The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pens will not fire HC, GM, or trade Malkin and Crosby

Confirmed by The Score that Malkin and Crosby will NOT be dealt. I don't see it happening anytime soon. Too many pieces would be heading either way and it'll be a really complicated deal to consider. HC Mike Johnston, 1st season as coach since coming over from the Portland Winterhawks, will NOT be fired. And GM, Jim Rutherford, 1st season managing the pens since being fired from canes last season, will also NOT be fired. Although, for some reason, I don't understand his logic. Why would you trade a promising Despres for Lovejoy who was a Pen already and Shero gave up on him. The Perron trade was a good trade but it cost them a 1st rounder.

they need to stop trading away theirs first rounders and start developing prospects who can play with Crosby and Malkin. Also it didn't help that their team was all banged up going into the playoffs

And trading away defensive prospects to boot. They need wingers and defensemen like no tomorrow.

Or is that like Joe Morrow?

Malkin and Crosby at nearly $9-$10 million a piece is banking on 2 players carrying you're entire team. Adding an $8 million Letang who cannot stay out of the hospital doesnt help.

This team NEEDS to trade Malkin and or Letang if they want to have any shot at post season glory. Malkin is one more knee and or leg surgery away from redundancy and without a supporting cast it's a foregone conclusion that this team will never allow Crosby to win another cup.

Much like Sundin in Toronto, one of the best players of his generation fading in to obscurity without a supporting cast

They will be a much better team with a healthy letang, pouliot, ehrhoff (if they bring him back) and Matta. Something they didn't have for the playoffs.

Could you imagine the Canucks without elder, Tanev, hamhuis and bieksa?

Give them their top 4 den and I think they would have beat the president trophy team.

They will be a much better team with a healthy letang, pouliot, ehrhoff (if they bring him back) and Matta. Something they didn't have for the playoffs.

Give them their top 4 den and I think they would have beat the president trophy team.

We actually did that for large parts of the year between our D and forward core and hovered near the top half of the western standings for playoff teams

They still had Martin so I wouldn't say they lost their top 4

Agreed..those are all impact players..You just can't take that much quality out of the back end and expect to win.

Malkin and Crosby at nearly $9-$10 million a piece is banking on 2 players carrying you're entire team. Adding an $8 million Letang who cannot stay out of the hospital doesnt help.

This team NEEDS to trade Malkin and or Letang if they want to have any shot at post season glory. Malkin is one more knee and or leg surgery away from redundancy and without a supporting cast it's a foregone conclusion that this team will never allow Crosby to win another cup.

Much like Sundin in Toronto, one of the best players of his generation fading in to obscurity without a supporting cast

They're pretty close to the cap hit too right??? When you have two star powers on your team, it's hard to grab players from the FA Market in the summer especially if your paying Crosby and malkin big bucks and not playing to their potential consistently. They were barely noticeable in the playoffs against the rangers. And got outplayed badly. Injuries were certainly a factor but imagine if they didnt make the playoffs. Then they would be doing the same thing as they were doing a couple years ago when they fired everyone. Also the bruins probably would've done waay better against the Rangers. Possibly game 7... For the pens getting eliminated in 5, I wouldn't necessarily call this season a failure but they have to improve the dman corps especially if they consistently get injured, which is part of the game.

Not sure why they would trade either one in the first place. Crosby had a sub-par year and still finished 3rd in scoring and then had 4 points in 5 games in a really low scoring series. Malkin was playing hurt at the end of the year and in the playoffs. They were missing 3 of their top 4 d-men. The Penguins will be fine. Fleury looks like he got his sh!t together now so if the Penguins can stay healthy next year then they will compete for the Cup, IF they can keep up the defensive style of play they had.

Trading Malkin or Crosby would be beyond stupid. You don't trade those players. You never win those deals. It shouldn't even be discussed.

I knew that the moment that Jim rutherford started getting rid of the grit guys like Despres, Bortuzzo, Sill etc that the Pens lacked some character on the team and sand paper on the team.

Those guys brought intensity and really made it hard for the opposition to play them, but once they left teams walked all over them and took liberties on them with no problem.

They were well liked players according to their Pens TV show they have and trading those guys really hurts the chemistry.

Archived