The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alberta Election: NDP Wins Majority to End PC Dynasty

DonLever

NDP now leading in 54 ridings and a looming majority!!!!

That is absolutely incredible.

For those who follow the political landscape in Alberta the Progressive Conservatives have led in party or as a majority unbroken for over 40 years.

This is a province so staunchly conservative that to punish the conservative MLAs they'd vote in further right Conservative MLAs.

To see an NDP majority is quite honestly about as likely as correctly guessing the Lotto Max numbers.

I am absolutely floored if this is true

Looking like a strong majority. I'm floored. Could have some far-reaching consequences nationally.

If true than Calgary has a liberal mayor, Edmonton has a massive NDP powerbase and that the dastardly NDP not only shattered PC power in Alberta but also defeated Prentice, Harper's former right hand man of almost a decade.

Politically this is historical. federally with an election coming up and recently alienating a lot of rural supporters in Saskatchewan, if I'm Harper I am sh**ing my pantaloons

http://www.cbc.ca/includes/provincialelections/albertavotes2015/dashboard/

NDP 20 Elected 34 Leading

Wildrose 5 Elected 14 leading

Progressive Conservative 0 elected 12 leading

Liberals and the Alberta party again don't even matter. But the PCs possibly being completely in the rear view of the further right Wildrose and the much further left NDP.

Amazing

If interest rates go up a few points - 1/3 or more of BC Families could be heading towards bankrupcy. Our province is living on credit that is being fueled by a ton of low paying jobs - everyone can have 2 or more if they want!!

Seriously folks - the middle class in Canada is all but gone - while Canadian corperations continue to report Record profits over and over. Here in BC voters have bought the attack adds to the point that its almost like Munchausen syndrome. People voted in a right wing goverment on the promise of LNG riches for everyone and spreading complete nonsense about the NDP. People became so afraid of loosing a few hundred bucks a year in more taxes that they voted to lose thousands more in wages/user fees/rate hikes.

Imagine in 50 years when your grandkids who will never own a home - never enjoy retirement ask you "Did you help try and save the middle class or were you one of those that wanted businuess to have nearly all of it?"

It's not a stretch and BC has been damaged so badly it will take generations to right some of the BC Liberal wrongs.

Bravo on Alberata voters for looking past the lies and past the fear and attack adds and voting for a goverment that says that businuess and families matter equally. I hope Cristy Clark and Harper reflect that it was the fear and attack adds that got thems elected and when voters actually turn out to vote - Canadians don't share their right wing extreme views. I doubt they will take heed but voters hopefully got the message tonight

If you don't show up to vote you get the goverment you deserve. Tonight the voters showed up in Alberta.

I hope voters turn up for our Federal Election and I hope people actually ask what good a party can do - instead of listing to attack adds about fear.

Considering how badly the PCs have ruined the province's bottom line despite having tons of economic advantages (higher oil royalties are basically a 'Get out of debt free' card that most parts of the world do not have.

NDP need to:

-Raise royalties on oil

-Raise corporate tax

-Establish a more reasonable minimum wage ($10 is a joke considering how much Canadians are already taxed)

Before you tell me businesses will move on, remember Alberta has the oil. That oil is basically a money press. Nobody's leaving. Put some of these strategies in place now, and the government can even lower taxes later on, after some of the fiscal damage has been repaired.

Just like in BC - Alberta and Canada had moved a large portion of tax revenue to the end user instead of taxing it at the source. This model works well when you have a thriving middle class that is spending lots of their extra cash.

HOWEVER

This model is a disaster when wages fall or become stagnant and you no longer have a middle class or even any working class that is still spending at the same pace and level.

Just like those folks trying to sell the HST it was all based on the end consumer paying the tax - no one ever challenged that the real problem was "what happens when the consumer stops and or slows spending?".

I hope this is the beginning of real change for all of Canada - one that stops the fear and attack adds - and challenges all politicians to demonstrate that they will represent - corporations and business / workers / families all equally. Got to give it to Alberta - They spoke with a loud voice and had the courage to say Enough is Enough

Its the right thing to do - if a leader of a goverment fails to win they should step back. I have more respect for him than Cristy who took a safe seat after loosing her own. At least Mr Prentice gets it that he is not bigger than Jesus and his party is more important than him.

Exactly!

Don't people understand, Alberta doesn't really have unions. Hard to claim unions will be an issue when PC governments and Harper have fostered such a large contingent of TFWs instead.

Cry about unions...lose your job to a TFW

Say what?

You mean all those people working the Oil Patch and supporting the Oil industry are all non union?????

Yes, lowest in Canada - but that's still a lot of voters:

http://www4.hrsdc.gc.ca/.3ndic.1t.4r@-eng.jsp?iid=17

c_3_17_4_1_eng.png?20130712085500446

Stephen Harper, just had his eyes opened. Interesting times ahead.

If Jack Layton were still alive, he'd probably be PM this upcoming election. But instead we have Tom Mulcair, who truly is an excellent opposition leader but for some reason is disliked by the general public. Honestly, the people here on this forum who thought Layton was okay but don't like Mulcair haven't a clue what they're talking about. But that's Canada for you. Stupid and uninformed.

I knew Alberta wasn't full of right wing nuts. Unlike BC.

If Jack Layton were still alive, he'd probably be PM this upcoming election. But instead we have Tom Mulcair, who truly is an excellent opposition leader but for some reason is disliked by the general public. Honestly, the people here on this forum who thought Layton was okay but don't like Mulcair haven't a clue what they're talking about. But that's Canada for you. Stupid and uninformed.

I knew Alberta wasn't full of right wing nuts. Unlike BC.

If he stayed true to his message for sure. In my opinion the problem with Mulcair is that he is not conciliatory or at least does not come across as such. He doesn't have the same charisma Layton had for sure. Layton inspired those he led, Mulcair is decent at politicking.

Regardless, I was clearly wrong earlier.

Archived