The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

No Big Bang? New physics model shows universe might have existed forever

key2thecup

But it doesn't say "dinosaur", it says "behemoth".

It looks to me that people who are desperate to "prove" the veracity of the bible's teachings are attempting to bend a narrative to suit their position.

Well, it says "behemoth", "leviathan" and "tanniyn"...

what I find really interesting about their claim that any of those could mean dinosaurs and thus lived with humans is the fact that we've discovered fossils of over 1,000 different types of dinosaurs, and yet we have only 3 possible names for all of them? This from a species who differentiates between Donkeys, Horses, Mules, Zebras, et cetera....

It's not a tool, it's a process.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day, what's your excuse?

No, it's a tool. A clock is a tool for telling time, money is a tool for gaining materials or power, science is a tool to explain our surroundings. If your clock is off or broken, it won't be able to tell time correctly. If your money isn't worth anything, you can't buy much. If you don't have all the information, your science will be off. That's all.

Hey, I have another question.

If we all come from the same single cell, how did we get both sexual and asexual creatures beings that just happened to form families and kingdoms?

Isn't that like dropping marshmallows from a plane and getting them in a couple coffee mugs 30000 feet below?

No, it's a tool. A clock is a tool for telling time, money is a tool for gaining materials or power, science is a tool to explain our surroundings. If your clock is off or broken, it won't be able to tell time correctly. If your money isn't worth anything, you can't buy much. If you don't have all the information, your science will be off. That's all.

So you use science to make measurements, like weight? Do you just ask, "Science science on the wall, which is the heaviest of them all?"

If we all come from the same single cell, how did we get both sexual and asexual creatures beings that just happened to form families and kingdoms?

Isn't that like dropping marshmallows from a plane and getting them in a couple coffee mugs 30000 feet below?

I4516c7bd79643a99cf33a9c92b61a6a8592ca91e

It is something I've brought up before.

With time, things happen. Something is going to happen.

It's like dropping marshmallows from a plane and getting it into one of the billions of mugs underneath it. If not one mug, it'll just fall into another. I prefer this modem of thinking versus the idea of why did it happen this way. Does there have to be a why to inevitability?

Lol @ the war. I find it useless now why people scream and cry over God/no God. It's like they take it upon themselves personally to find the key to the answer by any means necessary. Truth be told no one will have the perfect answer and be the right one so instead of ridiculing one another and wasting time, it's best if you let people be and choose for themselves. It's like God and science can't both coexist or God can and science can't or God can't and science can.

^this video isn't the perfect answer but it puts the idea out there it's useless to fight over the "debate". If you can see through the tunnel and get the gist of the main message he's trying to imply, both sides would agree and move on.

Lol @ the war. I find it useless now why people scream and cry over God/no God. It's like they take it upon themselves personally to find the key to the answer by any means necessary. Truth be told no one will have the perfect answer and be the right one so instead of ridiculing one another and wasting time, it's best if you let people be and choose for themselves. It's like God and science can't both coexist or God can and science can't or God can't and science can.

^this video isn't the perfect answer but it puts the idea out there it's useless to fight over the "debate". If you can see through the tunnel and get the gist of the main message he's trying to imply, both sides would agree and move on.

Best comment Ive read since the OP

Best comment Ive read since the OP

No it isn't. It's basically: "Why bother discussing this? No-one is ever going to be proven right..."

If we base posting on an internet forum by that criterion, then most threads on the boards are as useless as you two claim this one to be.

Some of us are interested in how the other side thinks, which is why I've posted honest questions to Jazz and Brick. While I'm not wholly satisfied that my questions have been answered, I have gained some insight into their mindset and that of other creationists.

Nothing wrong with expanding ones understanding of people who think differently than oneself, IMHO.

It is something I've brought up before.

With time, things happen. Something is going to happen.

It's like dropping marshmallows from a plane and getting it into one of the billions of mugs underneath it. If not one mug, it'll just fall into another. I prefer this modem of thinking versus the idea of why did it happen this way. Does there have to be a why to inevitability?

Yeah, I think there does have to be a why. There's a why for everything.

But why aren't there species with more than male or female? If we've truly had how many years to evolve, shouldn't we at least a few species with three to... unlimited amount of genders?

No it isn't. It's basically: "Why bother discussing this? No-one is ever going to be proven right..."

