The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Linden Vey, The Next Kyle Wellwood?

hockeydude474

Oh boy here comes Elvis. What an excellent mod

No, Elvis was right this time. This is just a "hate on Vey" thread.

At Vey's age, Wellwood scored 42pts in 48gp.

Vey DREAMS he could be the next Wellwood, offensively. OR have some of that strange faceoff ability he had. But yes, all the other intagibles are about the same. Can Vey improve? I'm not sure. You can see a huge development in a player like Horvat because of age, but that same uptrend in Vey hasn't been there. His development period may be over and this is the player he will be.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I think you will be proven wrong in the future.

No, Elvis was right this time. This is just a "hate on Vey" thread.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I think you will be proven wrong in the future.

Vey is basically our forward version of Sbisa. Everyone thinks he doesn't fit, but the reality is that he's been silently improving over the year.

Vey has some skills, but I suspect his hockey IQ is not nearly as high as Wellwoods was.

I see far too often, Vey reaching as the opposition flies by him with the puck. That to me speaks to his inability to see the ice, and get into position to make a defensive play, something Wellwood was actually quite good at (hence why he played on the PK).

His skills however (Vey) appear to be very lacking when comparing passing and face off ability, but seem to be higher when comparing shooting ability.

Vey seems to have a higher work ethic than Wellwood had, so potentially with hard work he can improve his defensive positioning, and faceoff ability; though I doubt he'll ever be a premiere set up man similar to how Wellwood was.

Vey is also bigger than Wellwood. Vey stands at 6'0 and 190, while Wellwood was 5'10 and 180. With 10 more pounds of muscle on Vey, he might be able to withstand the more physical play of the Western Conference, and with improved defensive awareness, and stronger face offs, he might yet evolve into a decent player.

There are varying listings on Vey's weight, but I highly doubt he is 190lbs. 176lbs seems like a more agreeable number, and that's on a lot of listings. The reason I beleive this is because Bieksa is 198lbs. If Vey with his slight appearance is just 8lbs lighter than Juice, I'll eat my hat.

Do the points I quoted not pretty much cover everything? Heck, you agreed with one of them yourself! Do you have some alternative opinion that's worth discussing?

They aren't the same player and Wellwood had all the skill but couldn't put the effort and consistency together over his career. Vey is just getting started and has a little different skill set and we've yet to see how he'll develop and what kind of player he could become.

Is that better? Are you satisfied with being able to pretty much call the debate a one sided discussion repeating the same points over and over?

Here's what Benning had to say today:

• Does he have the size or strength to be able to play the middle? Linden's a 1st year player in the league, good in the AHL, but play in the NHL you're against big strong C any given night, and our conference has 1 or 2
  • There's a learning curve, has to have a good summer and keep working on speed and strength, but as far as offensive ability and able to hang onto puck and make plays, needs to work on defensive positioning but feels he's smart enough to figure it out

Okay sorry, I guess I jumped the gun too early and over reacted because I was used to seeing /thread. Like Time Lord said, this is a "hate on vey" thread.

If you guys don't agree that Vey has the career potential of Kyle Wellwood then who would you guys compare him too? Kyle Wellwood is a very realistic ceiling and, in my opinion, honestly, i think it's quite flattering towards Vey at the moment to mention him in the same breath as Wellwood considering how terrible Vey is. I see that a lot of you guys have absurd expectations for a lot of our fairly mundane prospects. I remember seeing someone post a while back about "Jensen and Gaunce (I think) being the next Naslund and Bertuzzi. Are you on drugs?

I'm just trying to propose a realistic expectation on Vey.

vey, like kassian, bonino, clendening, sbisa, horvat, kenins, tanev and stanton and corrado are on learning curves...some will excel and some won't...that is willie's job to develop the young players...if he can develop them, then good on him...

I didn't really mind Wellwood for the little while I watched him play, it's just that Wellwood is considered to be a negative comparison for other reasons, so this has become a "hate on Vey" thread.

I've seen a few better comparisons for Vey here before. Justin Williams is one. Vey probably won't be as good, but his role as a complementary offensive player should be similar.

I understand why people are so critical of Vey. This has been a tough rookie season for him, but I do think in the next couple of years he is going to improve. His problem right now is athleticism, and that takes multiple off seasons to work on if you arn't gifted with natural athleticism

Vey DREAMS he could be the next Wellwood, offensively. OR have some of that strange faceoff ability he had. But yes, all the other intagibles are about the same. Can Vey improve? I'm not sure. You can see a huge development in a player like Horvat because of age, but that same uptrend in Vey hasn't been there. His development period may be over and this is the player he will be.

Spoken like CDC's premiier drama queen and foremost assessor of talent..

Oh, and don't let me forget oracle. "Lul".

Thoughts? they play a similar perimeter game, are small, easily pushed off the puck, a bit lazy out there, try to deke players too often and fail etc. I think with enough time Vey easily has the talent and potential to become the next Wellwood.

Steve Kariya, Jordan Schroeder etc. take your pick of over hyped small players. They are one in the same. Everyone hopes for St. Louis or Ronning but the Kings should have picked Foligno or Mike Hoffman. These little midgets never pan out...

Steve Kariya, Jordan Schroeder etc. take your pick of over hyped small players. They are one in the same. Everyone hopes for St. Louis or Ronning but the Kings should have picked Foligno or Mike Hoffman. These little midgets never pan out...

Oh, so, I'll just forget about Vey and Gaudreau.

Also, the height to be a legitimate midget (or a legitimidget if you're into joining words) is 4'10". Pretty sure there's no pro hockey players today with that small of a height.

At Vey's age, Wellwood scored 42pts in 48gp.

The league was too different then. You can't really expect any rookie to put up those numbers in today's game unless they're a top 5 pick. Vey was a 96th overall, and Wellwood was a 134th overall pick. Also keep in mind that the global community is more accessible and intertwined these days so it's scouting is easier and often more accurate than it was back then. It's just too hard to compare.

I think people rag on Vey because he is suppose to have more higher end skill than say.. a player like Horvat. Yet they have similar numbers, and Horvat has played less minutes, with hardly any PP time. Horvat just happens to be physically designed for NHL competition, so Vey's adjustment will likely take a bit longer since there's a physical barrier he needs to overcome with his skill and smarts. As long as he continues to improve I'm happy.

Archived