The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Kings @ Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

Bieksa ???? sucks.

Way to blow coverage on both even strength goals, moron.

Another Bieksa Fiasco. When will they send him to pasture in Florida. He's the most overated player on this team and needs to be called out for his slow, sloppy, I don't give a $h!t attitude over the last few years. He's the biggest liability on this team and the sooner he's shipped out with the other over 30 geritol crowd the sooner we can continue on with the rebuild. If his play was as good as his personality we would have won the cup by now - but results speak for themselves!

They're not even on pace for 30 goals combined between the two. Daniel is going to struggle to get 20. Henrik probably won't reach 15.

These two are arguably the 2 greatest canucks of all time. But we have to face reality at some point. 34 years old, 7 million each, they cannot be dominant against teams that play them tough and play a tight defensive system. Sure they can feast against Edmonton, Calgary etc but the end of an era is coming. I see their departure lined up with Miller's contract expiration as the start of a new chapter. I hope that Benning can accumulate enough assets to spring the team forward when the Sedins retire.

There is a lot of work to do in the next 3 years.

Oh I know that LA is good and I expected a loss toninht (not in such a heartbreaking fashion though) but what I'm saying is Canucks can't grind with the big boys and when the refs put the whistles away, which happens a lot in California and the playoffs, the Canucks fold like cheap tents.

It's flat out embarassing when the Canucks do try and play physical. Sedins bouncing off guys left and right. Bieksa miles out of position. Taking penalties. It's brutal. Need a rebuild ASAP to compete in the west.

I don't think the Canucks have problems playing California teams, more than they have problems playing LA. LA is the team that gives Canucks fits. Heck, even Anaheim doesn't give the Canucks as much problem as LA does. We also seem to have San Jose's number this year and Miller seems to play really good against them. To match LA, the Canucks need a more dominant 2nd line center and a PMD. They also need Kassian in the lineup to make the canucks bigger. If we had an Ehrhoff instead of Stanton or Weber in the backend, we would be a way more offensive team. Just hope Hamhuis comes back soon and Benning trades for a young PMD so we could cast off Stanton and Weber to the press box. Luca Sbisa has played alright and we also need his physicality.

I couldn't care less about reffing or goaltending. The fact that we keep complaining about that stuff only proves that we are nowhere near the level of elite teams.

Getting outplayed by a better team is one thing. Playing timid/scared is quite another and you deserve to be humiliated and lose badly like tonight. Even CGY and EDM managed to pull out a win against the kings, yet we totally blew it and it was so ugly that I feel like I went back in time to last January.

And seriously, from my eye tests over the past few years Sedins can do squat against really good teams now. They get most of their points against non-playoff teams like oilers but become totally invisible against elite teams. They know what Sedins do and how to break them. The only game Sedins can play is cycling and they just keep trying it even when it's obviously not working. Their plays become so predictable that even I can see where the puck will go when Sedins have the puck.

We need to develop a new 1st line within the next couple of years or we'll end up with four 3rd lines.

2/3 of Danny's points have come against non-playoff teams so far. If you count Calgary as a playoff team, his numbers are a bit better in that sense.

The Sedin's helped assist both points you guys scored tonight. Where's that second line at?

Well, that's a very good question. We don't seem to have one, strictly speaking. We have the Sedins and Vrbata and then a bunch of mix and match bottom six forwards right now.

At least Edler had a great game.

Him and Hansen were the only players that stood out to me this game. Burrows was solid as well.

Hopefully this sparks the team rather than deflates them. They can't stop playing when they're up 2-0.

This ^^.

Sigh!

Incorrect.

Canucks had 10 take aways to 14 give aways while Kings had 3 take aways and 5 give aways this is better than the Kings and accounts for the higher quantity of shots. The only period the Canucks were really defending was the second period. This is 1/3 of the game so please don't make numbers up.

As for the goals. The kings had a lucky bounce and scored two at the end which were routine saves. Miller just can't hold up his own. He has to atleast look like a playoff goalie for 7 million.

Look its hard to argue with you. Two clean looks and you hope your prize goalie gets em. Not tipped, screened...

But its not fair either. Williams shot was dead eye and the 2knd was a whistling slapper in close when Miller was forced across the crease. Not fair because they were not whiffs or bad goals either. And he was stellar the rest of the game.

I chalk that up to good goals. Which LA probably deserved cuz they were carrying the play.

We just have to get better, control the puck more and stay out of the box.

These two are arguably the 2 greatest canucks of all time. But we have to face reality at some point. 34 years old, 7 million each, they cannot be dominant against teams that play them tough and play a tight defensive system. Sure they can feast against Edmonton, Calgary etc but the end of an era is coming. I see their departure lined up with Miller's contract expiration as the start of a new chapter. I hope that Benning can accumulate enough assets to spring the team forward when the Sedins retire.

There is a lot of work to do in the next 3 years.

Another blown opportunity by Gillis here by giving them the contracts he did. We could have used that money for something else. Perhaps even entertain the possibility of moving them one day.

The thing is, LA plays playoff hockey all year. Canucks just fold against that type of hockey and come April/May that's the only type of hockey. Need a serious retool and we need to get a lot grittier.

We simply can't match up against LA's size, they wear us down and by the 3rd period it catches up to us.

Oh I know that LA is good and I expected a loss toninht (not in such a heartbreaking fashion though) but what I'm saying is Canucks can't grind with the big boys and when the refs put the whistles away, which happens a lot in California and the playoffs, the Canucks fold like cheap tents.

