The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who is going to be our first line for 15/16?

Drakrami

They have us sitting second in the pacific and leading our team in points by a substantial margin. If that's no where, then I'll take it.

Yeah but come playoff time they get shutdown fairly easily, not all the time but the last couple seasons they get completely shut down and our 2nd line has not been able to counter that

Okay...I'm gonna try to decipher what is written here^^^^.

"...make the sedons play with Zack Kassan..." - okay, I get that part. Buddy wants to see Kass play with the Sedins.

"...he will be a future 50 goal guy..." - okay, I get this part too. Buddy thinks if Kass plays with the Sedins, Kass could be a 50 goal scorer. A long shot, but possible.

"...making him a burrow kind of player." - Buddy is saying that if Kass plays with the "Sedons", Kass will somehow become a player like "burrow". I guess anything is possible.

Anyhow, back to OP's question...IMO, first line for 2015-2016: Daniel -- Henrik -- Vrbata. I don't think we're going to see much change (barring injuries).

"We can also use more confidence in Kassan now that Sestito is gone, because Sestito was not a good hockey player just throw punches." - I don't know what to make of this sentence...can anyone help?

I dont know what to make either. I was just thinking maybe Sestito is a better fighter then kassan. Maybe Sesto can take top line duty if kassan wont

Yeah, yeah, yeah.

We attract a good free agent who fills exactly a niche we need. Gets named an all star. And you propose to trade him. Exactly what message dows that send?

And here is your quote > ''So Vrbata, until the deadline where he'll be dealt to a contender for picks." Where exactly does it suggest next year??? Not that TL/JB will be tanking next year either.

Rather than ostracize our free agents, I'd bet more heavily on us picking up a stud D UFA this off season? Not scaring them away...

Well, the threads kind of about the 15/16 season I have no idea why anyone would be talking about this year!

And I guess it's opininated about tge resigning thing, but I see both of these guys (Bonino in particular) as guys who will want to win the Cup. Uf we can somehow manage to nab a stud #1 and shore up our offence perhaps we stand a chance of resigning them.

Okay...I'm gonna try to decipher what is written here^^^^.

"...make the sedons play with Zack Kassan..." - okay, I get that part. Buddy wants to see Kass play with the Sedins.

"...he will be a future 50 goal guy..." - okay, I get this part too. Buddy thinks if Kass plays with the Sedins, Kass could be a 50 goal scorer. A long shot, but possible.

"...making him a burrow kind of player." - Buddy is saying that if Kass plays with the "Sedons", Kass will somehow become a player like "burrow". I guess anything is possible.

Anyhow, back to OP's question...IMO, first line for 2015-2016: Daniel -- Henrik -- Vrbata. I don't think we're going to see much change (barring injuries).

"We can also use more confidence in Kassan now that Sestito is gone, because Sestito was not a good hockey player just throw punches." - I don't know what to make of this sentence...can anyone help?

I dont know what to make either. I was just thinking maybe Sestito is a better fighter then kassan. Maybe Sesto can take top line duty if kassan wont

Either he's smoking a real good s**t, or we need a real good cryptanalyst to decrypt hidden message if there's any :blink:.

Well if they serve us more of that crap like I saw last night they wont even finish the season as 1st liners!

Holy crap by next year their all out foot speed will involve all four limbs lol probably just end up skating backwards lol Somebody get them a Cane lol Nobody in the NHL is seriously that slow! Except them :(

First line??? Cant out race anything in sight........I don't think so!!!

Next year will be Bonino or an acquisition. Don't hold your breath for the acquisition.

Next years top line is gonna = a big ol :(

Worry about next year next year.

That is precisely what Gillis did, and look where that got us? Aging Sedins with no immediate replacements waiting in the wings.

We absolutely should worry about next year now (although really, we should have worried about next year two years ago), but c'est la vie.

Benning is putting into place an infrastructure to ensure a continual pipeline of prospects.

As for the OP, I expect to see something along these lines for next year:

Jensen/Matthias - Bonino - Virtanen/Kassian/Vey

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata

Jensen/Matthias/Burrows - Horvat - Virtanen/Kassian/Vey/Hansen

Dorsett/Burrows/Higgins - Gaunce - Kassian/Hansen/Dorsett

Barring any kind of trades, of course.

Unless something earth shattering happens, like us drafting McDavid or Eichel by some fluke/sheisty draft day trading, Bonino is going to be our #1C for the time being, at least the next 1-2 seasons after this. Unfortunately I don't see us having the ability to wait until Ryan Johansen becomes UFA, he's at least 6 years away from UFA status.

Bonino as 1C is only a stop gap for 1-2 years until someone can either emerge, or Benning finds a way to trade for a legit #1C

Well we all knew we were in for this ride a couple years back. At least the guys in charge now inspire some confidence that they will get the job done right! this time around

That game against Calgary was the first time since last year that I found myself shouting out loud my displeasure with our group play. Hopefully its not gonna be a repeat of last year cause that was the definition of painful.

Well we all knew we were in for this ride a couple years back. At least the guys in charge now inspire some confidence that they will get the job done right! this time around

That game against Calgary was the first time since last year that I found myself shouting out loud my displeasure with our group play. Hopefully its not gonna be a repeat of last year cause that was the definition of painful.

That said, if this year were to be a repeat of last year, it would significantly accelerate our goal of finding a 1C replacement for Henrik <_<

If we get anywhere in the Top 10, due to a phenomenal tank job in the second half of this season, I could see Benning go hard for 1st overall. If it's Buffalo, I could see a deal being made; the Canucks have plenty of veterans that Buffalo could use to help groom their rather young core group, that and Buffalo is already more than set at the C position.... Reinhart, Giergensons, Grigorenko, Hodgson (who will turn things around, in some kind of a funk this season).

Yes if we end up like last year again I think JB will ship some of the vets out at the deadline. Bieksa, Higgins, Hansen and Burrows if he will leave lol. maybe even one or two more.

Picking a good talent would be the only good thing about a repeat of last season. The only thing is we don't want to have the same issue as Edmonton by shipping out every last one of our vets.

I would prefer to at least watch one round of play off hockey then pick in the top 10. I wouldn't mind seeing some vets moved at deadline either.

We don't have a center who's going to replace Henrik Sedin, so as far as we're concerned we're stuck with the Sedins until they're producing less points than Bonino or Horvat, which is about 50 points max.

Finding a good play maker is hard these days. The first thing I noticed about Crosby and McDavid is how well they are at playmaking( but unlike Henrik they don't need a empty net to score) and look at their draft range.

The op does bring up a good point though, (he just got the timing way off). When the sedins retire, this team will be garbage for awhile. Even with Shinkaruk turning into P. Kane (which is unlikely). Kassian has a bit of play making ability but he needs to work on it a bit.

even though it would work on paper, I don't see it working out in reality cause Jagr needs fast players around him to make up for his speed and so do the sedins. Together they would be like watching hockey in slow motion. But Jagr protects the puck really well, so you never know.

Actually the best option would be Jagr on our 2nd line with Higgins and Burrows, but then of course there is no center lol, Sedins with Vrbata. But our PP would be the Sedins and Jagr, would be sick. I guess not having an actual center on the 2nd line wouldn't matter anyways, we can't win faceoffs so it would still work out.

Archived