The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should BC Family Day Be Moved to Match Other Provinces?

DonLever

It should be moved. Or more accurately, it never should have been on a different day in the first place.

This.

From a business perspective it makes literally zero sense to have it on a different day that the rest of Canada, and the US for that matter, which has Presidents Day on the same 3rd weekend of February.

edit: I nominate both countries to realign their holiday to the day after Superbowl though.

You make it to seem like that one slow business day is the end of the world.

No, but there's no point for it. Just keep it the same, Toronto and New York markets are closed on that day, most employees throughout the US & Canada are at home, many businesses are closed, why the hell can't BC be the same? It's completely unnecessary.

BC is hipster capital of Canada. We have to be different from everyone else

At least we called it Family Day, not Louis Riel day, nor do we try to preserve a language that it is seldom spoken outside of our province or try to leave the country.

Keep it, will just cost money to change so just keep it where it is and QYB'ing. You're getting paid to not be at work, I would suggest just appreciating that and move on.

Why would people do that when there's so much whining about the government to be done?

I think I gave a pretty valid reason why some might care. If I am an employer in BC and pay my employee to liaise with Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba, I'd be frustrated that I have to pay my employee on a Monday when he or she cannot get any work done due to other branches not working, and then have that same employee not at his/her desk when other branches are trying to call in.

Its not like it is some BC-specific celebration. Why not make it on the same day?

What the heck do you guys do when people you need to "liase" with are on vacation, or sick, or just busy on some other thing at work? It's one day, plan for it!

No need to get involved in long weekend crowds. No fighting for the same expensive flights with everyone else if you want to make a week out of it.

And if you really want the day off, it's in February! It's not like it would be hard to get!

First world problems my god.......

This.

From a business perspective it makes literally zero sense to have it on a different day that the rest of Canada, and the US for that matter, which has Presidents Day on the same 3rd weekend of February.

edit: I nominate both countries to realign their holiday to the day after Superbowl though.

Unless you goal is to serve tourists. I bet the service industry doesn't mind paying people a premium to work on what would otherwise be a long weekend customer wise.

Sure was nice of the government to force our employers to pay us an extra day of stat pay. Easy to do when it's not your money. Not so nice for the small mom and pop place however.

You sound like Offensive Threat when this was announced.He was trying to tell everybody that his company was gonna close up shop in BC cause they had to give people a day off paid.

Archived