The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I'm excited for the future.

kill_the_avs2

The guys coming up are not franchise-saving players

They aren't Toews/Kane/Crosby/Stamkos/Tavares types that can completely change a franchise

They are going to be good, but this team is going to suck for a long time once the Sedins and co. retire

So with the $14 million the Canucks save on the Sedins alone you don't think they will sign a big name UFA or 2?

So with the $14 million the Canucks save on the Sedins alone you don't think they will sign a big name UFA or 2?

Unfortunately, those don't really exist anymore. This year's biggest UFA names are Devan Dubnyk, Cody Franson and Justin Williams. Last year, the biggest name was Paul Statsny and he had less than 50 points on his new team.

Unless we get lucky, we're going to go through a few lean years, I think.

I've been a diehard fan since '88. I've seen bad teams, good teams and downright great teams in that time. My observation is, what endeared the Canucks to this city was the blue collar work ethic, never say die attitude and an engine that never quits as was displayed by the team from 1988 through 1995.

That was 7 solid years of great hockey.

Messier came to town and basically destroyed that mantra over night, and ever since we've been a soft, skilled and finesse team ever since, from 2000 to now, basically a decade and a half which is more than twice the amount of time that we've seen what Canuck hockey is really about.

The problem is, that those two eras (the Naslund era, and the Sedin era) one or two players dictated how the rest of the roster should play as it set the precedent for the team style.

When Smyl, Babych, Lumme, Linden, Bure etc played, the team all played the same way.. gritty, hard nosed and relentless. The past 15 years have shown many players attempting to play in a style conducive to a successful puck possession style, which many cannot sustain.

With the current crop of prospects on the way up, almost every single one of them have unparalleled compete levels, never say die attitudes and relentless style of play.

For me, the future cannot arrive soon enough.

Bring on the youth movement.

Vancouver and it's paying fan base are no longer blue collar.....interesting the team has followed with it.

I believe the Canucks forward prospect pool is deep and I am excited to seem them play. However, the issue is if Willie will let them get into the lineup. Kassian and Horvat were given very few minutes at the start while a guy like Vey was getting first power play minutes from the start of camp.

This has been the problem with the Canucks for years, is that they fail to let the young guys make an impact right away. Not since Bure, and now Horvat, have we seen a rookie make a huge impact. Let them in and learn from mistakes while we have the veteran core here. IMO the 3rd and 4th lines should be all young guys. You seen once Kassian was given first line minutes the impact he had, and Horvats line was often the best line for most of the season. LET THE YOUNG GUYS PLAY WILLIE! We still have a veteran core, its not like Edmonton where the youngsters have all the pressure. At the very least, Virtanen, Cassels, Baerstchi, Shinkaruk and should see plenty of time in the bigs.

Agreed, if Willie had his way, Horvat would have been back in jr last season... I'm not sold on WD at all, the playoffs was one of the worst coaching performances I've ever seen.

How, on Earth, do you know?

And teams shouldn't need "franchise saving" anything...you're looking for a Superman in a team game. That's a bad focus because it puts all the eggs in one or two baskets. The Oilers had some that were touted as "those" types of players...where did it get them? So it proves that there isn't a magic hero solution...that coaching, work ethic, mentoring, etc. all come into play.

Tell me this...who better to mentor young players than the Sedins? Not many.

What are you even doing here with an attitude like that? Honestly.

And yes, Utica? How about Cole Cassels?....heard his name lately? These are solid prospects and no one, including you, has any idea how they'll fare in the NHL.

This is where you lose any chance of credibility. Because no one knows what the future holds, including you oh mighty one.

So, in one breath, you've said Stamkos is franchise saving. In the next, his team won't be winning. See how that works? One golden player does not guarantee success. Thanks for making my point.

Thank you for calling him out.

We have guys coming. But not one impact defender. We can only do so much.

Thats one of the most worrisome things IMO. We have potential core forwards and tenders now, but we have a very shallow, unpromising defense prospect pool. Which sucks because its easily our worst position, and good prospects could slot right in and start learning and developing right now, if we had some.

oh look another resident CDC mod ass-kisser :towel:

Yeah cause just cause he agrees with her point it means he's kissing her ass. Pretty weak rationalization of some true points they both brought up.

Agreed, if Willie had his way, Horvat would have been back in jr last season... I'm not sold on WD at all, the playoffs was one of the worst coaching performances I've ever seen.

Yes, I also remember that game early in the season versus the Rangers, Nucks were throttled (I think 3-0 before I even had a sip of brew lmao). The d kept pinching and Willie failed to make adjustments, and after the game A.V. said he saw something he could exploit lol.

