The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Linden Vey, The Next Kyle Wellwood?

hockeydude474

Oh, so, I'll just forget about Vey and Gaudreau.

Also, the height to be a legitimate midget (or a legitimidget if you're into joining words) is 4'10". Pretty sure there's no pro hockey players today with that small of a height.

Besides, he's 6 feet anyways... How in hell is he a midget??

Don't sniff glue kids.

Steve Kariya, Jordan Schroeder etc. take your pick of over hyped small players. They are one in the same. Everyone hopes for St. Louis or Ronning but the Kings should have picked Foligno or Mike Hoffman. These little midgets never pan out...

So then Gallagher, Marchand, St. Louis, Briere, Gaudreau, Tyler Johnson, Krug, Ennis, Zuccarello, Roy, Cammalleri and Griffith are overhyped? All of those players are 5 foot 9 and under. I could continue and go through the list of players who are 5 foot 10 or 11. Yeah. These midgets, they never pan out. :rolleyes:

Vey is 6 feet tall. He's not even a midget compared with the players I mentioned. So what exactly is the point of your post? lol

no where close to wellwood but a 23 year old has a big challenge to improve in the off season maybe? I doubt there is very much more upside to his game there would have been flashes of it by now.He may make it somewhere in eastern conference as third or fourth liner as he is not a Western conference player there is no room for him out west.Sadly first gamble not to pay off under this regime. IT is what it is a 3 dressed up as a nine as the song goes .To bad he does not win face offs not really much to say about a 23 year old who has had a spot gifted to him this year,long term vey hard to see on roster as other younger guys surpass him over the course of next few years I would say second round bust too bad nice experiment

Wellwood could actually win a faceoff though. I'd say Vey is trending towards more a Mason Raymond type, only time will tell how far he will get. From what I see though, Vey likes to carry the puck up the wall and do a quick stop to try and lose the defender, only difference is he doesn't fall down 9 times outta 10. He's still young though, wait and see.

Vey is basically our forward version of Sbisa. Everyone thinks he doesn't fit, but the reality is that he's been silently improving over the year.

I have to agree. I think because he wasn't "drafted" by us and a lot of people didn't know him before this season, they tend to not be as "interested" in him; Therefore, they tend to think of him as worse than he actually is.

Wellwood was injured. Before his injury, he looked like he was going to have a good career ahead of him.

I don't see how the two players compare with each other really. Sounds more like the Op is trying to troll really.

Key Similarities

1. Similar playing style "small skilled forward"

2. Similar size

3. Sometimes tries to do too much

4. Zero physical game, easily pushed around.

5. Questionable work ethic and very little indication of improvement over time.

6. Long stretches of being invisible on the ice.

7. With strong junior numbers both players had a lot of hype and modest but not great NHL success (i.e Wellwood scoring multi 100 point seasons in the OHL and Linden putting up near a PPG in the AHL) Linden has only played one season so the jury's still out on this one but I think in his best years he will probably put up 35-50 points just like Wellwood

8. Plays on the perimeter

9. "Playmakers" i.e more goals than assist type point distribution

Key Differences

1. Wellwood had more natural elite ability

2. Wellwood was better at face offs

3. Linden is billed as being a two way player but is bad in the defensive zone. Wellwood was pretty decent defensively and was used on the PK. Could be labelled as two way in this sense

4. Wellwood had a good natural shooting ability

5. Wellwood had more offensively impressive junior seasons.

6. Wellwood did not take penalties

My argument has a bit of teleology to it. Wellwood posses an enhanced version of all of Lindens abilities and thus makes a good comparison project of what Linden could be at his best if he worked on his game (face offs, stick skills, shooting).

There are some major differences though which could limit Linden from ever reaching Wellwood's level and could definitely fuel an argument that they are different players. Wellwood was touted as having elite offensive ability. Moreover Wellwood basically never took penalties and was dynamite in the face off circle.

