The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Multiple Offers-Lack gaining Lots of Interest * with Source *

I liked your thought about reviving CoHo's value and then flipping him in a year. My problem with CoHo and most of the Buffalo team last (at least while I was viewing) year was their avoiding the physical play. The word seem to be out that playing the body

would set the Sabres back on their heels.

My preference is that Van has size down the middle. Horvat is a great start. McCann not bad. Cassels on the light side but probably adds some weight over the next couple of years. Guance has serious size if they ever decide to move him back to C.

Buffalo has lots of CAP space so my outside hope is that they deal Miller back to Buffalo. He would give them a solid stopper for a couple of years. All aside if Benning can get a 1st rounder for Lack then maybe a gamble on Markstrom is worth it.

Miller back to Buffalo, now there's an idea.

Offseason goaltending acquisitions rarely pan out as planned... But even if teams are interested in Talbot and Lack, it doesn't change the fact that any team that has either guy as a STARTING goalie will be among the worst in the league in said position. Think about it. These aren't hidden all stars like Cory. These are backup goalies that teams want to overpay for. We're in the drivers seat trying to boost the value of a guy that shouldn't even have any value at all. Lack is more likely to be the next Lindback than he is the next Schneider... Take the 31st and run. Or sell Miller back to his faithful fans in Buffalo. Our fans love Lack even if he'll technically be the worst starting goalie in the entire NHL. What's the harm?

Go back to the trade deadline I know lots of attention was given to lack and now even more as lots of teams need a dependable goalie,so I think Lack is gone and might have already been traded waiting till draft day!

Yeah, but like... how would that really work? I mean, sure, I can see Beetle *wanting* the hold off on news to manufacture as much draft day broadcast excitement as possible, but how many teams would end up having to be in the know of such a trade (in order not to be at an unfair advantage, not knowing they should be squaring up alternative plans, etc.), and how many people on each of those teams would have to keep mum, and how likely is that it wouldn't leak - backfiring on all involved?

Anyway, I hope we da fans are not being played that way for the broadcast dollar enhancement factor.

WOW it has happened many times in the past and is easier then you think to keep things for players as many times they hear about them from others or the news!2 GM's make a deal,tell bettman,get approved,3 people know and say nothing!

My personal choice would be to trade both Lack and Markstrom and sign a cheap backup goalie. If Miller is really the guy, than get a goalie who will come in and play 15 games. There are decent backups headed to free agency

Markstrom has elite upside. Can't say that about 95% of all back up goalies. He's staying. He deserves a proper chance to make something of his talents , and backing up Miller is literally the perfect way for him to do that.

Not most reliable news breaker but with the talk of Lack to Buffalo, it appears it'll be:

NHLSourcesSay @NHLSourcesSay 44m44 minutes ago

#Sabres look like they will land #Canucks Eddie Lack, VAN wants 31st overall pick in return, talks on going. #NHL #NHLDraft #NSS

Lack for 31st. Best we'll get. Likely Miller had no suitors, and Markstrom isn't proven (no takers).

JB messed up signing Miller - the contract was an albatross.

Wow!

Baertschi for Hodgson, get 'er done.

:ph34r:

This draft may be a strong one, however I am not sure why so many folks seem so SURE that a 31rst over all pick will be better then having a Lack on this team?

Its not, but this is the hand we've been dealt and it IS a good return for Lack, given the circumstances and current market.

This draft may be a strong one, however I am not sure why so many folks seem so SURE that a 31rst over all pick will be better then having a Lack on this team?

The difference is losing Markstrom to waivers?

He was eleigible last year. Even myself, a Lack supporter, is happier for the Canucks to get essentially a first. And Utica's season to have played out as it did. As compare to the loss we could have suffered just letting him go last year...

Markstrom has elite upside. Can't say that about 95% of all back up goalies. He's staying. He deserves a proper chance to make something of his talents , and backing up Miller is literally the perfect way for him to do that.

Jeff Frazee, Al Montoya, Pascal LeClaire all had elite upside, but none of them really panned out. Are you willing to take that risk, when Miller's contract expires, and Markstrom doesn't reach his potential?

31st for the future franchise goalie ... doesn't sound that good.

Franchise goalie? XD

i LOVE Lack, I want him to stay.

But c'mon... 28yr old goalie who's never been a starter.

He's not a "franchise goalie." Could he be a solid top20 starter? Absolutely.

31st for an almost completely unproven asset, at 28 with 1yr before UFA is a great return. Anything more is day dreaming.

I heard Kevin Woodley on TSN 1040 yesterday and he made great points on Eddie Lack. Here's the link to it: http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040-i-1410/woodley-would-still-be-surprised-if-lack-is-moved-1.316257

Benning might as well get the 31st and the 51st for him, that price would be right. Lack is going in the right direction and would be a great starter for Buffalo.

I heard Kevin Woodley on TSN 1040 yesterday and he made great points on Eddie Lack. Here's the link to it: http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040-i-1410/woodley-would-still-be-surprised-if-lack-is-moved-1.316257

Benning might as well get the 31st and the 51st for him, that price would be right. Lack is going in the right direction and would be a great starter for Buffalo.

I disgree with a majority of things Woodley says. But the hard work can make you a franchies goalie thing made me LOL. You CAN'T work your way to become an Elite/Franchise player you either have it or you don't. Lack doesn't have it, Schneider did have it

Archived