If we base posting on an internet forum by that criterion, then most threads on the boards are as useless as you two claim this one to be.

Some of us are interested in how the other side thinks, which is why I've posted honest questions to Jazz and Brick. While I'm not wholly satisfied that my questions have been answered, I have gained some insight into their mindset and that of other creationists.

Nothing wrong with expanding ones understanding of people who think differently than oneself, IMHO.

Im not saying dont discuss at all, Im saying don't attack someone else for their beliefs, that goes for both sides! Discuss away but there is no need to belittle anyones belief system.

There's a fineline between "discussing" to "expand ones understanding". I think it's fair to say that fineline was passed a number of times already and when that happens, there's no more discussing and understanding to be gained.

It’s really stupid how people seems to think that you either believe in science or you believe in creation. They are not and certainly don’t have to be contracting theories.

The bible’s purpose isn’t to describe why the earth exists, if that was the purpose of the bible, than there would be more than one chapter out of total of 1,189, describing it.

Looking at the bible for answers on earths existence is like looking in the phone book for a meatloaf recipe. Apples and oranges. The bible isn’t a book of history, it’s not meant to be used as a timeline for recording all the events that ever happened, it’s a spiritual tool that we can use to interpreted god’s word to mold our very own lives.

Being a Christian means you are a believer of faith. You don’t need all the answer to believe. It took me a while to finally understand this, but if were constantly trying to figure things out on our own as to why, then are we really making judgment based faith, or by our own understanding.

Think of Abraham, Joshua, and even Moses, These are all stories of men following God by their faith. God had asked them to do radical things, they didn’t question what was asked, why, or try to calculate everything out as to what everything means, they just did it.

I don’t need to know everything about the creation of earth to be a believer in Christ.

seriously why is this thread still going?

talking to young earth creationist about science is like going to mental hospital and try to start a debate with the patients or try to have a serious political discussion with a 4 year old kid. Ask yourself, would you do that?

ffs they are the people who thinks trillions of chinese, indian, or whatever race are burning in hell because they have a different religous belief.... If that's not crazy i dont know what is

seriously why is this thread still going?

talking to young earth creationist about science is like going to mental hospital and try to start a debate with the patients or try to have a serious political discussion with a 4 year old kid. Ask yourself, would you do that?

ffs they are the people who thinks trillions of chinese, indian, or whatever race are burning in hell because they have a different religous belief.... If that's not crazy i dont know what is

Actually, when I was 4 years old, you could have had a serious political conversation with me. It was (and still is) more interesting to me than dinosaurs and legos.

There's a fineline between "discussing" to "expand ones understanding". I think it's fair to say that fineline was passed a number of times already and when that happens, there's no more discussing and understanding to be gained.

Disagree. But if you truly think this is the case, I'm sure you and CALGARY know the way out...

Yeah, I think there does have to be a why. There's a why for everything.

But why aren't there species with more than male or female? If we've truly had how many years to evolve, shouldn't we at least a few species with three to... unlimited amount of genders?

Why would there be more than two gender species? Two gender has been extremely effective in passing on progeny. Again, that's the way the cookie crumbled. Every cookie thrown on the ground crumbles in a distinct way. You're asking me why it didn't crumble the way you think it may crumble. Futile questions.

Say evolution went the way of three gender species. I'd be sitting here reading yoour question of why it's not two gender. This is the concept of given time, something will happen. What you see around you is what happened. There's significant reasons why it happened in terms of variable genetic processes. But these processes are random and not miraculous.

In real world application, i'll give you a couple examples.

A person has a 1 in 13,000,000 chance of winning the 649. That's enormously low. But given enough draws (ie. Time), someone will win. Is that person divinely favoured? Hardly, it just so happens that he wins this time.

Cancer is a highly prevalent disease and is the result of DNA damage or replication error. Given time, every single person would develop cancer. Maybe some won't get cancer until they hit 160 years old but the point is, it is an inevitability.

Given time, anything that has a chance of occurring, no matter how minute, will occur. Obviously this isn't applicable in certain scenarios, but it's very applicable in genetics. Genetic outcomes are also highly dependent on the environment.

Not to mention, logistically and probability wise, two gender species is much easier to get to than three gender specles. And three genders may not hold any advantage over two gender anyways. There are some species that can switch genders but what would be the point of three genders. It's a question that makes no logical sense in multiple different ways.

Archived