The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2015 Masterton Trophy finalists: Dubnyk, Hammond, Letang

Given to the player who shows “qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship, and dedication to hockey.”:

The Professional Hockey Writers Association named the three finalists for the 2015 Bill Masterton Trophy on Thursday: Minnesota Wild goalie Devan Dubnyk, Ottawa Senators netminder Andrew Hammond and Pittsburgh Penguins defenseman Kris Letang.

The award goes to the player who “best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship and dedication to hockey.” It’s tough to think of three better nominees for the 2014-15 season.

Dubnyk, 28, went from a ruinous season in 2013-14 (being cast off by the Edmonton Oilers and eventually finding himself in career limbo) to a Vezina Trophy finalist this season. You can read more about his journey here.

Hammond, 27, came into the season as an unknown. He was an undrafted free agent with little on his resume, only to lead the Senators to one of the most unlikely playoff bids in recent memory (if ever). He also earned a lifetime supply of free McDonald’s, so he’s not without awards already. (Though he’d probably take a new contract over unlimited McGriddles.) The Senators have more on “The Hamburgler” here.

Letang, 28, overcame the greatest odds physically. He suffered a frightening stroke last season – and has dealt with plenty of more traditional injuries over the years, including unfortunate concussion issues – only to post possibly the best season of his NHL career in 2014-15. Check out more from the Penguins, including some heartfelt quotes from the Penguins.

All three players present inspirational stories, but only one will bring home the Masterton this year.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/30/2015-masterton-trophy-finalists-dubnyk-hammond-letang/

Hammond played only 25 games... Kind of strange he got a nom. Letang is still going through injuries and stuff so I so t think he overcome anything yet. Dubnyk is the obvious choice for what he has overcome and what he has accomplished ( and what he will accomplish )

I'd go with Hammond on this one even with his 25 games played, he came in with zero NHL experience, probably thought he would never make the NHL and then when he finally did he helped turned the Ottawa Senators around and got them into the playoffs. Never give up!

I'd rank them in order of:

1) Letang

2) Dubnyk

3) Hammond

We know that generally the Masterton goes to players who have fought mainly through injury. Although that isn't the only key feature, it is generally what the award is decided on. Based on that I believe that Letang will win it. The guy not only suffered an injury, but a freaking stoke. And then he comes back and is in the scoring race for defenceman and likely would have won it if not for more injures.

Dubnyk has been through 5 teams in 2 years. Dubnyk never gave up and he was the reason the Wild made the playoffs. He never gave up on his career and has fought through it.

Hammond is a great story, but quite honestly, he hasn't done enough (probably because 25 games just isn't a big enough sample size) to win the trophy, in my opinion.

Hammond is a great story, but quite honestly, he hasn't done enough (probably because 25 games just isn't a big enough sample size) to win the trophy, in my opinion.

I don't expect Hammond to win...but in his defense, he won almost every regular season game he played.

It might be decades before another guy goes on a run like he did.

The Sens should give Hammy a trophy just for that run, he was awesome for the team and the Senator fans.

Maybe a silver Hamburger on a stand.

Hammond has had to dig his way to an NHL gig. Letang has fought back from terrible illness and injuries. Dubnyk played badly for so long and finally turned good? Behind one of the best D corps in the entire league? On a defense-first team? He has no business being in the same category as Hammond and Letang.

Letang all the way but he's the only one of the three I'd have had as a finalist. Nominees I'd have had ahead of Hammond and Dubnyk include Alex Tanguay, Nathan Gerbe and Stephane Robidas.

Hammond has had to dig his way to an NHL gig. Letang has fought back from terrible illness and injuries. Dubnyk played badly for so long and finally turned good? Behind one of the best D corps in the entire league? On a defense-first team? He has no business being in the same category as Hammond and Letang.

Letang all the way but he's the only one of the three I'd have had as a finalist. Nominees I'd have had ahead of Hammond and Dubnyk include Alex Tanguay, Nathan Gerbe and Stephane Robidas.

Dubnyk had ONE bad season....considering he was on the Oilers his numbers overall are actually quite good, and much better than the guys that replaced him in Edmonton.

Hammond did something that no goalie might ever do again....

Also, what has Tanguay, Gerbe, or Robidas done? Didn't they all miss the playoffs? Tanguay was reunited with Iginla, Gerbe was always too small to be any good in the NHL and Robidas elbowed Matthias in the head. Screw him. You want to give him a trophy?

Dubnyk had ONE bad season....considering he was on the Oilers his numbers overall are actually quite good, and much better than the guys that replaced him in Edmonton.

Hammond did something that no goalie might ever do again....

Also, what has Tanguay, Gerbe, or Robidas done? Didn't they all miss the playoffs? Tanguay was reunited with Iginla, Gerbe was always too small to be any good in the NHL and Robidas elbowed Matthias in the head. Screw him. You want to give him a trophy?

Dubnyk's time with the Oilers: Sv% of .889, .916, .914, .920 (good) and .894. Then 0.850 with the Preds in two games. He moves to a defense-first, quality D core team and posts .936. And that's apparently worth a Masterton? Put Dan Cloutier behind Suter, Brodin, Dumba, Scandella and Spurgeon and he'd post .920.

Tanguay, Gerbe and Robidas have all come back from career-threatening injuries, particularly Gerbe. Perseverance through injury is worth much more than perserverance through poor performance. And Gerbe had personal tragedy as well.

Dubnyk's time with the Oilers: Sv% of .889, .916, .914, .920 (good) and .894. Then 0.850 with the Preds in two games. He moves to a defense-first, quality D core team and posts .936. And that's apparently worth a Masterton? Put Dan Cloutier behind Suter, Brodin, Dumba, Scandella and Spurgeon and he'd post .920.

Tanguay, Gerbe and Robidas have all come back from career-threatening injuries, particularly Gerbe. Perseverance through injury is worth much more than perserverance through poor performance. And Gerbe had personal tragedy as well.

Dubnyk was looking on fine with Arizona, and Arizona was not a great defensive team this season. He restructured his game and his play made an immediate impact.

The fact that Kuemper and Backstrom couldn't flourish behind Minnesota's system is proof that your argument holds no water. By the way, there's nothing wrong with ~910 save % on Edmonton. Dubnyk took the blame for the team's poor play, he deserved a trophy just for putting up with that crap.

Archived