The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Benning or Columbo

I love Jim Benning!

Doesn't he remind you of Columbo. His rope-a-dope style lulls those opposing GM's in to a false sense of security. Next thing they know they have been had! I don't know if it's the way he talks or his vocabulary? Thank god Gillis is gone.

Long live Jim!

IT's called having a high hockey IQ. He wasnt drafted 6th overall because of a lack of hockey IQ. Also his dad was a scout so he knows what to look for

Gillis brought us within one game of the Cup. Let's not get hasty. Benning has a ways to go before the post-Sedin era looks even remotely bright.

True, but that doesn't change the fact that things look one hell of a lot better now then they did at this point last year.

I have faith.

I love Jim Benning!

Doesn't he remind you of Columbo. His rope-a-dope style lulls those opposing GM's in to a false sense of security. Next thing they know they have been had! I don't know if it's the way he talks or his vocabulary? Thank god Gillis is gone.

Long live Jim!

He reminds me of Liam Neeson's lesser known older cousin.

Gillis brought us within one game of the Cup. Let's not get hasty. Benning has a ways to go before the post-Sedin era looks even remotely bright.

Gillis brought in complimentary pieces to a core that was put in place by Burke and Nonis that brought us within one game of the cup. Gillis followed that with a 3 year tailspin which came to it's apex last year, his subsequent termination, and now obscurity.

JB looks very solid so far.

Gillis brought in complimentary pieces to a core that was put in place by Burke and Nonis that brought us within one game of the cup. Gillis followed that with a 3 year tailspin which came to it's apex last year, his subsequent termination, and now obscurity.

JB looks very solid so far.

So... Burke did wonders. Nonis did okay with what Burke gave him. Gillis did better than okay, but became desperate near the end of his tenure and he didn't leave a good legacy. Benning's done amazing with what Gillis left him to deal with.

So... Burke did wonders. Nonis did okay with what Burke gave him. Gillis did better than okay, but became desperate near the end of his tenure and he didn't leave a good legacy. Benning's done amazing with what Gillis left him to deal with.

Can we get through at least one full season and draft before we start throwing around words like "amazing"?

did we turn on pat quinn ? dont think well turn on benning .. guy loves hockey and knows it well . he may not make perfect calls but it seems his decisions are based on hockey iq , a good judge of character and expierience ..

there are no crystal balls but when a person is as passionate about a subject as jim is about this game , it really helps your odds of building a winner

Guest Dasein

Two totally different starting points

Despite all his faults, I still appreciate that Gillis was able to take a mid-range playoff team and make the depth moves that put us within one game of the ultimate prize

But I would take Benning over Gillis 10 out of 10 times for a rebuild

It's kinda tough seeing where Vey will fit. Looks like he's too far behind any players in the roster, whether it be in the C or RW position

Yet he's on pace for 31 points. One less point than Matthias and 5 less points than Higgins and Hansen.

People need to remember he's a rookie. He's still gotta work on his strength and speed, but the skill is clearly there.

As for Benning, it's clear the time frame he has in mind with the players he picked up:

Vey - 23

Clendening - 22

Baertschi - 22

Pedan - 21

Archived