The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sedins playing hurt

TACIC

Numbers say otherwise

Eddie Lack 198 minutes 3.03 1-3 .886

Ryan Miller 156 minutes 2.31 1-1 .910

also remember Miller was coming back from injury while Eddie Lack rolled into the playoffs with some decent play

That's a small sample size and over the course of the regular season lack put up better numbers. Also, the context of those playoffs numbers need to be examined. Lack really only had one off game which was game 4 and even then only the 3rd goal was bad.

The canucks didn't come to play in Calgary in games 3 and 4. Miller came in during game 4 when the flames went into trap mode trying to defend the lead so didn't really generate much offense. Game 5 the canucks absolutely dominated and miller didn't need to make any tough saves. Even Craig Simpson said flames didn't challenge miller at all and he had a pedestrian night.

Game 6 is the only game where I would say miller had to actually work and was a normal game for him. Well he then proceeded to fail that test spectacularly by blowing a 3 goal lead, letting in 5 goals in an elimination game and letting rebounds out everywhere. If Willie pulled miller after the 3rd goal, we probably win that game. That was just another case of Willie being out coached since Hartley was smart enough to pull hiller after 2 quick goals. Hartley even said after the game he apologized to hiller cause it wasn't his fault but he wanted to change momentum and jump start the team.

Willie meanwhile just stood there and watched miller let in 3 quick goals and prayed that a leaky miller would somehow correct himself during the game. He was completely wrong on that and it cost us the game.

It's not hate it's truth the way he plays the game. No urgency with or without the puck unless it is an ill advised pinch.

The guy is so painful to watch with the puck that it makes my brain hurt.

Seriously I get why people love him. But let's be honest here. There is no player on this team who plays as slow as Bieksa does most of the time. It's like he is trying to slow things down to give him time to process what decision he should make. Painful to watch and only getting worse.

Having more giveaways is but one excuse you give with absolutely no context. Were they facing better competition? Were they forced or unforced giveaways? What was the rest of their game like compared to Bieksa?

All three of those guys were better overall than Bieksa this season and this series. Bottom line he is overpaid for what he brings.

The worst thing about people in here is the arrogance to tell people to cheer for other teams. I have been a canucks fan probably longer than you have been alive. Criticizing players or coaches and disliking their play or decisions does not make anyone less of a fan. It actually probably makes them more of a fan because they care enough to see the faults along with the sunshine and roses.

Get over yourself telling me who to cheer for pal. Since no one deserves criticism on this team does that mean I should say you should frack off and watch the leafs because you are apathetic towards the Canucks getting better? Of course not because that would be arrogant and rude. Fans have the right to be fans whichever way they choose to. So leave the high and mighty bs at the door.

I was born Sep 11, 1963. Seeing how the Canucks didn't come into the league until 1970, you can't possibly have cheered for them longer than I was born. I've been a fan since 1975.

Leafs fans call our players the sames names as you do - so why is it arrogant to tell you to join them?

Sounds more like you are hurt that you are being compared to them

If you don't like that - then change your attitude.

Corrado or Weber at their cap hit vs Bieksa at his? Why wait? Neither of those guys would be any worse imo.

Just my opinion; 185 lb Tanev, 5'11'' Weber, 190 lb Corrado and Clendenning down the right side of our D is just not enough meat on the bone...

Bieksa is here because he is needed and the best solution, problems and all, atm.

People have been calling for the Sedins to be traded for like a decade, including after last year.

Well....true....

That's a small sample size and over the course of the regular season lack put up better numbers. Also, the context of those playoffs numbers need to be examined. Lack really only had one off game which was game 4 and even then only the 3rd goal was bad.

The canucks didn't come to play in Calgary in games 3 and 4. Miller came in during game 4 when the flames went into trap mode trying to defend the lead so didn't really generate much offense. Game 5 the canucks absolutely dominated and miller didn't need to make any tough saves. Even Craig Simpson said flames didn't challenge miller at all and he had a pedestrian night.