It's flat out embarassing when the Canucks do try and play physical. Sedins bouncing off guys left and right. Bieksa miles out of position. Taking penalties. It's brutal. Need a rebuild ASAP to compete in the west.

Getting outplayed by a better team is one thing. Playing timid/scared is quite another and you deserve to be humiliated and lose badly like tonight. Even CGY and EDM managed to pull out a win against the kings, yet we totally blew it and it was so ugly that I feel like I went back in time to last January.

How many times have we gone over this? This loss is just what the CDC doctor ordered -- perhaps it will spell the end of all the "trade Kassian for a mini on D/used puck bag" nonsense.

Speaking of, Kassian was doing D rushes with Sanguinetti at practice. Great, then sit Weber and Stanton and put out Kassian and Sestito. There's your chance, boys!

Not really, we have H. Sedin, Bonino, Richardson, Matthias, Vey and Horvat at center. I think we just need a better 2nd line center but the 1C, 3C and 4C are actually pretty strong and we have more depth at that position compared to most teams in this league. If we could've had Jeff Carter at 2nd C, then we would be dominant. Right now we are lacking a good 2nd line center and a PMD. I hope Jim Benning could trade a forward for a PMD that plays similar to Ehrhoff.

Yeah, we do have depth in numbers, but we're thin on top. Henrik ain't elite anymore and we're over matched league wide on the second line. Bottom wise, I agree we're fine.

So do you think that the Sedins can be effective vs LA in a 7 game series? I really dont care about 2 points they got in a game where they were dominated in.

The downfall of this team is that 14 million is tied up in 2 players that cannot be effective against the elite teams. They are 34 years old and the best we can hope for is that they can keep the team respectable until their contracts run out while Benning rebuilds the team.

Sedins can't be replaced unless we are drafting players like McDavid in the draft. So they are the main offense of this team along with Vrbata. We get rid of them, we might as well swap places with Edmonton. I wouldn't mind trading the Sedins if we could get back players like Seguin in return. To talk about money being tied up to certain players on our team is easy, but the hard question is who you would replace them and what type of impact would it have on our team. Not to mention the fact that we have already gotten ripped off in trades involving core players like Kesler, Luongo and Schneider. Now imagine we trade the Sedins and get some poor return, there would be a riot and the GM might get fired just for that.

What the hell is going on with the refs? Still? 2 PPs in 3 games vs 13? LA clearly got away with lots but we are called in the final minutes on an absolute softy.

Someone should have accidentally shot the puck for Devorski's face.

I don't think they're doing enough. At least from what I saw in the third period tonight. They did nothing to force the issue and make the Kings chase. At all. This team isn't a fast team and in terms of overall physicality league wide, I think they're only average. So if you're not a fast team and you're getting outplayed regularly, where are the calls going to come from? However, the Sharks have had more PPs than the Canucks going back to the 2012-2013 season, at least, by nearly a 2:1 ratio, including the playoffs that year where it was a 24:10 advantage. I mentioned this last night. I try not to be a conspiracy nut but that's bullshit. How else can you explain such a discrepancy? I'd love to hear it.

I was at the game tonight and from watching it I gathered 3 things

1) We don't have enough skill on the team clearly. The forwards are too much of a mash up of a bunch of grinders and two way players that they can't make any plays. They were too content with getting the puck past the red line and dumping and chasing the puck. Very little if any pressure was made in the offensive zone. When we did make plays which were a rarity tonight we actually not bad, but the lack of finish and offensive skill wasn't able to contend with the Kings.

2) For all those Miller haters that will fault him on the tying goal, without him tonight it could have been an easy blow away game since the forwards and defense in front of him hung him out to dry. He was really good...yeah maybe one hiccup goal but his team in front of him was piss poor bad. He held us in the game and really was the rock for us. I have full confidence in him...he has looked questionable at times throughout the season but tonights game, a big rivalry game (also noted lack of emotion and passion was quite a boring game) Miller can really rise to the call when needed.

3) The team really lacks a defensemen who can push the pace. LA's Doughty, mcbain and Martinez since they were puckmovers can really push the play in one zone and up the ice. The Canucks lack of skill not only upfront but on the backend and are plugging multiple holes with just average Dman.

I literally almost fell asleep during the game in the stands because the pace of the game played by the Nucks was so incredibly boring. No energy, no spark, no passion, no nothing

This ^^.

Sigh!

Look its hard to argue with you. Two clean looks and you hope your prize goalie gets em. Not tipped, screened...

But its not fair either. Williams shot was dead eye and the 2knd was a whistling slapper in close when Miller was forced across the crease. Not fair because they were not whiffs or bad goals either. And he was stellar the rest of the game.

I chalk that up to good goals. Which LA probably deserved cuz they were carrying the play.

We just have to get better, control the puck more and stay out of the box.

I agree with you 100 percent. But you have to consider Miller's play style. He plays an out of net style to limit angles for mid to long range shots. So this leads to two ideas. Either Miller was out of net like he was supposed to, which means then he should be responsible for the save. Or Miller was to close to the net which again is a goalie error. The only things that Miller is accountable for are shots that are close range, deflections, inability to react to a bad rebound. This was the case on the first goal. Which NO ONE can blame him on. But you can blame him on the last two sorry especially at cruch time. The second goal he was to close to his net(HIS FAULT). The third goal he was in good position but he couldn't make the save.

Archived