The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ownership and Fans Disconnect.

badassian9

Out of curiosity, what would you consider a successful season? Myself and many fans DO NOT CARE about regular season success when absolutely no progress is made when it really counts. I was quite happy with this seasons turnaround until this team once again showed their most consistent play comes in April, and it is consistently subpar.

While you are correct about Chicago's new ownership, you conveniently downplay that without their high draft picks ( Towes, Kane, Seabrook, Crawford, as well as early 2nd rounders including Bolland & Keith).. That team, no matter how much money the owners were willing to invest would be mediocre.

Where would Vancouver be without the Sedins?

I do not support a full tank , but I will not stand behind the same line up of Core Veterans that have failed to show up for the playoffs.

One last point to all the fans worried about the Canucks losing money if we arent competitive... We already are losing money with this 100 point team that made the playoffs, our fan base is tired of losing and thankfully unlike the Oilers and Leafs zombies, they vote with their wallets which forces management to act. How is it in any way a bad thing that the overpriced Canucks tickets are not selling out? Maybe I can watch more than 1 game a year live.

Correct on the Blackhawks...It was via Bill Wirtz's ignorance that they managed to acquire Toews and Kane..Its pretty sickening how mismanagement gets rewarded with these kind of players.

I vote to let the canucks be run by a committee selected from CDC. It would be worth watching the team spiral to the bottom just to see all the funny things that would happen.

Oh, and there's no disconnect with ownership, because there is no connect. Despite what people think there is no 'relationship' besides customer.

I'm fully on board with the plan.

I would prefer if the team continues to be competitive while infusing youth into the lineup. The change won't happen overnight, but it is better than building a team that is comfortable with losing.

I also agree with this. I think management has struck the right balance of bringing in youth while remaining competitive. If you look at our team, not only did we manage to exceed expectations this year points-wise, but our prospect cupboard is looking a lot better than it was previously. It's good to have an organizational culture that demands success, rather than being content to give a half-assed effort.

It's also easy for us fans to say we'll put up with a few years of losing, but judging from attendance stats, it definitely doesn't seem like we're willing to put our money where our mouth is. As fans, we have nothing to lose but management is the one with millions of dollars on the line. The average fan loses interest in their team when they aren't doing well.

Out of curiosity, what would you consider a successful season? Myself and many fans DO NOT CARE about regular season success when absolutely no progress is made when it really counts. I was quite happy with this seasons turnaround until this team once again showed their most consistent play comes in April, and it is consistently subpar.

While you are correct about Chicago's new ownership, you conveniently downplay that without their high draft picks ( Towes, Kane, Seabrook, Crawford, as well as early 2nd rounders including Bolland & Keith).. That team, no matter how much money the owners were willing to invest would be mediocre.

Where would Vancouver be without the Sedins?

I do not support a full tank , but I will not stand behind the same line up of Core Veterans that have failed to show up for the playoffs.

One last point to all the fans worried about the Canucks losing money if we arent competitive... We already are losing money with this 100 point team that made the playoffs, our fan base is tired of losing and thankfully unlike the Oilers and Leafs zombies, they vote with their wallets which forces management to act. How is it in any way a bad thing that the overpriced Canucks tickets are not selling out? Maybe I can watch more than 1 game a year live.

As a fan, I'd say that a successful season is one where the team has a good regular season, at the very least winning their division, maybe winning the President's Trophy, followed by winning the Cup.

Incorporated with that is having several of the players on my team having a good season, both in the sense of personal stats and/or observers noting that a certain player is very good at what his role is with the team. Example: Bob Gainey. This guy only broke the 20 goal mark four times in a fifteen year career, but he was one of, if not the most important players on his team during his time with Montreal.

I want total domination.

Anything other than winning the Cup and you can start subtracting by percentages, or dropping letter grades and so on. This being said, you can still have a pretty successful season, and not win the Cup. Really.

Did you enjoy watching the games? Was it fun getting together with friends and cheering for your team? Was it exciting waiting for the playoffs to start? Oh wait, they didn't win the Cup so the entire season is a write off. I'm not that kind of fan. Some folks handle disappointment differently than others. For those who hold the team to such a high standard, I can only assume that you hold yourselves to an equally high standard in whatever it is you do in your lives.

Regarding Chicago, I don't believe I was downplaying anything, chum, at least that was not my intention if that was how it was perceived. My point about Chicago is that the new ownership signed those high draft picks to significant contracts which kept them in Chicago rather than trading them away for picks and prospects as might have happened under the previous owner.Having an owner who is willing to spend is part of what will one day bring the Cup to Vancouver. It's a process.

Now, speaking as an owner (I'm taking liberties with Aquilini's opinion here), a successful season for me is one where I make a profit because my team has had a successful regular season, and therefore my team is holding on to the majority of the fan base (this may not include you). T-shirt sales and the like are still good, and advertisers are still calling because the team is successful during the regular season, and fans watch the product on TV.

An even more successful season for me is one where my team is successful during the regular season, and then makes the playoffs so I make even more profit. A season to beat that is one where my team is successful during the regular season, and then not only makes the playoffs but wins at least one round.... and so on, up to having a successful regular season and then winning the Cup.

What is the common feature in each of the above? "A successful regular season."

Now, since I'm paying the bills around here (as it were), I am happy to have a re-build/re-tool while still having a pretty good product on the ice during the regular season. I don't want to tank, or have several seasons where my team is playing below .500 hockey while the young guys learn how to play in the NHL, And where is it written that going this route does result in a Cup? NOTE: I'm not saying you in particular are in favour of this method of building a team, it is a general comment.

