The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alberta Election: NDP Wins Majority to End PC Dynasty

DonLever

I would love to have all the things the NDP promise, who doesn’t want better child care, health care and education, but their plan is not economically feasible. Think about the BIG picture? Let’s face it, these big corporations and large income earners are not going to roll over and pay more tax and take that decrease in income graciously, so we can have better health care and education (I wish they would, but it’s not reality). They will either A) take their business or assets elsewhere, b ) lay off people to cover those losses, and/or C) charge more for their products and services. So who suffers… the little guys, the middle class… who lost their jobs… who now have to pay more for products and services… who pay the majority of the provinces tax revenue. Some math for you, because I like math. Of the Province’s total revenue (49.4 billion in 13/14) only 11% of it comes from corporate tax. And of that 11%, there are taxes paid by small business making less than $500,000 per year, who’s taxes won’t increase (not sure exactly how much makes up that 11%). 21% of the total revenue comes from personal income tax. But only the top 10% of individual income earners will contribute a little bit more. So best case scenario, let’s say all the big guys stay around and continue to make the same amount of money (which is unlikely)…. those tax increases would amount to at most $1.6 billion in extra revenue. Now let’s go thought everything the NDP would like to give us in the next 4 years. Per the NDP Election Platform (which was taken off their website the night of the election): $89 million for Job Creation Tax Credit, $855 million for Education (includes $60 million for School Lunch, whatever the heck that is), $150 million for Child Care, just to name a few…. and $2.13 billion towards Health Care. Jim Prentice was right Mrs. Notley, “Math is difficult”. And I am not a fan of Prentice..

When Deborah Drever a person with zero experience gets elected and a lack for pride in this country something is wrong. Who's Ms. Drever you ask.

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/new-calgary-bow-mla-takes-down-questionable-facebook-page

Brandy Payne was another that got elected. this morning on her twitter she posted.

"Todays to do list, 9am - yoga; 10:30 - search"what does an MLA do?" noon-yoga; 1 pm - call Notley to see what kind of office a get."

Real inspiring winners that we are entrusting to run this province.

I suppose disappointed would be the underlying feeling of how I am. There is no doubt in my mind that a change in this province was needed. The Conservatives under Redford and the backroom hand shaking snake Prentice needed a wake up call, or even better to be ousted just as they were, but to hand the reigns to the bloody NDP is unconscionable. People are so near sighted, not to be able to recognize their track record for ruining perfectly good provinces. The biggest thanks needs to go out to all those Wildrose MLA's who crossed the floor and completely ruined the parties credibility. If they'd had a shred of foresight, this election would have been theirs on a silver platter. Bring on the taxes and crumbling economy, or prove me wrong NDP... But I doubt it. Sorry for the rant everyone.

Moving on....don't want to talk about it anymore....

I would love to have all the things the NDP promise, who doesn’t want better child care, health care and education, but their plan is not economically feasible. Think about the BIG picture? Let’s face it, these big corporations and large income earners are not going to roll over and pay more tax and take that decrease in income graciously, so we can have better health care and education (I wish they would, but it’s not reality). They will either A) take their business or assets elsewhere, b ) lay off people to cover those losses, and/or C) charge more for their products and services. So who suffers… the little guys, the middle class… who lost their jobs… who now have to pay more for products and services… who pay the majority of the provinces tax revenue. Some math for you, because I like math. Of the Province’s total revenue (49.4 billion in 13/14) only 11% of it comes from corporate tax. And of that 11%, there are taxes paid by small business making less than $500,000 per year, who’s taxes won’t increase (not sure exactly how much makes up that 11%). 21% of the total revenue comes from personal income tax. But only the top 10% of individual income earners will contribute a little bit more. So best case scenario, let’s say all the big guys stay around and continue to make the same amount of money (which is unlikely)…. those tax increases would amount to at most $1.6 billion in extra revenue. Now let’s go thought everything the NDP would like to give us in the next 4 years. Per the NDP Election Platform (which was taken off their website the night of the election): $89 million for Job Creation Tax Credit, $855 million for Education (includes $60 million for School Lunch, whatever the heck that is), $150 million for Child Care, just to name a few…. and $2.13 billion towards Health Care. Jim Prentice was right Mrs. Notley, “Math is difficult”. And I am not a fan of Prentice..

When Deborah Drever a person with zero experience gets elected and a lack for pride in this country something is wrong. Who's Ms. Drever you ask.

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/new-calgary-bow-mla-takes-down-questionable-facebook-page

Brandy Payne was another that got elected. this morning on her twitter she posted.

"Todays to do list, 9am - yoga; 10:30 - search"what does an MLA do?" noon-yoga; 1 pm - call Notley to see what kind of office a get."

I suppose disappointed would be the underlying feeling of how I am. There is no doubt in my mind that a change in this province was needed. The Conservatives under Redford and the backroom hand shaking snake Prentice needed a wake up call, or even better to be ousted just as they were, but to hand the reigns to the bloody NDP is unconscionable. People are so near sighted, not to be able to recognize their track record for ruining perfectly good provinces. The biggest thanks needs to go out to all those Wildrose MLA's who crossed the floor and completely ruined the parties credibility. If they'd had a shred of foresight, this election would have been theirs on a silver platter. Bring on the taxes and crumbling economy, or prove me wrong NDP... But I doubt it. Sorry for the rant everyone.

Moving on? I'm sure some people have something to say in rebuttal.

How about that Prentice, walking off the stage saying I quit politics. Now that's real leadership for you. Alberta has been in trouble for about 10 years, since they started pi**ing away all their Heritage Fund $$. Oil over $100 a barrel until recently and nothing put back into it. That could have gone a long way to support those plans above. Move on like your leader Prentice then.

