The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] MLSE approves major Leafs rebuild; "Mr.Phaneuf & Mr.Kessel are not in the plan"

Burke was in a tough situation during the kessel trade. He had no clue he was trading a second overall pick cause he made the trade before the season even started. If he knew that maybe the leafs would be in a different spot right now.

That year Phil had enough gwg as well that it dropped the pick to 2nd, they would of had the 1st and picked Hall had he not done the deal.

Wrong. On all counts.

I've been a Canuck fan since day 1 of the franchise.

I was in favor of not signing high profile UFA's in the off-season, instead signing a capable backup for Eddie and letting the youngsters vie for more positions with the big club. Right away, my position was met with assertions that we would "turn into the Oilers" and "Destroy our prospects' confidence"...(You know, the way 19 year old Bo Horvat has been "destroyed")

But even worse was the general consensus of how much money the team would lose if we did a true rebuild. Apparently, it's a foregone conclusion that fans would stop coming to games if the team went that route. In fact, I think we've already seen that happen.

So show me where I'm wrong...

By you saying that you have been a canuck fan since day 1 you have proven point number 3 in my response to your post, which was that you are completely ignorant of the fact that making a generalized inference of all canuck fans as just winning hockey fans, you as a canuck fan just insulted your own dedication to this team win or lose.

I have stated myself in other threads I would be happy to cheer for the canucks through years of suck if they went into full rebuild. I have been through cheering for them in there early years, I can handle them sucking, unfortunately not all fans can.

I was myself not happy we did not stick w Lack/Markstrom this year and signed miller, although he has played great on occasion but both he and the team have crapped the bed on several occasions. Money spent on him imo could have gone to other areas of need, but thats not in my control so I will cheer for the canucks regardless of what moves Benning makes.

I am looking forward to some of our more veteran players that can be realistically moved being moved to further our retool and incorporating some prospects. I agree we havent "wrecked" Horvat show me where I as part of the the"just winning hockey fans" fanbase ever said we would.

Not all fans have stopped going to games otherwise we would quite literally an empty arena every game, which is not the case.

When you make a sweeping statement about an entire fanbase and what it may or may think make sure the entire fanbase thinks the same way otherwise you look like a fool. General consensus is not unanimous its general which means there are other opinions.

This should get the TO hockey media all excited about deadline day, esp. when guys like Dreger think Clarkson can be traded, but watch Nonis do nothing.

A massive Dion or Kessel trade needs to happen pretty much now, not at the deadline. If it doesn't, then it will have to wait until the draft. Even then, they're going to have to take salary back, it's too late for McEichel for them, and they already have a bunch of young guys already in place, so the 'scorched earth' thing might be overblown.

Interestingly, they should've been able to make the playoffs this season. The fact that they're like this now means that MLSE itself needs to be the first to go.

Dreger thinks Clarkson can be traded? Wtf maybe if they can find a contract just as bad to take up his slack.

In all the years I've supported the Leafs this year seems the most fruitless.

The entire team is uninspired night in and night out.

Bernier hasn't been good enough, Kessel hasn't been able to carry his line, and the defence has been shocking.

In all these years of futility to only have 3 pieces drafted by the team to be excited about is laughable.

Nylander, Rielly, JVR, and Bernier can stay. Shuttle the rest out for picks.

Retain big money on Phil and Dion for the next 3 years and we can get a wicked return I think.

Lots of teams could use a guy like Bozak who brings a lot to the table.

Useful pieces like Komarov, Winnik, Santorelli can land us 2nds and 3rds I think.

This is the draft to get picks in and we should be trying our best to tank tank tank.

I agree, I woudn't be suprised if Toronto "magically" gets the #1 pick, just like 2004 when the Penguins got the top pick (crosby) the same time there was a " build a new arena or we'll move" squabble

I would not be surprised if they won too, since it is clearly possible they can win. I was also not surprised Pens won, since they had the 2nd best chance of winning the lottery.

Quite a few people on here need to figure out how a lottery works. It essentially means anyone with a chance of winning can indeed win.

In all the years I've supported the Leafs this year seems the most fruitless.

The entire team is uninspired night in and night out.

Bernier hasn't been good enough, Kessel hasn't been able to carry his line, and the defence has been shocking.

In all these years of futility to only have 3 pieces drafted by the team to be excited about is laughable.

Nylander, Rielly, JVR, and Bernier can stay. Shuttle the rest out for picks.

Retain big money on Phil and Dion for the next 3 years and we can get a wicked return I think.

Lots of teams could use a guy like Bozak who brings a lot to the table.

Useful pieces like Komarov, Winnik, Santorelli can land us 2nds and 3rds I think.

This is the draft to get picks in and we should be trying our best to tank tank tank.

