The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[2014-15] Canucks Injuries & Ice Chips Thread Part 2 | Where the Streets Have No Kassian Updates

Brad Marchand

Templeton Peck = Actual Moderator

Elvis15 = Not

We're all aware of that, do you have a point? I was wondering why there was a new thread when I'd recently been using the old one to keep track of what was happening.

But good for you for quoting a post from a month and a half ago to try and fish for +1's.

i dont like your username sir!

And I don't like when people quote a long post just to say something really simple and unrelated to the thread - or worse yet, continually create new threads (particularly bad ones).

:picard:

Does any reporter know what off the record means?

Yeah, that seemed a little stupid on Kuzma's part. We had to know it was more than just a minor injury to be taking this long (Kassian's back is another story), but clearly he didn't quite grasp the concept of what he was told and how he could use that info.

Any update on ANY of the injuries?

Also curious as to who gets the last 2 starts. Sure Miller is great, but I'd much rather see Markstrom get a few more looks before the end of the year.

New Dorsett and Sbisa deals? We better hope this means Benning can move a contract like Miller's in the off-season.

I'd like to see Markstrom get another start before he goes back too, Give Lack a rest and Miller more time to come back. We need to know what we have in Markstrom before we make a decision in the offseason about our goalies. I'd think Benning already knows what he has in Miller and Lack, but while he's seen Markstrom with Florida I'd think he'd want to see more of him now in the NHL.

And it looks like Miller's ready for at least the backup role, as they're sending Markstrom back to Utica today. They could use Markstrom with 3 games this weekend and gearing up for the playoff push.

Jacob Markstrom with bags packed leaving Rogers Arena. Must mean Ryan Miller is good to back up (at least) tonight. #Canucks

Wouldn't mined Kassian coming back games 3-4-5 some wheres in there. If we are up 3-1 in series I would keep him out until one of ANA/WPG to make sure he is 100% healthy

Or get him a couple games before we play those teams so he's not going in cold.

If he's ready, you play him.

short piece from canucks army on Kass and Richie heading into the playoffs

The injury bug can be a Brad Marchand-level pest.

Going into the playoffs the Vancouver Canucks' vaunted forward depth has taken a hit with inconsistent but unquestionably dynamic winger Zack Kassian and ace penalty killer Brad Richardson out of the lineup indefinitely with a variety of injuries.

In an appearance on TSN 1040 late on Friday night the Province's Canucks beat writer Jason Botchfordshed some light on the respective health status of Kassian and Richardson. Let's recap after the jump.

Zack Kassian

Kassian was playing some of the best hockey of his Canucks tenure when he sustained an undisclosed injury in mid-March. He's now been out of the lineup for a full month.

According to Botchford Kassian is battling through a back injury, one that has rendered him unable to get out of bed on occasion.

So that's decidedly mixed news. On the one hand, Kassian's injury has been way more severe than we understood previously, but at least he could be back before the possible elimination games in the first round.

BRAD RICHARDSON

Richardson hasn't been a regular in the Canucks lineup since he sustained a foot injury in mid-January. At first he wasn't expected to miss much time, but it's been 11 weeks, and he's still far below 100 percent.

He may yet return to play for the Canucks, but it won't be as a healthy player explains Botchford:

Richardson's presence has been sorely lack on a once elite Canucks penalty kill that has been significantly more permissive - though perhaps we haven't noticed as much as we would have were it not for Eddie Lack's stellar play the past seven weeks - since Richardson left the lineup.

The Flames don't boast a particularly dangerous power play, and Nick Bonino, Bo Horvat, and Henrik Sedin have all been fine when counted on to log more shorthanded minutes, but Richardson is an elite 4-on-5 presence and the team is better when he's in the lineup.

Listen to Botchford's complete radio hit

Archived