Willie is a great people person, and knows how to let the veterans keep the team together. His biggest weakness however, is strategy. This rangers game early on made me realize that if he is faced with a tactician style coach, he doesnt know how to adjust. We then saw this in the flames series where he wouldnt take advantage of the Sedins versus the flames scrubs until it was too late. Perhaps we need better assistant coaches who can come up with better gameplans.

The powerplay was another horrible example of strategy gone wrong. Like seriously, Hamuis on the Powerplay???? He has no shot! That 2nd unit was a disgrace, way way way too loyal to higgins and bonino who are not offensive threats. Mattias or Horvat, even Kassian should have been given more opportunities. Get an assistant coach who is willing to give everyone a chance on the PP, and see who can produce, not this loyalist crap which ruins the competitiveness of the team.

I believe the Canucks forward prospect pool is deep and I am excited to seem them play. However, the issue is if Willie will let them get into the lineup. Kassian and Horvat were given very few minutes at the start while a guy like Vey was getting first power play minutes from the start of camp.

This has been the problem with the Canucks for years, is that they fail to let the young guys make an impact right away. Not since Bure, and now Horvat, have we seen a rookie make a huge impact. Let them in and learn from mistakes while we have the veteran core here. IMO the 3rd and 4th lines should be all young guys. You seen once Kassian was given first line minutes the impact he had, and Horvats line was often the best line for most of the season. LET THE YOUNG GUYS PLAY WILLIE! We still have a veteran core, its not like Edmonton where the youngsters have all the pressure. At the very least, Virtanen, Cassels, Baerstchi, Shinkaruk and should see plenty of time in the bigs.

How can they be "deep" when we struggle to score goals? Seriously. Deep implies multi talented to me.

I am happy that we have a core of maybe 5 really promising players on their way up but by no means can any of them be described as goal scorers. Look how the Comets struggle to score. In fact most teams struggle to score in the AHL.

We were lucky to get Vrbata but he is close to the end of his career and he has a history which is almost the exception to the rule regarding goal scorers having been drafted "212th"

Yes, I also remember that game early in the season versus the Rangers, Nucks were throttled (I think 3-0 before I even had a sip of brew lmao). The d kept pinching and Willie failed to make adjustments, and after the game A.V. said he saw something he could exploit lol.

Willie is a great people person, and knows how to let the veterans keep the team together. His biggest weakness however, is strategy. This rangers game early on made me realize that if he is faced with a tactician style coach, he doesnt know how to adjust. We then saw this in the flames series where he wouldnt take advantage of the Sedins versus the flames scrubs until it was too late. Perhaps we need better assistant coaches who can come up with better gameplans.

The powerplay was another horrible example of strategy gone wrong. Like seriously, Hamuis on the Powerplay???? He has no shot! That 2nd unit was a disgrace, way way way too loyal to higgins and bonino who are not offensive threats. Mattias or Horvat, even Kassian should have been given more opportunities. Get an assistant coach who is willing to give everyone a chance on the PP, and see who can produce, not this loyalist crap which ruins the competitiveness of the team.

Yeah, it's not like he had to resurrect a corpse of a team after Tortorella or fought horrendous injuries including the loss at one stage of 2 of their best defenders and their No 1 goalie. Or even fit a batch of new players in along the way.

Every rookie coach must DREAM of being lucky enough to have such a first season

And yet he made it to the playoffs coming second in the West.

Wait! I thought that had been deemed impossible before the season started. Oh well maybe all the injuries HELPED us.

I too am excited for our future. Lineup in 4 years:

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Higgins Bonino Virtanen

Shinkaruk Horvat Hansen

Kenins Vey Dorsett

Edler Tanev

Hamhuis Corrado

Sbisa Clendenning

Markstrom

Cannata

As great at Toews and Kane are. The backbone of Chicago's defence is a player drafted in the 2nd round, and a player drafted 14th overall in the first round. They also have Hjalmarsson who was drafted in the 4th round.

Shea Weber was drafted in the second round, as was PK Subban.

You can find All-Star Defensemen outside the Top 10. You just have to know what your looking for.

+1

Who are you going to replace the Sedins with? No one of that caliber makes it to free agency anymore. If you're not drafting or grooming star players, and your current star players retire, you're kinda screwed ...

With so many of the back driven contracts in place for long term deal. Teams are likely going to be losing some good talent. Canucks 3 year plan could be Lucic in 16. Offer sheet to johansen 17. E.Kane in 18.

Canucks have over 40 million in cap clearing up over the next three years.

Archived