The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What's your excuse for eating meat?

GLASSJAW

Your logic and reading comprehension is incorrect. The article does not state scientists are making claims that plants are conscious. That is a big difference from "processing sensory information". The article even states that scientists are reluctant to state that plants 'feel' pain because that feeling presupposes consciousness.

Can plants be intelligent? Sure, but that is not the same as being conscious. False equivalence

Reread maybe. You are starting from an assumption. I am not. They state that plants may feel pain and might have a form of consciuosness. You are the one having trouble comprehending. I guess it is better to assume as long as your assumption supports your viewpoint!!!

The amount of energy, nutrients and clean water required to raise a cow or pig and then feed us with it is far more than any vegetarian option. Just cows methane emissions alone have a huge negative impact on the environment. Theres no environmentally sound reason to eat meat.

But I still eat chicken and/or fish daily, pork irregularly and beef every so often.

A lot of the "science" behind energy input and methane gas when it comes to raising animals is highly exaggerated. The reason being that cows can turn things like grass and hay into energy. Humans, who cannot digest cellulose, cannot. A cow who is eating things not fit for human consumption is not really increasing GHG emissions either. That hay or grass would break down eventually and release it's CO2.

It really becomes a question of how your cow is being raised. If its being fed food that is not a just a by-product and being shipped in from far away, then there is going to be a cost there. That being said, meat alternatives like soy, are not typically grown in Canada and have to be transported in too.

About a year ago I switched to only buying meat that is locally sourced and ethically raised. It took quite a bit of research to figure out the right butchers to buy from and what to look for. The meat I buy now is more about 3x more expensive than before; I compensate by buying less than half the meat I used to. (Same goes for eggs, cheese, milk etc).

I don't mind the idea of killing animals for meat; I think that's part of the "circle of life". We've just become very good at it. The things I don't like about eating meat are: if the animals suffer their entire lives, and the environmental implications of a planet of potentially 7 billion meat eaters. By buying ethical meat, and way less of it, I feel I'm doing my part. Should I give up meat all together? Probably, yeah. But I really enjoy food and cooking, it's part of the fiber of my being, and I don't want to give that up. I do what I can with that in mind.

If you can't give up eating meat I think this is the way to go for sure. Maybe down the road you will move towards a more plant based diet- who knows. Everyone changes their habits at their own pace but still, good for you.

Reread maybe. You are starting from an assumption. I am not. They state that plants may feel pain and might have a form of consciuosness. You are the one having trouble comprehending. I guess it is better to assume as long as your assumption supports your viewpoint!!!

Your reading comprehension is truly horrible. I read the article closely, looking for keywords such as "consciousness" and "Feeling" none of which are attributed to plants in the article. Not surprising though, because science doesn't have sufficient evidence to support such a claim. The article, as I state, hesitates to state that plants "feel pain".

From the article in case you are too lazy to do your own work:

So what about pain? Do plants feel? Pollan says they do respond to anesthetics. "You can put a plant out with a human anesthetic. ... And not only that, plants produce their own compounds that are anesthetic to us." But scientists are reluctant to go as far as to say they are responding to pain. How plants sense and react is still somewhat unknown. They don't have nerve cells like humans, but they do have a system for sending electrical signals and even produce neurotransmitters, like dopamine, serotonin and other chemicals the human brain uses to send signals. "We don't know why they have them, whether this was just conserved through evolution or if it performs some sort of information processing function. We don't know. There's a lot we don't know," Pollan says.

The article definitely doesn't state that plants 'feel' pain because like I said, feeling presupposes consciousness which the article doesn't state plants have either.

It's difficult trying to discuss/argue with people that can't carefully think about what they are saying....

About a year ago I switched to only buying meat that is locally sourced and ethically raised. It took quite a bit of research to figure out the right butchers to buy from and what to look for. The meat I buy now is more about 3x more expensive than before; I compensate by buying less than half the meat I used to. (Same goes for eggs, cheese, milk etc).

