The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who is going to be our first line for 15/16?

Drakrami

Let's face it. Our beloved Sedins, which our team have relied so much on, will be turning 35 years old. This season, they are still top 30 in points league-wise so it tells us they are still doing a good job at being first liners. However, if you look at that list closely, no one is nearly as old as they are.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?fetchKey=20152ALLSASAll&sort=points&viewName=summary

Just thinking about this gets me worried. Running down our list of potential first line prospect ready within the next 2 years, we have Kassian, Horvat, Jensen, Shinkaruk, and Virtanen. Kassian and Horvat is already in our lineup and given the minutes to show themselves. I think we definitely need to start playing Jensen more this season.

I hope Benning already have a plan. Such as digging into the summer free agency. I don't see how we can land any first liners via trades.

Well considering they're still on pace for 70-80 points while everyone else on our team is aiming for 50 points or less, I don't see why the Sedins wouldn't be on our first line next year.

It's not like we're going to develop a brand new first line in the next 6 months, what are you expecting to be our first line?

The twins are under contract for 2 more seasons after this one so they're not going anywhere.

In the meantime, we need to hope our prospects can become second liners, let alone first liners.

Right now there's a huge gap in the succession plan and therefore it likely won't be as smooth a transition to the younger guard as there was when we had the Westcoast Express, with a second line of the twins, followed by our third/fourth liners led by Kes and Burr.

It's the price we now have to pay for MG going all in for his last 3 seasons.

Well considering they're still on pace for 70-80 points while everyone else on our team is aiming for 50 points or less, I don't see why the Sedins wouldn't be on our first line next year.

It's not like we're going to develop a brand new first line in the next 6 months, what are you expecting to be our first line?

^This. Is there someone better even if they are declining?

/thread

If anyone's answer is anything but Sedin, Sedin and fill in the blank....you're delusional.

Yep.

Better question might be who is our first line when the Sedin's are not???

Might be 34 but there still our top offensive guys and doubt one offseason is going to change that.

If the NHL and it's officials would actually give us more than 1 PP a game their numbers would be much higher. In short if the Sedins were playing for a Californian team they would be on pace for 100 point seasons.

You and Apollo...have some compassion, man! Those refs log in to CDC every night and get soooo depressed. The humanity!

Harrumph.

Look, unless the team goes nutso and makes a blockbuster trade (or two), the Sedins are our first line. Insert [winger], and that's that.

But to play the game, I'm going to say Sedin-Sedin-Burrows for next season. I sure hope they start to click again. Having a kickasp first line once more would be awesome.

Sedins are still near PPG at this point in the season, and I don't see any replacements ready or required for them next season. Sedin Sedin Vrbata/(insert player here) for next year, after that we may see the top 6 landscape in Vancouver change a bit, but this year and next for certain the Sedins are top line and top PP.

Let's face it. Our beloved Sedins, which our team have relied so much on, will be turning 35 years old. This season, they are still top 30 in points league-wise so it tells us they are still doing a good job at being first liners. However, if you look at that list closely, no one is nearly as old as they are.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?fetchKey=20152ALLSASAll&sort=points&viewName=summary

Just thinking about this gets me worried. Running down our list of potential first line prospect ready within the next 2 years, we have Kassian, Horvat, Jensen, Shinkaruk, and Virtanen. Kassian and Horvat is already in our lineup and given the minutes to show themselves. I think we definitely need to start playing Jensen more this season.

I hope Benning already have a plan. Such as digging into the summer free agency. I don't see how we can land any first liners via trades.

Linden Vey has more NHL points this year than Kassian, Horvat, and Jensen combined, and of course Shinkaruk and Virtanen have not even played in the NHL. Shinkaruk and Jensen are struggling to get to half a point per game in the AHL, while Vey was a point-a-game player. And Vey is of course the only one to win a CHL scoring title.

And Vey has improved his game this year and is still young (younger than Kassian).

I am not saying Vey is a complete player, but he is kind of like Rodney Dangerfield -- he doesn't get any respect.

Linden Vey has more NHL points this year than Kassian, Horvat, and Jensen combined, and of course Shinkaruk and Virtanen have not even played in the NHL. Shinkaruk and Jensen are struggling to get to half a point per game in the AHL, while Vey was a point-a-game player. And Vey is of course the only one to win a CHL scoring title.

And Vey has improved his game this year and is still young (younger than Kassian).

I am not saying Vey is a complete player, but he is kind of like Rodney Dangerfield -- he doesn't get any respect.

Actually I love Vey, and Matthias. They work hard every shift and are playing well. They are potential second liners to me though. A first liner is someone who can put up 60+ points in a 82 game season. I just don't see that high of a potential from Vey, for now.

The twins are under contract for 2 more seasons after this one so they're not going anywhere.

In the meantime, we need to hope our prospects can become second liners, let alone first liners.

Right now there's a huge gap in the succession plan and therefore it likely won't be as smooth a transition to the younger guard as there was when we had the Westcoast Express, with a second line of the twins, followed by our third/fourth liners led by Kes and Burr.

It's the price we now have to pay for MG going all in for his last 3 seasons.

I believe they are under contract for 3 more seasons, following this one. At $7MM each, per.....!!!

Archived