The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

‘Embarrassing’ new bylaw in Taber, Alberta outlaws swearing, restricts public assembly

Rick Grimes

You give them an inch, they'll take a mile. Free speech should be absolute otherwise it will slowly be eroded piece by piece by the language nazis.

You can still say whatever you want. It's just there's consequences for some things you say. In Taber, the consequences are now a bit more harsh.

Exactly how I feel. I live in a town/city of 13,000 just outside Winnipeg. It's just the way it is. There's positives to small towns and negatives. While my wife and I are no saints, we would never swear in public anyway. It's trashy and rude. If my town instigated a "no swearing policy", while I'm no prude, I certainly wouldn't be against it. Positive is that I get to walk around without hearing teenagers swear at their parents and trailer trash ruining my grocery shopping run.

13,000 isn't really a small town. And while I can't vouch for the individuals in question openly referring to people as trash in a public forum because they live in a trailer is pretty regressive thinking. Some might call it trashy and rude even...

13,000 isn't really a small town. And while I can't vouch for the individuals in question openly referring to people as trash in a public forum because they live in a trailer is pretty regressive thinking. Some might call it trashy and rude even...

Sorry, meant trailer garbage.

graffiti art should be encouraged we live in a nazi like country way to many rules so ridiculous

These should be good enough: Honour your parents, take a day to rest every week, don't murder, don't cheat on spouse/SO, don't lie or slander.

Haha, to each his own.

But really, I probably shouldn't have said it.

In regards to the story, though, I couldn't care less. Like I've said, there's positives and negatives to small towns. Having lived in both large cities and small towns/cities, I'll take the negatives that come with living in a town over the negatives that come from living in a city. As long as I'm within driving distance to a city, then I'm good.

I have no problem with the fine for cursing in public provided they make it clear which words are on the list. I can't stand to listen to some foul mouthed buffoon droping F-Bombs, especially if ladies or children are around.

Parents should be enfocing a curfew on their kids anyhow, but I see no reason for most kids to be out after midnight, especially on school nights. The public assembly one seems pretty draconian, can you only have two friends with you if you go out?

Oh no are you one of those men who gets offended if a woman says the F word? Or even worse apologizes if he or someone else swears in the presence of a woman?

I'd like to see the list of words that are considered curse words, I'd probably have a ticket if I spent 1 day there. While I don't think it's good to swear infront of kids it's up to grown ups to filter themselves. These by-laws seem to target teens and young adults and the earlier comparison to Footloose seems about right.

Oh no are you one of those men who gets offended if a woman says the F word? Or even worse apologizes if he or someone else swears in the presence of a woman?

I'd like to see the list of words that are considered curse words, I'd probably have a ticket if I spent 1 day there. While I don't think it's good to swear infront of kids it's up to grown ups to filter themselves. These by-laws seem to target teens and young adults and the earlier comparison to Footloose seems about right.

YOU SIR, ARE NOT A LADY.

Archived