The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hitting/Body Checking

dbutcher

It's been awhile here, so maybe it's time for a little reminder of what the playoffs are like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Rs-XFa1ye8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h13-1WXlB6k

And of course this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnKQSHAFSzI

This was the Canucks at their cockiest.

More power:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsaJ7zU51fw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDdWgXLFJOM

We only lost to the Bruins because they were less banged-up than us. We TRUCKED through the west. Literally.

"But why oh why did we miss out on... David Pastrnak!?! pew! pew pew!"

lul

NHL Playoffs are a warrior's game. So you better be ready for war. If you're not, then stay the f out.

Steve Ott's hit in the first vid was a little dirty. Then I saw it was Duncan Keith so I watched it again for fun.

Loved Rypper finishing off the set. Nice collection Ban.

What's that, we have more hits than the Blackhawks? They must suck. And the Oilers have more hits than us? Must mean they're better.

There's more to the game than hits, especially since the only time you can throw a hit is when you don't have the puck. I'd rather have the puck.

As a team, in my opinion, they need to throw more good clean hits "To separate the player from the puck", They can then have the puck as you say, in Theory.

The ducks put on a very good display of this last game. I have not seen much of this from the canucks lately.

We can no longer beat teams with our speed and finesse................ or so it seems.

I still love this team, will cheer till the end, if we're not gonna win it all, at least give it 100% and make it fun to watch.

different buildings record hits with different standards, so teams with most hits recorded are usually the teams whose home building is the most lax in their hit standards, while the ones with the least are usually the ones with most stringent standards for hits. comparing a teams recorded hits over a season is a pointless exercise without adjusting for building bias (which is nearly impossible to do, or at least completely pointless). game to game comparisons are better but usually run into home team bias.

I don't think the amount of hits really makes much of a difference in wins other then style. The important thing is balance to a team. a balance of speed, skill and size. All have roles and can contribute. Our problem is our skill is extremely slow, our size (limited) doesn't hit and we are left with floating grinders who were never drafted to be scorers! this is not a recipe for success despite having a very good coach.

Change it up a bit,, put some size on each line and don't use your size to play third man high (Kassians role)

Goddamn it I miss Raffi Torres and Maxim Lapierre. They were both runaway freight trains in that 2011 playoff run. This current team is just way too soft to wear down opposing teams in a post-season run. Outside of Kassian and sometimes Hansen, they don't have any big hitters on the forward lines. Edler and Sbisa are pretty much the only defencemen who can provide some thunderous checks, but they need way more physicality on this team.

Bring back the Torres Turbo Diesel!

Goddamn it I miss Raffi Torres and Maxim Lapierre. They were both runaway freight trains in that 2011 playoff run. This current team is just way too soft to wear down opposing teams in a post-season run. Outside of Kassian and sometimes Hansen, they don't have any big hitters on the forward lines. Edler and Sbisa are pretty much the only defencemen who can provide some thunderous checks, but they need way more physicality on this team.

Bring back the Torres Turbo Diesel!

What'd you think of Kenins last night?

disappointed with the lack of physical play of this team for a couple season the fore check is terrible they go to the puck and don't take out the man. losing so many battles alone the board because they just don't hit at either end of the ice.

lead by example and if thats the case then i see why the team doesn't hit, doesn't go for retribution or in some cases even stand up for themselves let alone each other.

What'd you think of Kenins last night?

I've liked Kenins' play. I don't think he's a big hitter but he does seem to have an abrasive side which can be very useful. He seems to have stocky build so opposing players are going to feel it when he hits them. Not as much as when Torres trainwrecked people but still effective.

disappointed with the lack of physical play of this team for a couple season the fore check is terrible they go to the puck and don't take out the man. losing so many battles alone the board because they just don't hit at either end of the ice.

lead by example and if thats the case then i see why the team doesn't hit, doesn't go for retribution or in some cases even stand up for themselves let alone each other.

Exactly. They are way too passive. If your PP sucks, it's not a deterrent from opponents taking cheapshots on your best players (Getzlaf on H. Sedin, Perry on D. Sedin).

Enough with the turn the other cheek garbage. Go back at them. Even if they get a penalty, the message needs to be sent plus the PK has been excellent.

Exactly. They are way too passive. If your PP sucks, it's not a deterrent from opponents taking cheapshots on your best players (Getzlaf on H. Sedin, Perry on D. Sedin).

Enough with the turn the other cheek garbage. Go back at them. Even if they get a penalty, the message needs to be sent plus the PK has been excellent.

Totally with you on this one... Only issue is that they tried that last year and although it was brilliant to see them fight back in the 1-0 loss to Kings, they just are not good enough at the rough and tumble long term... Think that was JB's message as well. We need to get bigger...

Totally with you on this one... Only issue is that they tried that last year and although it was brilliant to see them fight back in the 1-0 loss to Kings, they just are not good enough at the rough and tumble long term... Think that was JB's message as well. We need to get bigger...

Yeah, that game was frustrating and entertaining at the same time. They finally show some backbone but couldn't muster a stinking goal.

It's getting harder TO hit/body check because everything's under the microscope. I think you have some guys/teams holding back a bit and the restraint is because they've paid a price when they have engaged in the physical game.

Personally, that's how I like hockey to be played (Rock 'em Sock 'em). But there are teams designed for that and others that get sucked into it. I think it's about picking your spots wisely and we could probably engage a bit more, however, it slows us down (even more). You can lose a step that way but the tradeoff is it sends a message.

I've liked Kenins' play. I don't think he's a big hitter but he does seem to have an abrasive side which can be very useful. He seems to have stocky build so opposing players are going to feel it when he hits them. Not as much as when Torres trainwrecked people but still effective.

I think Kenins and Dorsett can provide some solid energy hitting from the 4th line however, teams that use hitting effectively, have player throughout the line-up that can use the body to win battles as well as keep other teams honest with physical play. Nothing leads to costly turnovers more than some guy coughing up the puck in fear of being hit or while being hit.

Our team is soft as butter in the top 6 and marginally physical in the bottom 6. no-one in our top 6 (or even 9) causes defending teams to panic with the puck for fear of being hit.

Our top 3 is so soft, they can't even pressure in the o-zone unless they start with the puck. A total lack of physical presence and a lack of speed prevent them from playing aggressive for fear of getting beat on the transition.

Bottom line - this team is not built to play a physical game and you can't add a "hitter" and change that culture. Benning will have to start re-building the make-up over time with guys like Vertanen, who play physical and have offensive skill.

I think Dorsett is quickly becoming a favourite of mine...pure energy and he has that work ethic that the little team that could did when it challenged for the cup. Love that he gives 110% and that includes playing a hard, physical game.

As long as the twins are getting the majority of ice time we will always be a soft team.

I lost respect for them after the Marchand incident. Seriously, who lets someone half their size repeatedly punch them in the face.

I can only imagine what the rest of the team was thinking when they saw that.

Archived