The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Canucks @ Kings

-Vintage Canuck-

Sadly, tis nothing but a number

The % of an 8th seed winning a Stanley Cup was 0% until LA changed that in 2012

The % of a team playing three consecutive game 7s and winning a Stanley Cup was also 0% until LA in 2014

These guys made 0%s into reality, so 50% should be a walk in the park (theoretically)

I hope they don't make it and I know today was a big blow to them (especially if Toffoli is suspended a game or two), but damn you just never know... I could see our April game being a very crucial game for both teams - that actually might be the nail in the coffin if we win

This is why I really question whether the LA players are taking PEDs, right around the stretch drive and through the playoffs. I know it's a baseless accusation but those events with 0% of odds over almost 100 years of history being beaten by the same team... coincidence?

Maybe LA collects big players knowing PEDs can really help enhance the style of play that Sutter can build, a game based off of physical plays... the type of the game that can really benefit from the use of PEDs.

Anyhow, I missed the game but just finished watching the entire replay of the game. Good win, the whole team showed how much they wanted this win. Even Vey, who has been criticized many times, have had a great game. But...

Hamhuis. I still think he is the top 3 defender on this team, but he is playing with 0 confidence. Like whenever he has the puck, he doesn't know what to do with it, sometimes it looks like he doesn't even know the basics of hockey, like how to make a pass.

I think Hamhuis needs to play with more confidence and poise like he did in the years past. Instead of being rushed to make plays, leading to turnovers. We had 7 turnovers according to nhl.com, I think Hamhuis alone made 4 or 5 of those, some of them leading to breakaways.

I think he is still capable, he just needs to get that confidence back and play with poise and calmness that he brought to 2010-11 team.

Ummm the Kings can get 104

Sharks can get 98

Sharks are effectively done. Tied with Colorado with another game played. Can afford to lose only 2-3 points in their remaining games and must win out the rest. Just started their eastern road trip, so it's be all but official this upcoming week. Colorado actually has a pretty soft week ahead and will likely pass them.

Great way to send LA off for their roadtrip from hell.

I hope when we see them on the 6th we will have a chance to officially eliminate them.

But we will need Winnipeg and Calgary to pull their weight for that.

That would give a great confidence boost for the playoffs.

Someone mentioned in the GDT it would be sweet if LA went on to miss the playoffs by a single point after this game.

And what a way to finish the game! Not just one empty netter but another, the last one short handed, comes with 0.2 seconds on the clock...

I believe the Buddhists have a word for when things like that happen, lol.

Guest Dasein

This is why I really question whether the LA players are taking PEDs, right around the stretch drive and through the playoffs. I know it's a baseless accusation but those events with 0% of odds over almost 100 years of history being beaten by the same team... coincidence?

Maybe LA collects big players knowing PEDs can really help enhance the style of play that Sutter can build, a game based off of physical plays... the type of the game that can really benefit from the use of PEDs.

So are they recruiting players that they know are on PEDs, or are they recruiting players then distributing PEDs to their acquisitions? Either way, it doesn't make any sense. A team collectively juicing is highly unlikely and pretty insane

If you're only suggesting that maybe one or two guys on the team are doing it, then you could make a case that there are a couple who are suspect for most teams, so then you wouldn't really be able to single out LA anymore in that case

So are they recruiting players that they know are on PEDs, or are they recruiting players then distributing PEDs to their acquisitions? Either way, it doesn't make any sense. A team collectively juicing is highly unlikely and pretty insane

If you're only suggesting that maybe one or two guys on the team are doing it, then you could make a case that there are a couple who are suspect for most teams, so then you wouldn't really be able to single out LA anymore in that case

They recruit big players, then feed them PEDs to whoever that is willing to take it. Highly unlikely and insane as you said, but if two of the events with 0% chance over 100 years of history can be beaten, then this unlikely thing might just be true, who knows? :)

Anyways, I hope you aren't taking what I said too seriously. I clearly said that my claims are baseless, I'm sure you've made at least a few baseless claims yourself. I threw this one out there because those odds that LA beat, are indeed highly unlikely for normal human beings to achieve, especially the 3 straight 7 game series...

Guest Dasein

They recruit big players, then feed them PEDs to whoever that is willing to take it. Highly unlikely and insane as you said, but if two of the events with 0% chance over 100 years of history can be beaten, then this unlikely thing might just be true, who knows? :)

Anyways, I hope you aren't taking what I said too seriously. I clearly said that my claims are baseless, I'm sure you've made at least a few baseless claims yourself. I threw this one out there because those odds that LA beat, are indeed highly unlikely for normal human beings to achieve, especially the 3 straight 7 game series...