For an outside comparative analysis:

Scouting Report On Kyle Wellwood From Hockey's Future (2002)

Kyle Wellwood is that special kind of hockey player who can make fans gasp in amazement and opponents gape dumbfounded at his innate offensive abilities. When you go to a game in Windsor, the question many people ask is not ‘if’ Wellwood will score, but ‘how many times’ will he score. Top OHL defenseman and fellow Leafs’ prospect Brendan Bell describes Wellwood’s unique abilities in a similarly glowing fashion.

‘The main things that make him so dangerous offensively are his vision and creativity. He can see plays before they develop and he is not afraid to do things other players wouldn’t think to try. His offensive skills and play-making ability make him a threat every time he’s on the ice‘

His Gretzky-like vision and twine-splitting wrist shot should make him a lock to make the NHL

Scouting Report on Linden Vey From TSN (2015)

Displays tremendous hockey sense. Has proven himself as a great point producer at lower levels. Is also a solid player without the puck. Doesn't have a lot of size (6-0, 183 pounds) to speak of, so he must prove capable of producing good totals at the highest level (and over time). Projects to be a "Solid playmaker with some upside."

In my opinion we gotta give him at least until next season to see if he will pan out. If you look at his stats from his rookie years in both junior and in the AHL he had pretty low numbers (17 points in 48 games in the WHL and 43 points in 74 games in the AHL). The following seasons he was near or at a point per game. Now I'm not saying that he will be a point per game player in the NHL, but we should at least give him another opportunity to see if he takes what he learned in his first year and makes changes over the summer so that he can be a better player in the NHL. He certainly seemed to fare well in the past.

The thing that distinguishes Wellwood from Vey is that Wellwood didn't appear to be afraid to play in the greasy areas of the ice, whereas in the second half this season, Vey looks to be deathly afraid of going into the high to mid slot in the offensive zone.

In the second half of this season where the play has tightened down and has been more physical, Vey looks and plays smaller than the 6'0" 189 lbs. that he's listed as. He looked like a boy playing against a man when he was matched up against Ryan Johansen last night. The last month or so, Vey has blown his fair share of defensive zone assignments after looking pretty good on this side of the ice earlier on in the season.

But, it's still too early to throw the baby out with the bath water when it comes to Vey. Hopefully, as JB has stated, Vey can get stronger and develop the necessary consistency to play against NHL competition. As well, IMHO, he's better served playing on the right wing than he is at centre.

2. Similar size

My argument has a bit of teleology to it. Wellwood posses an enhanced version of all of Lindens abilities and thus makes a good comparison project of what Linden could be at his best if he worked on his game (face offs, stick skills, shooting).

There are some major differences though which could limit Linden from ever reaching Wellwood's level and could definitely fuel an argument that they are different players. Wellwood was touted as having elite offensive ability. Moreover Wellwood basically never took penalties and was dynamite in the face off circle.

Kyle Wellwood is that special kind of hockey player who can make fans gasp in amazement and opponents gape dumbfounded at his innate offensive abilities. When you go to a game in Windsor, the question many people ask is not ‘if’ Wellwood will score, but ‘how many times’ will he score. Top OHL defenseman and fellow Leafs’ prospect Brendan Bell describes Wellwood’s unique abilities in a similarly glowing fashion.

‘The main things that make him so dangerous offensively are his vision and creativity. He can see plays before they develop and he is not afraid to do things other players wouldn’t think to try. His offensive skills and play-making ability make him a threat every time he’s on the ice‘

His Gretzky-like vision and twine-splitting wrist shot should make him a lock to make the NHL

Displays tremendous hockey sense. Has proven himself as a great point producer at lower levels. Is also a solid player without the puck. Doesn't have a lot of size (6-0, 183 pounds) to speak of, so he must prove capable of producing good totals at the highest level (and over time). Projects to be a "Solid playmaker with some upside."