Game 6 is the only game where I would say miller had to actually work and was a normal game for him. Well he then proceeded to fail that test spectacularly by blowing a 3 goal lead, letting in 5 goals in an elimination game and letting rebounds out everywhere. If Willie pulled miller after the 3rd goal, we probably win that game. That was just another case of Willie being out coached since Hartley was smart enough to pull hiller after 2 quick goals. Hartley even said after the game he apologized to hiller cause it wasn't his fault but he wanted to change momentum and jump start the team.

Willie meanwhile just stood there and watched miller let in 3 quick goals and prayed that a leaky miller would somehow correct himself during the game. He was completely wrong on that and it cost us the game.

Always an excuse...

Lack didn't put up "better numbers" in the regular season - they were almost the same. Lack lead in some, Miller in some.

Just my opinion; 185 lb Tanev, 5'11'' Weber, 190 lb Corrado and Clendenning down the right side of our D is just not enough meat on the bone...

Bieksa is here because he is needed and the best solution, problems and all, atm.

Bieksa is under 200 pounds too as far as I know. How is the extra couple of pounds making a difference?

If you want meat any 6'4 220 pound defensive dman out there available for a million per season can replace what Bieksa brings and probably be better defensively.

Lame excuse to hang onto Bieksa imo.

Will you stop hating on lack please and learn to give him credit?

Not hating on Lack - he will be our number 1.

He will learn a lot from Miller as well as what happened to him in the playoffs - he will be a better goalie for it.

Numbers don't lie.

I was born Sep 11, 1963. Seeing how the Canucks didn't come into the league until 1970, you can't possibly have cheered for them longer than I was born. I've been a fan since 1975.

Leafs fans call our players the sames names as you do - so why is it arrogant to tell you to join them?

Sounds more like you are hurt that you are being compared to them

If you don't like that - then change your attitude.

My mistake for you acting like a kid on here. Honest mistake.

I don't mind being compared to leafs fans because at least they will accept a rebuild of their team unlike the fair weather Van fans who need the playoffs or they stop going.

If fans would support a rebuild with enthusiasm and by continuing to go to games the aquilinis would have much less reason to put business over on ice product.

If I lived in Vancouver I would be a season ticket holder no matter what. That doesn't mean I would be happy clinging to the past every year until the Sedins are gone though. None of us should be.

Arrogance of telling someone else how to do things comes from insecurity. If your opinion mattered to me it could hurt my feelings I suppose. But it doesn't matter to me so it can't hurt me at all.

What I like about Lack is how much of a team player the guy has been. During the last Gillis year, after Luongo was traded, he was brought in and played until the point of exhaustion. His thanks for that? The team goes out and signs another veteran goalie to a big time contract. Lack continues to keep his chin up and be a good team guy, and also does a lot for the Canucks brand by being popular with fans. The veteran goalie gets injured, and once again Lack is asked to come in and cover. Not only does he, but he does so in an outstanding fashion. He gets (earns) the playoff start however after one bad period he gets benched in favor of the veteran goalie who admits he is not 100%. Canucks struggle, veteran goalie struggles, and still Lack doesn't get back in.

Lack says today he continues to really want to play here. Canucks are lucky to have him in my opinion.

Bieksa was virtually the only player who showed any type of pushback in the series. He's part of the leadership group. If indeed we're trying to maintain a high standard and decent environment for the prospects to come into here, then we have no choice but to follow his wishes and retain him.

If he wants to pursue opportunites elsewhere as a UFA, then so be it. That would be a shame imho.

When that times comes, then you might want to throw the idea of keeping the leadership around as mentors straight into the trash. This may be inevitable imho. Too bad by then the 2015 and 2016 drafts will be over. Here's a thought though... How about we just embrace the rebuild full on immediately?

