The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Corrado up, Sanguinetti down

Maniwaki Canuck

Yeah, I have no doubt that Sanguinetti's level of play this season has been noticed by a few front offices around the league. And if he doesn't get a chance here, he will somewhere else next season.

But the demotion and Corrado callup seem to speak to two things: (1) that there at no injuries and the regulars will play (and the Utica spare will continue to sit) and (2) that the switch is just to get Bobby back down where he's needed and to get him back playing ahead of the AHL All-Star. Plus he's creeping up on his 30 days, so it was time for a rotation anyway.

I'm pretty sure that if there was a chance for a Utica D to actually play a game with the Canucks, Bobby would probably take that opportunity over playing another All Star Game. But unless something truly drastic happens, I just don't see Desjardins making the switch.

And I'm starting to feel like if we got down to only five healthy Ds (among the regulars), Willie might just tap Burr instead of going with the "unknown commodity" of our AHL depth. ;)

I kid, I kid (mostly).

But again, I'm not gonna feel too bad for Bobby because I'm pretty confident he's going to play his way back into another opportunity in the NHL next season.

I'm just gonna feel bad for us Canucks fans if it happens somewhere else and he proves to be anything close to as good at the NHL level as his AHL play this year has suggested.

Benning on the Team1040 today:https://soundcloud.com/team-radio-interviews/sekeres-price-benning-jan-8

Any temptation to play Corrado, or any other D: feel he's played real well and he's ready to play NHL games. 6 D were all healthy when he was up though and didn't want him sitting around so rotated others as well from AHL.

Biega and Sanguinetti got their chance as well but no spot opened up for them to play, so Benning wasn't going to sit a regular just to get them in.

The critical point no one seems to be paying attention to.

Ya, not till the 26th. Harsh that Sanguinetti stays up for 2 weeks just to get passed over when an opportunity occurs.

Ossi already put that one in it's place: he could play a lot of games for us and still make it to the AHL all-star game on time.

Benning on the Team1040 today:https://soundcloud.com/team-radio-interviews/sekeres-price-benning-jan-8

Any temptation to play Corrado, or any other D: feel he's played real well and he's ready to play NHL games. 6 D were all healthy when he was up though and didn't want him sitting around so rotated others as well from AHL.

Biega and Sanguinetti got their chance as well but no spot opened up for them to play, so Benning wasn't going to sit a regular just to get them in.

Weber really got rocked a couple times last night, which is why I thought in the least it was an opportunity to give him a "maintenance day" and get Bobby in, even if for just one game.

Yeah, but that only shows that they have a pretty mechanical understanding of what a "spot" is. And it doesn't explain why Sanguinetti is going down when one may be opening up, with Weber possibly hurt. Anyway, this does show that it's not just Willie who thinks this way.

Veterans that have proven it before absolutely need to have more leniency than a young player. Not doing so would be Coaching suicide and can create huge problems in the dressing room. Your theory is fine until you put personalities in front of it.

I don't think for Bieksa it's for lack of commitment, rather a declining ability due to age, wear and tear. He has been bad, but it scares me to think what Weber or Sbisa would do with the increased workload.

Sanguinetti only goes down because of AHL all star reasons. Definitely been the best in Utica and I agree deserves a shot.

They deserve MORE leniency (and in the case of guys like Bieksa have had a ton of leniency already), not INDEFINITE leniency though. The veterans are the ones who should be able to make the adjustments necessary to improve their effectiveness especially as they get over and their skill/speed starts declining. If they don't make those adjustments though and just keep doing the same things hoping that eventually things will work out because of what they did 4 years ago it becomes a very unhealthy environment for accountability overall.

Yup.

I fail to see what rotating prospects up to merely practice with the team has to do with getting one. Even if it did, sending Sanguinetti down for Corrodo is counter to that.

to be successful in athletics you have to envision what the level you want to attain it is like, put yourself in that position to learn how to adapt. If they get a taste of what it is like with the pace of play, talent level systems, etc... they can better visualize what they need to do to have a chance to improve and develop. Yes it is only practice but it is a major step...

Yeah, and as much as I've complained about Sanguinetti not playing, if I'm being truly honest, this is the fair way to handle a roster when your regulars are healthy and available to play. The Canucks appear to have had the bodies all season among their regulars on D, and those guys earned their spots.

The callups had their opportunities as spares, but nothing opened up.

I've just been high on Sanguinetti since the day he signed papers with Vancouver, and he's done nothing but live up to my expectations of him. I just wish I could see for myself what the 2015 version of Bobby Sanguinetti can bring as an NHL player.

But as much as I want him to play, I suppose I would always stop short of healthy scratching one of our current guys, especially while this team is sitting where it is in the standings.

My only concern is that I feel like we've already had some guys playing through injuries this season and I especially suspect that Bieksa has a nagging issue of some kind. He came in and blew away everyone with his fitness levels during testing, but has not looked "fit" on many shifts and especially late in some games, which makes me suspect he isn't 100%. And while I certainly can't prove it, it really seems like we've being playing regulars some nights when they could use games off to heal.

If that's the case, I'm not sure it's the best plan for the long term, especially if it means guys are needlessly worn down when the playoffs come around (assuming we hold position).