Won't do much good if they do things like this:

Toronto Maple Leafs acquire

Toronto_Maple_Leafs.gif 2011 1st round pick (#22-Tyler Biggs)

Anaheim Ducks acquire

2011 1st round pick (#30-Rickard Rakell)

2011 2nd round pick (#39-John Gibson)

Anaheim_Ducks.gif

and this:

Toronto_Maple_Leafs.gif 2010 2nd round pick (#32-Jared Knight)

Chicago Blackhawks acquire

2011 2nd round pick (#43-Brandon Saad)

2011 3rd round pick (#69-Michael Paliotta)

Chicago_Blackhawks.gif

And this:

Toronto_Maple_Leafs.gif 2009 2nd round pick (#59-Jesse Blacker)

Buffalo Sabres acquire

Dominic Moore

Buffalo_Sabres.gif

...to then do this….

Toronto_Maple_Leafs.gifPeter Holland

Brad Staubitz

Anaheim Ducks acquire

Jesse Blacker

2014 3rd round pick

2014 7th round pick Anaheim_Ducks.gif

or this:

Toronto_Maple_Leafs.gifDave Bolland

Chicago Blackhawks acquire

2013 2nd round pick (#51-Carl Dahlstrom)

2013 4th round pick (#117-Fredrik Bergvik)

2014 4th round pick Chicago_Blackhawks.gif

The list goes on and on, my friend.

There needs to be new leadership with a real clue of what they are doing first.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/12/kessel-almost-seems-resigned-to-toronto-less-fate/

Kessel almost seemed resigned to Toronto-less fate

Whether he likes dealing with the Toronto media or not, Maple Leafs star Phil Kessel can't ignore the headlines any better than anyone else.

That probably explains the seemingly defeated comments Kessel made following Thursday's 3-2 loss to the New York Islanders, as he almost seemed to shrug his shoulders – if sadly – at the prospect of being traded.

TSN's Mark Masters has the eye-brow raising quote:

"I go where they want me," Kessel said. "I love Toronto. If it's not here it's not here."

Sheesh.

It was a mixed bag of an effort for the Leafs in tonight's loss against the Islanders; one might give them a seven on the "give-a-blank meter." Still, Toronto lost its 21st of its last 25 games and there were sloppy moments like the opening goal:

*can be seen in the article link*

When Kessel signed a contract extension with the Leafs, some were surprised that he was OK with signing on to continue the soap opera in Toronto. As it turns out, he might not play a game for the Buds once that new deal kicks in.

You can see it in Kessel's face and hear it in his voice. The man is defeated and TO media is riding him to the ground. Sucks because he is their best player and gets all the blame even though he's just one player capable of only doing so much. Have never seen such a pathetic franchise in the last 10 years tbh. The way they do things, it's stupider than what you'd see people proposing on these forums. Move after move how they continue to mess up is unbelievable.

Oh well, if the rebuild ensues, I really hope TO the best. If they can play their cards right, they can fix this properly in a shorter amount of time but knowing that GM they have, I doubt it. Will be interesting to see. McDavid to TO wouldn't be a bad start in all honesty. If I'm a Leafs fan - a true one, you better be wishing your odds are up there when the draft comes up cause this team has nothing going for them.

I just don't understand the deliberate scorched earth. Just seems to be horrible asset management. Sure, at some periods in a franchises' history, you need to stop making moves for the now and make all moves with an eye to the future (otherwise known as a rebuild). But just tearing everything down to the ground and deliberately sucking seems anti-competitive.

I hope Pegula loses his franchise because of too many years of humiliating futility. What the Sabers are doing right now is an embarrassment to the league. We'll see how the MLSE handles the rebuild, if they do it in a similar manner as the Sabers, I'll hope they won't make a Stanley Cup final for another 38 years.

Getting a good draft pick because you had a bad season should be a consolation prize, not what you strive for at the beginning of the season. If the Canucks ever tried to purposely tank, I'd stop watching. I'll start watching again when they're trying to be the best team they can be.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/12/kessel-almost-seems-resigned-to-toronto-less-fate/

You can see it in Kessel's face and hear it in his voice. The man is defeated and TO media is riding him to the ground. Sucks because he is their best player and gets all the blame even though he's just one player capable of only doing so much. Have never seen such a pathetic franchise in the last 10 years tbh. The way they do things, it's stupider than what you'd see people proposing on these forums. Move after move how they continue to mess up is unbelievable.

I wish some of the Sedin haters would realize that.

I wish some of the Sedin haters would realize that.

Somebody; Brick Tamland I think (?) made the comment we are the same as the Leaf's. Declining core, bad contracts and NTC's. Well, he's not completely wrong. But its also the way it was said.

First; It was said in such an apathetic way!

2knd; I wonder how a season ticket holder can see so little. The Twins come to camp in shape! Get measured at the top of the league every year. Routinely beat guys in board battles 50 lbs their senior. Chris Abtronic Higgins is not scoring goals. But he still back checks. Burrows will still get in Getzlaf's face. Fight him if he has to like last April. Even when it meant nothing. Bieksa would go down with the ship. At least these guys put their crest first.

without CapGeek I don't know what is the salary cap for each team but I kind of believe that the Islanders, the Lightning, and Preds have a ton of Cap Room. I can see on of these teams going for Kessel for that Playoff Push.

nhlnumbers.com as of this morning shows, for the 3 teams you mentioned, the following cap space:

NYI $ 5.287 million

TBL $ 3.075 million

NSH $10.7 million

Archived