I also don't want to screw with my product so that it gets a bad name (beyond what the Nattering Nabobs of Negativism have to say).because it takes time to re-build fan interest. I've already spent a lot of cash in marketing this team, and I don't want to throw that away. Having several seasons of a good regular season team which has variable success in the playoffs is better to me than several seasons of sucking muchly and then not making the playoffs.

Now, you may not care about regular season success, but how much is my franchise making if they only back into the playoffs every year? Even if the team wins a Cup once or twice in a decade, so fans feel good about themselves, doesn't help my bottom line. Do I want to win? Yes. Do I want to win AND make a profit? An even bigger yes.

Just curious about your statement regarding "...losing money with this 100 point team that made the playoffs." On what are you basing this? Even with the end of the regular season sellout string which ended in October of this season, the team is still doing pretty good:

http://www.forbes.com/teams/vancouver-canucks/

regards,

G.

But G

the Hawks and Leafs are good comparisons because they have or are living through owner meddling.

As you pointed out the Hawks improved when ownership changes and the internal cap was lifted.

The Leafs failed under Ballard and his intense meddling and are now failing while being run by MLSE which also imparts too much control over the manager's decisions.

regards L

There's meddling and then there's an owner giving clear direction on how he wants his assets to be handled.

Meddling is usually bad, and I can't say that there is clear evidence that Aquilini has meddled, although some might disagree on certain points like the Tortorella signing. On the other hand, Ballard was a wrecking ball to his own team (eg. Sittler).

Clear direction is usually better, but also can be the cause of screw ups. Is the ownership of the Canucks, the Leafs, or the current ownership of the Hawks meddling or giving clear instructions when they tell their respective GMs to spend to the cap? They are seen as meddling when they put an internal cap in place.

Is an owner meddling when he shows reserve to the GM who says he wants to sign a particular player to a very hefty contract? And what about the owners who didn't agree to buyouts on certain contracts after the latest CBA, were they meddling by not agreeing to pay out all that cash?

regards,

G.

PS - I gots that "regards" thing copyrighted. Just saying...

I vote to let the canucks be run by a committee selected from CDC. It would be worth watching the team spiral to the bottom just to see all the funny things that would happen.

Oh, and there's no disconnect with ownership, because there is no connect. Despite what people think there is no 'relationship' besides customer.

Winner. +1

regards,

G.

No matter what this team does, people complain about it.

Waaaahhh.... too many NTCs!

Waaaaahh... Benning is overpaying by not having NTCs!

Waaaahhh...Throw the rookies out there!

Waaaahhh...Let the players develop properly!

Waaahhhh...We missed the playoffs!

Waaaahhh...We lost in the playoffs!

We have to tank!

We shouldn't tank!

Benning can't wave a magic wand and fix everything in one season. Benning also has an advantage most of us don't have. He's actually played in the NHL. As he's a former defenseman, who do you think has a better understanding of a prospect or player, a random fan, or Benning? Maybe Benning sees things and potential that we don't. So maybe we should let him get on with his job.

Just because he's picking players that you may not like, doesn't mean they are bad moves. Judge Benning in two more seasons.

As for the core. The Sedin's have a no trade clause, and who has $14 million in cap space to take them?

Burrows, Hamhuis, Bieksa will probably refuse to waive. So who do you have left? You trade Mattias at the draft for whatever you can. Ask Higgins to waive, but we might get what a 2nd rounder in return? Not a lot of options if you want to move the vets out.

What we can hope is 3-4 players in training camp have such a good impact, and beat the vets for roster spots. That way it forces their hand, it's either move or not play. Our defence will sort it self out next season anyways.

In my opinion, it's not the Sedin's that's the problem. It's the lack of the supporting cast around them, and a woeful defence. We might have a good defence on paper, but on the ice, it's too slow, and can't clear the zone, and can't hold the puck in on the offensive zone.

Don't u get tired of writing "regards G"." Every single fricken post? Not every post u make has to look like you were writing as if your like Tony Gallagher or something lol.

Its amazing how some people get bent out of shape over such trivial things..

Benning can't wave a magic wand and fix everything in one season. Benning also has an advantage most of us don't have. He's actually played in the NHL. As he's a former defenseman, who do you think has a better understanding of a prospect or player, a random fan, or Benning?

Bob Mackenzie and Friedman had no NHL careers, Healy and Stock did

I don't disagree that it's too early to crucify Benning but he's not beyond criticism based of being in the NHL. One can be a student of the game without ever lacing them up.

Don't u get tired of writing "regards G"." Every single fricken post? Not every post u make has to look like you were writing as if your like Tony Gallagher or something lol.

Do I get tired of writing "regards, G."? No, of course not.

It's merely an extra 25 (or so) key strokes. A couple of taps on the "Enter" key, hold down the space bar (pro tip there: just hold the bar down, don't tap it for each space you wish to move the cursor), and so on. :)

regards,

G.

Do I get tired of writing "regards, G."? No, of course not.

It's merely an extra 25 (or so) key strokes. A couple of taps on the "Enter" key, hold down the space bar (pro tip there: just hold the bar down, don't tap it for each space you wish to move the cursor), and so on. :)

regards,

G.

As long as your consistent keep it up lol :)

I was just razzin you a bit, all in fun

It doesn't make sense financially or ethically to tank for a few seasons, as the OP is eluding to.

There is no one way to win a cup, and just because a vocal minority are spouting off, and just because some others "promise" to keep paying attention while we suck, ownership is running a business and has to act accordingly. This isn't EA sports.

Perpetual face palm with this fan base, good grief.

Archived