The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

improving Rogers Arena atmosphere

silentwitness

just wondering if we could come up with ideas to improve the atmosphere in Rogers Arena. was recently in Liverpool to watch a game at Anfield and the atmosphere in the stadium was amazing and intimidating to the opposition team. 50,000 people singing their team's anthem before the kick-off at every game and throughout the match too.

would be nice to start something similar. adopt the We Will Never Walk Alone anthem and sing it before the games and during?

When you walk through a storm
Hold your head up high
And don't be afraid of the dark
At the end of the storm
There's a golden sky
And the sweet silver song of a lark

Walk on through the wind
Walk on through the rain
Though your dreams be tossed and blown

Walk on walk on with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone
You'll never walk alone

When you walk through a storm
Hold your head up high
And don't be afraid of the dark
At the end of the storm
Is a golden sky
And the sweet silver song of the lark

Walk on through the wind
Walk on through the rain
Though your dreams be tossed and blown

Walk on walk on with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone
You'll never walk

You'll never walk
You'll never walk alone

just wondering if we could come up with ideas to improve the atmosphere in Rogers Arena. was recently in Liverpool to watch a game at Anfield and the atmosphere in the stadium was amazing and intimidating to the opposition team. 50,000 people singing their team's anthem before the kick-off at every game and throughout the match too.

would be nice to start something similar. adopt the We Will Never Walk Alone anthem and sing it before the games and during?

That sort of reminds me of when they tried to force the 7th player idea on the crowd. There was no buy in.

The atmosphere needs to come from the crowd, it can't be forced upon them.

I like your idea but...

The crowd is stuck up and snotty. There's no fixing it I'm sorry. It deeply saddens me.

It is what it is.

What happened to your elite spirit? If fans could pull off YNWA, we'd be one of the most intimidating arenas in the NHL.

Liverpool isn't the only one. ;)

or even "Just can't get enough".

Would be nice, but the lawyer's, accountant's and that mafia guy who sits behind the Canuck bench will never sing. Most of the rest of the fans there are too busy texting and taking selfies to prove they were at the game to notice anything else going on.

They need to create a supporters section like the Whitecaps Southsiders where that stuff is encouraged.

Or lower ticket prices and kick out corporate tickets so real fans can enjoy the game

The lower bowl is a snooze fest; it's a little improved up top

Please define the definition of a "real fan" because I'm sick and tired of people complaining that only "real fans" will cheer on the team and make noise. Not everybody is an extrovert and has a loud voice. Some are soft spoken and support their team in other ways.

The problem is so many idiots go to the game and not even pay attention, their either too busy texting, taking pics or talking to the person next to them..

I made a mistake of taking a friend who 'pretends' she likes hockey but most of the time she was sitting there with her stupid phone in her hand, sitting 12 rows away from the action I felt so embarrassed, Not even a clap when the Nucks scored! I would have gladly traded my seat to go cheer with the real fans in the upper bowl..

They need to somehow improve the acoustics in there. Or rather, they need to make the acoustics worse so that the sound bounces around more, creating a louder environment! Acoustically The Rog was built for good concert sound, not to be a loud intimidating building toplay in.

Unfortunately things like this don't really work in North America and when it has it feels very forced. I've been to many sports events in North America (From Sweden, grown up all over Europe) and fans aren't just there for the sport event. They need half time entertainment, cheerleaders, and guest appearances by former NBA stars for some reason. I am not saying fans aren't passionate or are worse than European fans, the culture is just different.

European soccer clubs will often have an official fan group that are able to get cheaper tickets. They organize banners, songs, chants etc. for each game. These come from tradition and in many cases over 100 years of tradition. The atmosphere at soccer games is what fans come to games for. It's not for Steve Nash night, 3-game ticket packs, or free merchandise like bobble heads.

I think the biggest difference is that European fans are there to cheer their team on, while North Americans go to be entertained.

Again, I am really not bringing anyone down here or trying to. I love going to sports events in N.A and Europe. It's just different that's all and I hope it stays that way, we need diversity.

Archived