Yeah haha I'm not taking it too seriously

They are highly unlikely odds to beat, but that's the beauty of team sports imo - I just think that LA has assembled one hell of a team and managed to keep it together in the cap era

And when you look at those three game 7s they won to come out of the West, my goodness any of those could have gone either way. A lot of it is luck too, and you could make a case for LA being the luckiest team in recent history:

Last year: came out on the right side of THREE game 7s

When they were the 8th seed, they actually had (arguably) as easy a road to the Cup as you could:

• faced the President's Trophy team that was missing the Art Ross winner for the majority, and he probably came back too early because we needed him
  • faced the Blues (perennial chokers)
  • faced the Coyotes, of all teams, in the WCF
  • then had to face the Devils, who were arguably the weakest SCF team in recent memory

If Keith never knocked Daniel out, if Gillis traded Hodgson in the summer instead of at the deadline, if Gillis traded Schneider for more defensive or forward depth, it could have been our year.. I think I'm actually more bitter about 2012 than 2011 because we never even got to go on a run

Is it just me or does anyone think of Eddie Lack more of a "Canuck" then Ryan Miller. To me Miller was just some unnecessary signing to prove that we are a playoff team. Eddie has been a huge part of our teams success since Miller has been gone and has proven to be a decent number one goalie. He's been really good these past 7 games except Columbus. I hope we trade Miller in the offseason and make Eddie our number 1.

I'd still sign Miller. Without Miller, it would be Lack and Markstrom which isn't a good idea because 1.) Markstrom still needs developing 2.) This means Lack would have to play 60 to 70 games this season and we know what happened last season and 3) Markstrom is playing great for the Comets and gives that team a chance to win (good for player development) and 4.) It's only 3 years so even if he doesn't play well and the team is confident with Lack the team can probably trade him in his last season.

Puck was loose, Hank went for it. Hank isn't a dirty player. Dustin Brown (who I think is an awesome playoff player) is known for his dirty antics.

and there u go right there lol, exactly what i'm talking about

if the play is identical then it would be clean no matter who did it, so if it's clean when Hank does it then it would be clean if anyone else does it too.

I'd still sign Miller. Without Miller, it would be Lack and Markstrom which isn't a good idea because 1.) Markstrom still needs developing 2.) This means Lack would have to play 60 to 70 games this season and we know what happened last season and 3) Markstrom is playing great for the Comets and gives that team a chance to win (good for player development) and 4.) It's only 3 years so even if he doesn't play well and the team is confident with Lack the team can probably trade him in his last season.

Actually since you put it that way, I kind of agree with you. I just would hate too see Eddie Lack leave our team because he is tired of being a back up to someone that he has the potential of being good as. However though I think last year was just a bad year for everyone and Lack learned from some mistakes and has been a lot better. I'm not gonna lie I honestly just like him better too he's just seems like a likeable guy haha no hate on Miller though.

The Canucks were determined to use their speed and skill from the opening shift and they were rewarded for it. Vancouver kept up with the physical play although Los Angeles still showed themselves as the dirtiest team in the league with cheapshots and dirty hits (Toffoli). Definitely could have used Sestito and a healthy Kassian in a game like that. Still it was a great effort resulting in a very important 2 points.

Eddie Lack has done an excellent job filling in as the starter down the home stretch when fans were worried that he wouldn't be able to keep this team in a playoff spot. He was rock solid in this game and came up with some big saves when they needed it the most. The Toffoli breakaway save was massive but there lots of other shots through screens and deflections that were just as important.

Radim Vrbata made yet another case for why he is this team's unquestioned MVP. He came through when they needed him the most. The saucer pass to Bonino was a thing of beauty and the incredible skill he showed to control the puck off the boards and quickly shoot on the game-winning goal was unbelivable. Without the Czech Hitman, there's no way this team would be anywhere near a playoff spot.

Anyhow, I missed the game but just finished watching the entire replay of the game. Good win, the whole team showed how much they wanted this win. Even Vey, who has been criticized many times, have had a great game. But...

Hamhuis. I still think he is the top 3 defender on this team, but he is playing with 0 confidence. Like whenever he has the puck, he doesn't know what to do with it, sometimes it looks like he doesn't even know the basics of hockey, like how to make a pass.

I think Hamhuis needs to play with more confidence and poise like he did in the years past. Instead of being rushed to make plays, leading to turnovers. We had 7 turnovers according to nhl.com, I think Hamhuis alone made 4 or 5 of those, some of them leading to breakaways.

I think he is still capable, he just needs to get that confidence back and play with poise and calmness that he brought to 2010-11 team.

He played with confidence back then because he was relatively injury free, pre concussion and in his prime. He is on the other side of all that now sadly. It's just the way it is. Honestly he was terrible yesterday. The team literally won despite him as tough as it is to admit that.

He is not a top 3 guy anymore on any legit team.

well that is the general consensus on here, we're somehow better than they are and they're just bums when they've owned us since 2012 and won 2 cups in that time

I lol just thinking what this board would be like if Dustin Brown did to Lack what Henrik did to Quick, but of course because Hank did it to Quick it's the most amazing play ever

If you can't see the difference in puck possession or lack thereof by each goalie on those respective plays; quite frankly, you're an ignoramus.

well that is the general consensus on here, we're somehow better than they are and they're just bums when they've owned us since 2012 and won 2 cups in that time

I lol just thinking what this board would be like if Dustin Brown did to Lack what Henrik did to Quick, but of course because Hank did it to Quick it's the most amazing play ever

What are you talking about? The puck was loose. It was no dirty play and if the same had happened to Lack it still wouldn't be a dirty play (although I agree many on here would be squealing but then that's CDC)

Archived