So while I can accept, with reluctance, not seeing Bobby get some games, if the healthy regulars aren't actually playing "healthy", then continuing to sit our depth players might prove to be something Benning and Desjardins regret later.

But hopefully I'm wrong and we've really had 6 healthy regulars available for every game Sanguinetti (and the others) have sat out.

Think about it: Benning has set up a sort of reward system. Work your way to the top of the AHL roster, earn a couple week long call up, earn NHL money in that time, and familiarize yourself with the team. If an injury happens while they're up, then they'll get to play. I personally like this philosophy a lot. All businesses need to have some sort of incentive program to keep its employees engaged on a month-to-month basis.

Yeah, but that only shows that they have a pretty mechanical understanding of what a "spot" is. And it doesn't explain why Sanguinetti is going down when one may be opening up, with Weber possibly hurt. Anyway, this does show that it's not just Willie who thinks this way.

Well, that'd be where the all star information comes in I guess.

Yeah, and as much as I've complained about Sanguinetti not playing, if I'm being truly honest, this is the fair way to handle a roster when your regulars are healthy and available to play. The Canucks appear to have had the bodies all season among their regulars on D, and those guys earned their spots.

The callups had their opportunities as spares, but nothing opened up.

I've just been high on Sanguinetti since the day he signed papers with Vancouver, and he's done nothing but live up to my expectations of him. I just wish I could see for myself what the 2015 version of Bobby Sanguinetti can bring as an NHL player.

But as much as I want him to play, I suppose I would always stop short of healthy scratching one of our current guys, especially while this team is sitting where it is in the standings.

My only concern is that I feel like we've already had some guys playing through injuries this season and I especially suspect that Bieksa has a nagging issue of some kind. He came in and blew away everyone with his fitness levels during testing, but has not looked "fit" on many shifts and especially late in some games, which makes me suspect he isn't 100%. And while I certainly can't prove it, it really seems like we've being playing regulars some nights when they could use games off to heal.

If that's the case, I'm not sure it's the best plan for the long term, especially if it means guys are needlessly worn down when the playoffs come around (assuming we hold position).

So while I can accept, with reluctance, not seeing Bobby get some games, if the healthy regulars aren't actually playing "healthy", then continuing to sit our depth players might prove to be something Benning and Desjardins regret later.

But hopefully I'm wrong and we've really had 6 healthy regulars available for every game Sanguinetti (and the others) have sat out.

Absolutely on all counts. At some point we'll have to test our depth and see if they're worth keeping around. Otherwise, we'll have questions without answers when players like Forsling, Hutton, Tryamkin, etc. come to play in the AHL (and eventually the NHL).

Then you have never played a team sport like hockey. Because for accountability to really work long term to create an environment where people put in their best and correct their weakensses (in ANY environment not just hockey) it needs to apply to all players no matter their age, standing on the team, etc.

If a veteran player plays like crap for a half season like Bieksa has they should be held accountable for it just like a young player would. Otherwise it is not really accountability from a team perspective. It is telling everyone on the team that it is acceptable for vets to mail it in. And that is always a bad environment to foster.

I don't understand why someone's first thought when replying is a poor attempt to belittle. You have no clue what kinda of teams I currently or have previously played on.

They deserve MORE leniency (and in the case of guys like Bieksa have had a ton of leniency already), not INDEFINITE leniency though. The veterans are the ones who should be able to make the adjustments necessary to improve their effectiveness especially as they get over and their skill/speed starts declining. If they don't make those adjustments though and just keep doing the same things hoping that eventually things will work out because of what they did 4 years ago it becomes a very unhealthy environment for accountability overall.

Go ahead and bench one of your alternate captains and see what happens. I guess by the same logic, you would bench Henrik if he fell into a prolonged slump because he somehow needs to learn to be accountable. Thats downright laughable. The veterans are the most accountable players on the team. I think it's safe to assume that Bieksa has addressed his struggles with the group or atleast with Daniel and Henrik and they are 100% behind him. How could they not be?? They have been teammates for years. You of all people should know that you don't all of a sudden turn your back on a teammate just because he is struggling. He can and should be given as long as needed to play out of it.

I agree with this, but one way to do it without humiliating anyone would be in back-to-back situations, as a maintenance day. When you've got depth, this is a smart way to use it.

I agree, a benching won't work if it's sold with negative messaging. If it is sold as a day off for "maintenance" or "rest" it could work. It would send the message that WD knows he is a vital team member and is willing to be patient through mistakes. Sometimes a game or 2 off through a month can provide some mental relaxation and allow a player to rethink their game.

We tried the humiliation game last year on our players and we suffered arguably the most humiliating season since the Messier years, possibly in franchise history (considering how far we fell in 3 seasons). I prefer WD's positive message towards success. He doesn't live in lala fairy land, but he sees the benefit of positive messaging and reinforcement.

Bieksa caused an own goal in the last game and then turns the puck over directly leaving to a goal against.

Give Corrado or Sanguetti 16 minutes, then share the extra 4 minutes amongst Sbisa (+1 minute), Tanev (+2 minutes) and Hamhuis (+1 minute). I know this would never in a million years happen, but scratch Bieksa and his lousy 20 minutes:

Edler (24 mins) - Tanev (22 mins)

Hamhuis (22 mins) - Sbisa (20 mins)

Stanton (16 mins) - Corrado (16 mins)

Archived