The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

PDSF: (2) Vancouver Canucks vs (3) Calgary Flames

Mathew Barzal

Questions: Day 2  

134 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I just remembered... It was Hartley and the avs who swept us in 2001.

I vaguely remember the series but they embarrassed us. I was just barely into hockey and only watched the playoffs at the time but I just remember an absolute spanking and I think they scored the quickest 3 goals or something in avs history.

Payback please... 4 game Sweep. I'll take my refund on game 5 tickets =)

I think that series had more to do with Dan Cloutier than it did anything else. The same with the series against Detroit. Didn't we lose Naslund to a broken ankle in that series or was it the regular season? I cant remember. I had purposely blocked that memory out lol

Thanks a lot for bringing up painful memories! :(

That's about right. Calgary is not really a good puck possession hockey team. Quality of shots is another matter, but at the same time, there is a limit to that. Defending too much, relying on endless shot blocking is not necessarily a long term winning formula.

They have a number of key players with extremely high PDO. They may generate high quality scoring chances themselves, and they may also be graced. Toronto rode similar underlying numbers to a playoff birth a few years ago.

Calgary's blueline has been more dynamic offensively, but in real puck possession terms, they have not really been impressive.

Brodie's numbers are pretty good (despite a corsi on in the same range as Luca Sbisa's) - they probably took a hit when Giordano went down. Giordano imo is the Norris frontrunner this year, certainly before his injury.

One key strength - Calgary has forced a lot of teams to wilt this season and have taken advantage of superior work ethic and conditioning to dominate the later stages of games. I'm not sure that advantage will be as marked against Vancouver - the Canucks are a hard working, well-conditioned four line, three pairing team that has also tended to play better second halves of games than firsts.

Calgary's speed is a factor, but the Canucks blueline is a moblie one itself - Hamhuis, Tanev, Edler, Sbisa, Biekas, Weber can all skate. Engelland, Potter, Schlemko, Diaz - their depth D imo are not the strength of their lineup. They'll probably have to stay healthy to have any hopes of a playoff run. Will the speed and counterpunch style be as effective against Vancouver as the league in general?

I'm not downplaying the quality of Calgary's blueline - I like Giordano and Brodie a lot, and I think Russell is a good, up and coming defenseman who moves the puck well and blocks a shatload of shots.. Wideman is what he is - and he's also a good shot blocker.

A weakness I'd think with these guys is the frequency with which they turn the puck over.

Wideman has 92 giveaways (-41)

Brodie has 88 giveaways

Russell has 66 giveaways

That's a boatload from three of their top four, part and parcel of the style of game they play.

Brodie is also 182 lbs, while Russell is 173lbs. They'll have to use their mobility to retrieve and move pucks before the forecheck closes on them. Interestingly, they did well against the heavy Pacific, but had losing records against the Central and the Metro.

Should be a good series - I'm just not willing to concede that Brodie, Wideman and Russell are better than Edler, Tanev, Hamhuis....I think they're different types of players with different strengths that will be really entertaining to watch matched up.

Some interesting info you posted.

But I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on who has the better D-core.

Though it's not by as much as I originally thought.

I was listening to the TSN Panel today. The majority think the Flames will win the series and because they have depth scoring and good defense. I thought they were talking about the Canucks...they have the top depth scoring in the league. Also, the TSN Panel predicted that the Canucks have the 14th best goaltending out of the 16 teams in the playoffs...behind the weak goaltending of the Ducks...

I was listening to the TSN Panel today. The majority think the Flames will win the series and because they have depth scoring and good defense. I thought they were talking about the Canucks...they have the top depth scoring in the league. Also, the TSN Panel predicted that the Canucks have the 14th best goaltending out of the 16 teams in the playoffs...behind the weak goaltending of the Ducks...

the east-coasters don't know jack about the going-ons in the west. All they care about are the eastern teams

the east-coasters don't know jack about the going-ons in the west. All they care about are the eastern teams

Exactly. That is why they spent 1 hour and a half on Eastern teams, and half an hour on western even though the West obviously has the more exciting match ups, besides the Senators vs. Canadiens.