Except the Wellwood we saw was one coming off of an injury. You can try and compare these two players all you want, but I still don't see the comparison. All you're doing is looking at the negative attributes of both players. You're not focusing on the positives that make their game stand out. You're just trying to bash Vey and Wellwood together instead of separately.

Comparison? No thanks. I'm going to watch the games instead and watch Vey develop and not judge a player by his rookie season.

Except the Wellwood we saw was one coming off of an injury. You can try and compare these two players all you want, but I still don't see the comparison. All you're doing is looking at the negative attributes of both players. You're not focusing on the positives that make their game stand out. You're just trying to bash Vey and Wellwood together instead of separately.

Comparison? No thanks. I'm going to watch the games instead and watch Vey develop and not judge a player by his rookie season.

I've updated the comparison to include the positives

Key Similarities

2. Similar size

3. Sometimes tries to do too much

7. With strong junior numbers both players had a lot of hype and modest but not great NHL success (i.e Wellwood scoring multi 100 point seasons in the OHL and Linden putting up near a PPG in the AHL) Linden has only played one season so the jury's still out on this one but I think in his best years he will probably put up 35-50 points just like Wellwood

8. Plays on the perimeter

9. "Playmakers" i.e more goals than assist type point distribution

Key Differences

1. Wellwood had more natural elite ability

2. Wellwood was better at face offs

3. Linden is billed as being a two way player but is bad in the defensive zone. Wellwood was pretty decent defensively and was used on the PK. Could be labelled as two way in this sense

4. Wellwood had a good natural shooting ability

5. Wellwood had more offensively impressive junior seasons.

6. Wellwood did not take penalties

For an outside comparative analysis:

So we gave up a 2nd round pick for him, not a first. He has 22 points as a rookie, not great, but not terrible by any stretch. Say he finishes with 25 this year, 35 next year, and 45 the following. 45 points is decent 2nd round production.

How many 2nd rounders finish with more than 22 points in their full rookie season? (40+ games).

2002 - Three
Hudler - 25
Fleischmann - 30

Stajan - 27
(Stoll had 21, Keith 21)

2003 - Four

Backes - 23
Weber - 40

Carle - 42

Bergeron -39

2004 - four (five if you include Soderberg, but he was a 27 year old rookie)

Kreijci - 27

Dubinsky - 40

Bickell - 37

Bolland - 47

2005 - four

Raymond - 23

Latendresse - 29

Statsny - 78

Neal - 37

2006 - four

McBain - 30

Anisimov - 28

Lucic - 27

Kulemin - 31

2007 - three

Simmonds - 23
Galiardi - 39

Subban - 38

2008 - three

Hamonic - 26

Stepan - 45

Schultz - 27

2009 - four

Tatar - 39

Gelinas - 29

Chiasson - 35

O'Reilly - 26

While I wish we got more production out of Vey, to say he was a waste of a 2nd round pick is insane.

There is maybe a 6% chance of hitting it out of the park, a 13% chance of drafting a player that is more productive as a rookie, and just a 30% chance of drafting a player who will play 200 career NHL games.

The way I look at it, if we drafted Vey with our 2nd round pick he would be considered a pretty good selection and most would have been happy. That said, Florida gave up similar compensation (3rd + 5th) for Pirri and he has been much more productive, same age too (24 goals in 59 games).

I would say the best comparable is Thomas Fleischmann.

SCOUTING REPORT

Assets: Has excellent offensive instincts, setup ability and an understanding of what to do with the puck on his stick. Is silky smooth, crafty and has a sneaky-good, accurate wrister. Can play both wing and center.

Flaws: Lacks strength, so he tends to lose several puck battles in the corners. Must continue to improve his intensity. His play without the puck, as well as his face-off skills (if he plays center) are generally lacking.

Career Potential: Solid scoring forward.

Less than 50% of our 1st and 2nd round picks between 2000-2008 became NHL players.

Archived