The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Days of Our Lives.

http://www.mercurynews.com/sharks/ci_27706987/sharks-joe-thornton-gm-wilson-doug-just-needs

Thornton added: "All I've got to say is I've been here every day working hard. I haven't taken a sabbatical. He just needs to stop lying, shut his mouth."

Players did not want to get in the middle of the dispute between Thornton and Wilson. But they said privately that Thornton remains a popular figure in the room and has their support.

^ I missed the part where Wilson says that Thornton took a sabbatical, or claimed that he doesn't work hard.

Anyone know what Thornton is talking about there? Where does the "lying" occur?

What I saw was Wilson, among a bunch of positive comments, saying that Thornton tends to be slightly harsh with people when things aren't going so well...

as far as Im concerned wilson just failed terribly .. what would we be saying if our g.m threw our leader under the bus . It may even be the truth but what happens in the room should stay in the room . Of all people ,that idiot Wilson should know that .

If I own this team Im not thrilled with this public outing at all .

I'm pretty sure Wilson was asked about it by a reporter, and responded truthfully.

I didn't see it as a slam on Thornton. He was just explaining the decision and why he made it.

Thornton's response was pretty uncalled for IMO.

Wilson should have just kept his mouth shut if he was asked about internal things about the team.

A good GM doesn't create distractions for their team when they're fighting for the playoffs.

Am I doing this right.

I get it guys and gals. He poked our captain in the face once. He's a bit of an ass clown and because he doesn't have a Canucks Jersey on that means he's a scum bag but the drama coming out of this event is a little heavy don't you think? Christ I think I see foam coming from oldnews' mouth.

It sounds like Thornton either had no idea what Wilson actually said before commenting, or didn't listen if he heard the quotes at all.

I don't think he was even listening to what the guy said. This sounds more like there were multiple private conversations between the two and as soon as Thornton heard Wilson go public with it (especially at this time of the year) he snapped. It was stupid of him to snap, but understandable. Regardless of whether he's wearing the C or not, he is the leader in the room. I'm sure everyone within the Sharks organization is aware of it too.

"If he's got an issue, he knows exactly where I am, and I'll be glad to talk to him about it," Wilson told CSNCalifornia.com. "There's zero issue here. I was asked a question at a season ticket holder function, and my response was to do my job and be accountable to our season ticket holders and tell the truth. Its nothing I havent said before."

popcorn_jon_stewart.gif

as far as Im concerned wilson just failed terribly .. what would we be saying if our g.m threw our leader under the bus . It may even be the truth but what happens in the room should stay in the room . Of all people ,that idiot Wilson should know that .

If I own this team Im not thrilled with this public outing at all .

Our leader is actually good though.

Wilson should have just kept his mouth shut if he was asked about internal things about the team.

A good GM doesn't create distractions for their team when they're fighting for the playoffs.

It wasn't a distraction until Thornton opened his mouth.

What Wilson said wasn't news worthy. What Thornton said is now on the front page of TSN.

Any intelligent professional would know this would happen. Unfortunately Thornton suffers from foot in mouth disease. This isn;t the first controversy he's been a part of.

What Wilson said wasn't news worthy. What Thornton said is now on the front page of TSN.

Any intelligent professional would know this would happen. Unfortunately Thornton suffers from foot in mouth disease. This isn't the first controversy he's been a part of.

Not that I disagree. But how would have have gone about it if you dedicate your career to a team and your GM decides to start taking pot shots at your leadership abilities and the way you treat your fellow teammates just as your team is finding it's groove and heading towards the playoffs? It has to leave a bitter &^@#ing taste in your mouth.

Any intelligent professional would know this would happen. Unfortunately Thornton suffers from foot in mouth disease. This isn;t the first controversy he's been a part of.

If what Thornton said was a distraction than Wilson talking about the teams internal goings on certainly was as well. In fact it was the catalyst. A lot of people here are saying (possibly even you) that Thornton just proved Wilson right. If Wilson knew that why would he open his mouth?

By your own logic if this is a distraction it started with Wilson.

My opinion is that it's nothing but news fodder that we all ate up and it means little or even nothing to any of the players. If this has any affect on any players performance or focus that player isn't a professional. I sincerely doubt that will be the case and they will continue to go about missing the playoffs this year.

Thorntons a piece of work no doubt but don't discount Wilsons role in this as well.

Not that I disagree. But how would have have gone about it if you dedicate your career to a team and your GM decides to start taking pot shots at your leadership abilities and the way you treat your fellow teammates just as your team is finding it's groove and heading towards the playoffs? It has to leave a bitter ???? taste in your mouth.

He didn't have to tell his GM to shut his mouth. It's called being a professional. If you're the captain, you let things roll off your back. This is why he's not captain. The same reason Kesler was never captain material.

What Wilson said really wasn't that bad. He was being honest with people who pay all of these guys paychecks. It's not like he called him a bad player. If anything he said he thought this would make him a better player, because he wouldn't have all the focus on him. Apparently he has no problem having focus on him though.

Not that I disagree. But how would have have gone about it if you dedicate your career to a team and your GM decides to start taking pot shots at your leadership abilities and the way you treat your fellow teammates just as your team is finding it's groove and heading towards the playoffs? It has to leave a bitter ???? taste in your mouth.

Wouldn't be surprised at all if Wilson had told Thornton multiple times to grow up and stop acting like a classless douche and finally had enough. Thornton is 35 years old now and obviously telling him to act like an adult behind closed doors hasn't worked yet.

He didn't have to tell his GM to shut his mouth. It's called being a professional. If you're the captain, you let things roll off your back. This is why he's not captain. The same reason Kesler was never captain material.

What Wilson said really wasn't that bad. He was being honest with people who pay all of these guys paychecks. It's not like he called him a bad player. If anything he said he thought this would make him a better player, because he wouldn't have all the focus on him. Apparently he has no problem having focus on him though.

Wouldn't be surprised at all if Wilson had told Thornton multiple times to grow up and stop acting like a classless douche and finally had enough. Thornton is 35 years old now and obviously telling him to act like an adult behind closed doors hasn't worked yet.

You know what fair enough, but I think this is something you deal with in the offseason. Not when your team is in the thick of it with a little over ten games left in the season.

If he knew Thornton was a hot head then he had to know there was no way he couldn't respond to the jab. While it was the truth, I'm sure that 'being honest with the ticket holders' is more of an excuse than anything to slide the blame off his own shoulders. He's your best player, and has been with the team the longest, if you don't think he's capable of leading then you deal him and be done with it.

No point in keeping a locker room cancer, and then prodding at him to make the situation worse.

Thornton seriously over-reacting.

If the timing werent' so bad, whomever's Wilson's boss is should step in and suspend Thornton imo.

You don't publicly tell your GM to shut his mouth, particularly after misquoting/strawmanning him, and suggesting that he is "lying". What exactly is Wilson lying about?

Archived