I don't mind the idea of killing animals for meat; I think that's part of the "circle of life". We've just become very good at it. The things I don't like about eating meat are: if the animals suffer their entire lives, and the environmental implications of a planet of potentially 7 billion meat eaters. By buying ethical meat, and way less of it, I feel I'm doing my part. Should I give up meat all together? Probably, yeah. But I really enjoy food and cooking, it's part of the fiber of my being, and I don't want to give that up. I do what I can with that in mind.

Local meat is not necessarily more expensive. You can contact farms directly and buy from them in bulk. For an animal like a cow, you'll need to buy probably at least a half a cow at once. I have done it a few times. I go in with about a dozen friends. I buy about $500 of beef at once. It works out to about $6/pound. It comes frozen (as all beef is at one time). I've had it stored in the freezer for about 18 months and thawed it and it came out perfectly fresh.

We buy from a local farmer that feeds only grass to the cow. You can do similar things with chickens, eggs, pork, lamb, etc....The pork is very cheap, at $3-$4/pound.

I haven't done this since the dollar dropped. So it might be slightly more expensive now, but in the same neighbourhood.

I also buy fish from a salmon co-op. I get whole pink salmons for as little as $8/fish.

I don't think local and ethical food has to be more expensive. It's just the capitalist model of having unnecessary middle men that makes it so expensive.

I have found a solution to this problem:

The meat eaters should round up all the vegans and eat them.

That way, the meat eaters can continue eating meat and no one will be around to complain about it...

problem-solved.jpg

Alright Jazz the act has to come to an end. We all know God isn't real.

This isn't the place to talk about that. If you want to have a discussion, open up a thread to debate it or send me a PM. But a thread about meat is not the place to debate God's existence.

This isn't the place to talk about that. If you want to have a discussion, open up a thread to debate it or send me a PM. But a thread about meat is not the place to debate God's existence.

God also says you can own slaves and have sex with your daughter.

God's a weird dude, I wouldn't trust him.

God also says you can own slaves and have sex with your daughter.

God's a weird dude, I wouldn't trust him.

lawl you're the worst kind of non-believer.. the one that tries to let it be known and ram it down peoples throats..

Live a little..

Stop wasting your time

lawl you're the worst kind of non-believer.. the one that tries to let it be known and ram it down peoples throats..

Live a little..

Stop wasting your time

Ram what down peoples throats?

He's the one who brought up God.

If I brought up a serial killers opinion on something I'd expect someone to say, hey, that guys kind of messed.

God condones in a ton of really scary stuff. Sorry you don't like that I'm alright with him being a dick.

Ram what down peoples throats?

He's the one who brought up God.

If I brought up a serial killers opinion on something I'd expect someone to say, hey, that guys kind of messed.

God condones in a ton of really scary stuff. Sorry you don't like that I'm alright with him being a dick.

Step 1: Start a new thread or have a PM with me, you, and whoever else wants to be in the debate.

Step 2: Keep in mind that just because it's in the Bible doesn't mean God condones it.

Step 3: Have discussion, and stop posting religious debates in a thread about meat. I only did it as an off-the-cuff remark.

Step 1: Start a new thread or have a PM with me, you, and whoever else wants to be in the debate.

Step 2: Keep in mind that just because it's in the Bible doesn't mean God condones it.

Step 3: Have discussion, and stop posting religious debates in a thread about meat. I only did it as an off-the-cuff remark.

BUT THIS IS OFF TOPIC. WUT ELSE DO WE HAVE

I refuted your off-the-cuff remark by saying I wouldn't trust that dude.

I'm having a discussion.

Stop whining about the way I respond, you're going off topic.

I don't trust God, therefore I don't think it's a good argument. If you want to talk to me about what should be said in this thread you can pm me. Keep on topic.

I refuted your off-the-cuff remark by saying I wouldn't trust that dude.

I'm having a discussion.

Stop whining about the way I respond, you're going off topic.

I don't trust God, therefore I don't think it's a good argument. If you want to talk to me about what should be said in this thread you can pm me. Keep on topic.

Sent you a PM. This thread can now go to it's regularly scheduled programming.

Here's an interesting article:

http://authoritynutrition.com/7-evidence-based-health-reasons-to-eat-meat/

Archived