Moving on? I'm sure some people have something to say in rebuttal.

There's no rebuttal, i'm disappointed and I listed why, NDP won, there's nothing I can do about it, the election is over. Like is said moving on..

How about that Prentice, walking off the stage saying I quit politics. Now that's real leadership for you. Alberta has been in trouble for about 10 years, since they started pi**ing away all their Heritage Fund $$. Oil over $100 a barrel until recently and nothing put back into it. That could have gone a long way to support those plans above. Move on like your leader Prentice then.

oh, there it is. Honestly there's no point getting into it, it's over and nothing can be done about it. I was not a fan of Prentice and believed we needed a change, as I said before going from one side to the other and handing them a majority is a bit extreme. I'm glad he stepped down, it's what was needed a long time ago. Oh well nothing can be done about it now.. moving on..

http://www.bnn.ca/Video/player.aspx?vid=608442#.VUrXyLeOhdV.facebook

There's no rebuttal, i'm disappointed and I listed why, NDP won, there's nothing I can do about it, the election is over. Like is said moving on..

oh, there it is. Honestly there's no point getting into it, it's over and nothing can be done about it. I was not a fan of Prentice and believed we needed a change, as I said before going from one side to the other and handing them a majority is a bit extreme. I'm glad he stepped down, it's what was needed a long time ago. Oh well nothing can be done about it now.. moving on..

http://www.bnn.ca/Video/player.aspx?vid=608442#.VUrXyLeOhdV.facebook

Except for the fact that the PC's have had majority gov'ts until the cows came home. Can't have it both ways, now can we?

In regards to "where the money will come from" to pay for even half of the stuff in either the federal or average NDP platforms.

People seem to think that more money needs to be raised....why?

Enough money is being made but by and large is being horribly wasted on almost meaningless crap. A simple examination of what's important vs what is expendable in a very common sense approach is all that's needed.

Do you buy groceries for your family or lend your wealthy friend? Do you buy a brand new needless car or repair your still functioning one?

Seriously. There's more than enough $ as is. It just needs to be spent properly. When you factor in a possible resetting of royalty and corporate tax rates to early Klein levels you realize there's plenty to go around.

The corps survived an energy crisis where royalty rates were 30% and corporate taxes were around 20% . They'll survive it again.

Interesting times in AB politics. I for one, living in Alberta, don't think we will see a huge shift in our day to day lives. I think that the NDP will continue to work with the oil companies, however they will do a good job of making it look like they are taxing/royaltying more, and going green. In the long run, they know as well as anyone knows, if they want this province to flourish, oil has to flourish, at the end of the day you can add taxes here and there and everywhere, but in AB it still all comes down to oil, and the NDP know this and will most certainly attempt to keep Alberta an attractive place to extract oil. The entire nation, not just province, relies on the success of the oil industry.

I am curious to see though, what types of changes we will see here though with a complete 180* shift in government.

Also, Jim Prentice should fire his advisor, who the heck adds a bunch of tax hikes/new taxes, then runs a radio campaign essentially blaming citizens for the econimic downturn, and then, when everyones good and mad, decides it a good time to call an election. I mean really, who in any state of mind thinks calling an election and thinking you'll come out roses would be a good idea? Had he waited a year until he had to have an election, peoples emotions would have settled, I think the Wildrose party would have had a chance to rebuild their reputation after the massive deflection, and the election outcome would have been quite different.

I for one don't believe we had a clear cut best party to vote for at this time. I like some of the things the NDP's party platform and agenda are about, and I also like some of the things the Wildrose was about. But honestly, I didnt have a strong feeling for any party in this election.

I guess we will see in the next 5 years if this was a positive move for the province, a sideways move, or a disaster.

This reminds me a lot of when Obama was elected/ re-elected. I was working in the USA and all the guys from the Deep South started buying all the firearms off the shelves and filling out resumes to work overseas.

"Obama is going to take my guns away and stop drilling."

7 years later, they all still have their guns and the USA is producing an unprecedented amount of Oil.

One of the NDP's biggest beefs with Energy is the water used, and effects of, Hydraulic fracturing. The big players have already been proactively eliminating water by using Nitrogen or their own recoverd natural gas. The alternative methods are much more costly, but far less damaging to the environment. The NDP could offer energy producers credits or incentives for using the alternative methods, while at the same time raise the royalty % to offset the cost.

This is a way to both raise the royalties to please the masses and force oil companies to be more responsible.

As I mentioned earlier the bigger companies with deeper pockets have up to 5 years of data to back up the cost differential between conventional and unconventional fracking.

This reminds me a lot of when Obama was elected/ re-elected. I was working in the USA and all the guys from the Deep South started buying all the firearms off the shelves and filling out resumes to work overseas.

"Obama is going to take my guns away and stop drilling."

7 years later, they all still have their guns and the USA is producing an unprecedented amount of Oil.

One of the NDP's biggest beefs with Energy is the water used, and effects of, Hydraulic fracturing. The big players have already been proactively eliminating water by using Nitrogen or their own recoverd natural gas. The alternative methods are much more costly, but far less damaging to the environment. The NDP could offer energy producers credits or incentives for using the alternative methods, while at the same time raise the royalty % to offset the cost.

This is a way to both raise the royalties to please the masses and force oil companies to be more responsible.

As I mentioned earlier the bigger companies with deeper pockets have up to 5 years of data to back up the cost differential between conventional and unconventional fracking.

Holy...that was one of the most intelligent and coherent posts I think you've made :towel:

Archived