretty disturbing admission from one of the team leaders.

He means that they were sitting back and letting the play come to them.

That's exactly what they were doing. He was just being honest.

I can only hope Linden and Benning saw the undeniable truth and pick up the phone.

And with all due respect to Henrik, it's his team which he must lead on the ice. If you say "we didn't do this" and "we should have done that" the responsibility begins and ends at the captain. Henrirk and Daniel didn't do anything noticeable on the ice tonight when things started to go sideways with LA pushing hard. When a captain sees his teammates giving such an half-assed effort on both end of the ice it's his duty to regroup his men and charge them back to the battle -- but Sedins played just as pathetic as the rest of the team and seems to be content with it.

Honestly I'm tired of listening to the same old nice "lip service" by the core players after each terrible loss. Stop sugarcoating things and talking a good game. if you know what needs to be done just bring it on the ice.

Meanwhile...in Columbus. Some defenceman named Connauton has 9 points in 15 games. Wow, we could use a guy like that on our team. Wait a minute....

Dont go there!

We had no room on our left side when we let him go. Had Edler, Hamhuis and Garrison. Had not even let Ballard go yet.

Then add he was picked up on waivers by Columbus. Less than 2 months ago. Where he is only playing because Ryan Murray and others have been injured. He still has flaws in his game he is going to have to fix to this day if he is going to actually stick. Good luck to him, but he is not polished enough to call a fix for us!

edit: and in a double whammy of logic...

What we need / needed was to have a ''Kevin Connauton / Damon Severson / Adam Clendenning / Some frickin body'' developing and on the cusp instead of having to sign a Jason Garrison. Trade for a Luca Sbisa. Hell rely on being lucky, good, whatever you want to call it in acquiring a Christian Ehrhoff???

He did until the end where we needed our 7 million starter the most, those saves should have been stopped.

Had he made those 2 saves then he would have made 39 of 40. Those numbers are beyond unreal. You don't just get those numbers on a night when your defense was horrible.

Miller is proving he isn't a weakness on this team.

Btw 6 million. Big difference, cap flex.

These two are arguably the 2 greatest canucks of all time. But we have to face reality at some point. 34 years old, 7 million each, they cannot be dominant against teams that play them tough and play a tight defensive system. Sure they can feast against Edmonton, Calgary etc but the end of an era is coming. I see their departure lined up with Miller's contract expiration as the start of a new chapter. I hope that Benning can accumulate enough assets to spring the team forward when the Sedins retire.

There is a lot of work to do in the next 3 years.

might be worth splitting the sedins up experiment again. At least against teams they struggle against. There to redundant together. Henrik has proven he doesnt have to have daniel on his line to be succesful.

I can see daniel working better with bonino than higgins

vrbata henrik kassian

daniel bonino burrows

On D we are not average IMO. Some guys are sufficient defensively, example Tanev and Edler are playing well. Edler has a big shot. NONE have the puck skill identifiable on four guys on LA. And then we watch them unsurprisingly command possession. Nor do we have either as full a prospect pool, nor players who are as close to ready. It is a more glaring need.

And one that will reap bigger rewards sooner if addressed!

Was quite obvious the drop not only on the PP but in scoring generally coincided with the departure of Erhoff and Salo, and little doubt it is a priority target for mgmt to address. Already well-publicized the interest in Myers at the draft, and the reports about asking Burrows to waive were allegedly for one of New Jersey's young D-men. Would not at all be surprised to see a new NHL-ready (or nearly so) young D in here by the trade deadline.

Had he made those 2 saves then he would have made 39 of 40. Those numbers are beyond unreal. You don't just get those numbers on a night when your defense was horrible.

Look how Luongo is playing in Florida.

When are people gonna wake up and realize that it's not our goaltender, it's our D.

Different goalie, same results. Until the D core is improved, this team won't be able to hang with the big dogs.

Well he's getting paid like a top 15 goaltender and top 15 goaltenders make those saves. He made good saves which he should have but that doesn't mean it's okay to let in two softies. He didn't "steal" this game and the quality of shots weren't that high. He saw alot of the shots nor did he make any highlight saves.

Well this is what you get Sedin lovers, you wanted them so you're getting what you deserve.

Without the Sedins this team is a laughing stock.

The Sedins and Vrbata are the only offensive threat we have.

If you wanna b!tch at anyone how about the second line? They've been a no show for too long.

Incorrect.

Canucks had 10 take aways to 14 give aways while Kings had 3 take aways and 5 give aways this is better than the Kings and accounts for the higher quantity of shots. The only period the Canucks were really defending was the second period. This is 1/3 of the game so please don't make numbers up.

As for the goals. The kings had a lucky bounce and scored two at the end which were routine saves. Miller just can't hold up his own. He has to atleast look like a playoff goalie for 7 million.

The difference is, when the Kings took the puck, they generated zone time and chances/shots...when the Nucks took the puck, they immediately turned it back over by dumping it in the LA zone and sitting back to defend. The stats are interesting but what I saw was a team playing not to lose and handing the momentum to a very good opponent.

The Sedin's look old, slow and unmotivated. This is what we can look forward to for the next few years people. I know JB and TL didn't sign them, but it's not looking good with them as our first line.

And the defense is not looking like a strength either. Major shake up please.....

I am willing to wait if it takes time to rebuild this, I have waited over 40 years already what's a few more.

Look how Luongo is playing in Florida.

When are people gonna wake up and realize that it's not our goaltender, it's our D.

Different goalie, same results. Until the D core is improved, this team won't be able to hang with the big dogs.

Oh man... Don't get me going on that. Side note, he's single handedly turned that team around.

Well said though, we need a shake up on D. Maybe a trade. Maybe try someone from Utica. Sbisa and Bieksa have bad games way too often. All dman, Lidstrom, borque, doughty, etc have bad games but these two are having way way too many.

a team playing not to lose and handing the momentum to a very good opponent.

The story of last year.

The Kings are definitely in the Canucks heads. That's the only way I can explain them beating a good Sharks team and then putting up that effort tonight. They're afraid to play their game against the Kings cause they've been burned by them so many times.

Gotta just move on from this one and get back to playing their game. Detroit plays a style much more suiting to the Canucks game.

He means that they were sitting back and letting the play come to them.

That's exactly what they were doing. He was just being honest.

Reads like they were waiting for someone else on the Nucks to do something. But even if you are correct, the question remains...why? This is a veteran cores playing at home in a key divisional game and the stopped playing after 20 minutes? Disturbing.

Archived