The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Firing Rick Bowness was the biggest mistake this organization made

I gave McDonagh the slight edge, because of turnover (Hedman: 66, McDonagh: 60) and block shots (Hedman: 110, McDonagh: 139). Maybe I should've left out the "equally" part and instead have said "as good as the other".

equal and as good as are synonymous.

and as far as blocked shots go, didn't you say hedman played 20 fewer games?

Dude how many of those guys are top 2 guys, rangers had a stacked line up on defence.

Haha, your team only has 1 set of top two guys. Your question is redundant, as is this thread. You think firing Bowness was worse than trading Neely? Not drafting Kopitar, Lidstrom etc...

what has bowness ever won, being such a winner?

and jesus, hockey iq is the new buzzword, like gutless was awhile back.

hockey iq refers exclusively to a player's on ice vision and decision-making, not to the ability of fans to analyze or prognosticate. stop using it that way. it's really stupid.

Hockey iq refers to anybodies iq in regards to hockey. It's not a buzzword. When I was a kid we called it hockey smarts but essentially it's the same thing.

Hockey iq refers to anybodies iq in regards to hockey. It's not a buzzword. When I was a kid we called it hockey smarts but essentially it's the same thing.

no, it doesn't. it's a player attribute like size, speed, or skill. hockey iq means the ability for a player to know where to be on the ice, what play to make, etc.

BanTSN, on 29 May 2015 - 8:21 PM, said:snapback.png

Wasn't he there when they were swept in round one last season?

We weren't in the playoffs last season

Canucks were swept in the first round by L.A. in 2013 while AV and his staff including Bowness were still with the Canucks.

no, it doesn't. it's a player attribute like size, speed, or skill. hockey iq means the ability for a player to know where to be on the ice, what play to make, etc.

That is one definition yes but it applies to more than just that. I'm sorry this is a stupid hill to plant your flag on, especially when you're wrong.

I'm amazed at most of you calling Tampa's defence elite. lol wow guys wait till they play a real Western team with actaul skill they will simply become exploited.

So far they have faced

Detroit - well? how elite are they still in the transiition period.

Montreal - Dale Wiese got this team to the 2nd round, how much offensive power do they have?

And Rangers- well again, Rangers showed flashes of brilliance when they dominated the defence of Tampa Bay by scoring more then 5 goals numerous times.

Wait till this Tampa team plays a real team with skill, you will see just how elite they are. I stick to my statement, Bowness was a mistake to let go and Tampa's got an average defensive core, which has not been tested in the playoffs.

I read this yesterday and laughed and laughed and laughed .. still laughing!

Hedman's one guy, who is a stud. The rest are 3-6s, they don't have a solid 2nd guy. Compare their defence to the Ducks or Chicago's. Tampa Bay has a average defence compared to real elite teams.

As a Bolts fan, you are dumb. Hedman is a number 1 on any team, Stralman has been as good for Tampa this year and the Rangers last year as almost any number 2 d-man and Carle is a fantastic number 3. Nesterov is a rookie and is having a breakout playoffs.

Then you have some great depth with Garrison, Coburn, Sustr.

You also aren't giving credit where it's due, Tampa's offense is just plain better than any team in the NHL.

This guys a winner, he took a average Tampa defence to the finals. Also, he took a average defence on the Canucks' who were without Hamuis to game 7. He is a under-rated defensive coach, just look at the numbers of the defence when he was here. Furthermore, he knew how to put on the right guys in the right situations.

- Bieksa was actaully decent when he was here

- Tanev came to the scene during the Finals and played great

- Corrado was showing potential against the sharks

In short, he knew how and when to put the right pairings on, something we saw this year was lacking. After this organization fired him, it's never been the same on defence. Go win that cup Rick you deserve it.

Think before you post desi.

Archived