Personal attacks don't really add anything to the conversation. I can see why you are a Bieksa fan. He seems to think personal attacks are a great thing to do too. Look how that worked out for the Canucks.

Hmnnnnnnnnnnnnnn:

My mistake for you acting like a kid on here. Honest mistake.

I don't mind being compared to leafs fans because at least they will accept a rebuild of their team unlike the fair weather Van fans who need the playoffs or they stop going.

If fans would support a rebuild with enthusiasm and by continuing to go to games the aquilinis would have much less reason to put business over on ice product.

If I lived in Vancouver I would be a season ticket holder no matter what. That doesn't mean I would be happy clinging to the past every year until the Sedins are gone though. None of us should be.

Arrogance of telling someone else how to do things comes from insecurity. If your opinion mattered to me it could hurt my feelings I suppose. But it doesn't matter to me so it can't hurt me at all.

An apology and a personal attack....

Anyways...I'm merely pointing out how you are being perceived.

We are rebuilding - somehow we made the playoffs this year - wasn't expected - at least not by me.

That's the problem with the Canucks the past 10 years - they have never sucked badly enough like how the Oilers have, the Kings, The Hawks, The Flames - and been able to get those top 10 draft picks...(Yes, we got Bo - but that was via a trade).

And for someone getting so butt hurt about Bieksa being criticized aren't you the same guy who constantly piles on lack and demands miller be the guy?

Isn't that a bit hypocritical considering lack at least contributed heavily to this team even making the playoffs while Bieksa didn't?

No - I'm pointing out the hypocrisy of others - myself, I know Lack is good and will be our number 1, but I also know he isn't quite ready for it. Don't rush him - he will be great. But he's not head and shoulders above Miller right now - that's what I'm getting at. Get it?

Don't compare a defense to a goalie.

Bieksa was virtually the only player who showed any type of pushback in the series. He's part of the leadership group. If indeed we're trying to maintain a high standard and decent environment for the prospects to come into here, then we have no choice but to follow his wishes and retain him.

If he wants to pursue opportunites elsewhere as a UFA, then so be it. That would be a shame imho.

When that times comes, then you might want to throw the idea of keeping the leadership around as mentors straight into the trash. This may be inevitable imho. Too bad by then the 2015 and 2016 drafts will be over. Here's a thought though... How about we just embrace the rebuild full on immediately?

The only push back he showed was when he jumped fergland.

Credit for what?

Why give an average goalie credit?

He did well enough to see this team into the playoffs. So I guess there's some credit to be had for that.

The only push back he showed was when he jumped fergland.

Sadly, this is what I'm referring to. There was also Burrows, but a linesman took him out. Sbisa was okay, but then hammered. Kenins did well at times, but did nothing in others. Bieksa was the only guy, and has been our main guy for years now, who could handle this type of play with any type of consistency.

What I like about Lack is how much of a team player the guy has been. During the last Gillis year, after Luongo was traded, he was brought in and played until the point of exhaustion. His thanks for that? The team goes out and signs another veteran goalie to a big time contract. Lack continues to keep his chin up and be a good team guy, and also does a lot for the Canucks brand by being popular with fans. The veteran goalie gets injured, and once again Lack is asked to come in and cover. Not only does he, but he does so in an outstanding fashion. He gets (earns) the playoff start however after one bad period he gets benched in favor of the veteran goalie who admits he is not 100%. Canucks struggle, veteran goalie struggles, and still Lack doesn't get back in.

Lack says today he continues to really want to play here. Canucks are lucky to have him in my opinion.

Ummmmnnnn....when did Miller struggle? Stats don't lie....see post 77: http://forum.canucks.com/topic/369246-sedins-playing-hurt/?p=12760931

Lack won 1 games against 3 losses and a 3.03 GAA...

But yes, we are lucky to have him...I see him playing about the same number of games next year as he did this one.

I see him as the number 1 the year after that.

Archived