Also, they put Canucks goaltending so low because they said it had 'inexperience'. So did half the goalies above him. They hardly even acknowledged that the Flames were 'inexperienced'. If they had, they should have easily deciphered that the Canucks should win this...if they stayed consistent in their predictions.

I love TSN for the CFL. They are excellent there, but hockey...umm...no.

Reminds me of 94 when nobody was picking the canucks to beat the Lames, and back then Calgary actually had a power house team. This year's Flames team is akin to the 2013-2014 avalanche team, but with less talent. They caught lots of teams by surprise...but its playoff time ... its time to see what 150lbs of soaking wet Johnny hockey will do when everyone will be trying to hammer him and his boy band cohort Monahan...lol! Oh, but theres Mason Raymond, and that pulverizer at 5 foot 7 - 157lbs Byron....not to mention the two sub 180lb dmen they have playing in their top 4.

Bring out the Kassasquatch!!

With Lack as the starter, I think it is more fair to say "untested" or "unproven" in the goal tending category.

With Lack as the starter, I think it is more fair to say "untested" or "unproven" in the goal tending category.

http://www.tsn.ca/rangers-the-odds-on-favourites-to-win-the-stanley-cup-1.255687

Odds to win the 2015 Stanley Cup

New York Rangers - 11/2

Chicago Blackhawks - 8/1

St. Louis Blues - 8/1

Anaheim Ducks - 9/1

Minnesota Wild - 9/1

Montreal Canadiens - 9/1

Tampa Bay Lightning - 10/1

Nashville Predators - 12/1

Pittsburgh Penguins - 16/1

Vancouver Canucks - 16/1

Detroit Red Wings - 18/1

New York Islanders - 18/1

Ottawa Senators - 18/1

Washington Capitals - 18/1

Calgary Flames - 20/1

Winnipeg Jets - 25/1

http://www.tsn.ca/rangers-the-odds-on-favourites-to-win-the-stanley-cup-1.255687

Odds to win the 2015 Stanley Cup

New York Rangers - 11/2

Chicago Blackhawks - 8/1

St. Louis Blues - 8/1

Anaheim Ducks - 9/1

Minnesota Wild - 9/1

Montreal Canadiens - 9/1

Tampa Bay Lightning - 10/1

Nashville Predators - 12/1

Pittsburgh Penguins - 16/1

Vancouver Canucks - 16/1

Detroit Red Wings - 18/1

New York Islanders - 18/1

Ottawa Senators - 18/1

Washington Capitals - 18/1

Calgary Flames - 20/1

Winnipeg Jets - 25/1

Ok so we have a higher odds of winning the cup than Calgary but will lose to the flames. Ok there TSN.

Treleving was interviewed in the intermission of the Hitmen - Tigers game, and talked about the upcoming 1st round matchup.

Couple of points I liked.

1. Believes in development through success.

2. You can't prepare people through voice for what the playoffs bring, so playoffs are always the goal.

3. Anybody can look good when nothing is on the line, best assessment of players.

Number three in particular resounds with me. He stressed on the point that while the regular season is a grind, and you can somewhat gage what a player can bring to your team over the season, at the end of the day it is what it is. And that's a typical, regular season game and the intensity is half of what it is during the playoffs.

When Wednesday rolls around and every shift matters, every mistake, every good play, you get to REALLY see who you want to stay on your team.

Obviously I paraphrased a lot of that, but he explained it pretty well and it spoke to me. This season isn't just about how our core players like the Sedins, Hamhuis, Bieksa etc play. We're going to see who can bring it in regards to all the new faces, who's worth keeping and who isn't.

Matthias might be a sleeping giant, Vrbata might crumble. We're going to see it all in black and white over the next seven games, pretty exciting.

He's dangling around like he's Crosby in his prime out there without anyone attempting to take his head... too comfortable. The Canucks better come out hitting and targeting him and Monahan especially. Im hoping Bieksa or Dorsett give him the business all series.

If we can get a couple early leads to start the series I see those 2 having a real hard series

For me, it comes down to them not having Giordano.

Easily a top ten defenseman.

And for me, it's a no doubter to play the Bonino line against their top line.

It's got to hurt them not having him. Canucks in five.

Bonino had pretty big goals last season. He is clutch in post season.

Archived