The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Multiple Offers-Lack gaining Lots of Interest * with Source *

I know everyone is keying on the Buffalo rumor; but who are the other teams rumored to be interested?

SJ has definitely called - it's been reported as such. I wouldn't be surprised if Edmonton, Columbus, Dallas, Arizona, or the Flyers have called.

I'm curious - what would you consider to be a mild KHL threat? You see, I'm trying to gauge your threat spectrum where an unsubstantiated blogger's theory equates to being a "severe threat". What if that rumour was substantiated (and, say, the GM himself hadn't just said that neither the kid or his agent has ever conveyed such a thing to him), would that be a "severely severe threat"? Of course I'm only curious and only teasing.

As for being coddled, well ain't that the truth of most prospects and rookies, for sure. And of course, it stands to reason that pro hockey players expect to be paid.

I would consider Yakupov a mild KHL threat.

I haven't read any blogs on Grigs. This is the situation as I see it. He's been a disappointment so far in the NHL and he, like all young russian players, has the KHL talking in his ear every day about coming back. In order for him to stay in the NHL, he'll need money to compete with a KHL offere and opportunity on his new team to perform. That which he doesn't deserve from any NHL team. So... Severe KHL threat.

When Fetisov said he wanted to keep all young russian players in russia, he wasn't kidding. Every year the NHL has to try hard to make sure their russian draftpicks get decent chances. Will some team have to pick him up to give him another chance? We will see. I don't see why that team cannot be Buffalo however. If they can't make the opportunity and money work with him, no team can.

Probably cause Sather is over valuing Talbot. Lack is the next best goalie available.

That being said, with The King getting up in age, Talbot on the bench ready to seamlessly jump in is far more valuable To them than a 2nd round pick.

The Rangers don't have a Markstrom.

And just to clarify, I AM totally serious about considering Hodgson back in Vancouver. Seriously unapologetic too. Not merely cuz the kid got a bum rap from media driven crap and I'd like to see him put his tools together to see what comes.

Please tell me you mean after Buffalo buys him out?

You're skipping the nuaaaannncesss here, lol.

Times-have-a-changed in Sabreland and there is no room for Hodgson in his natural center spot (see: Eichel & Reinhart & Grigensens & Larsson ;-)). Meaning the Sabres keeping him would only be to improve trade value for a flip next mid-season. So let the Canucks get that upside value instead, get it? He's a bonus to the package because by plugging him into an offensive role his trade value goes up while Horvat is being seasoned, then Canucks flip for the pick. Grigorenko is in the same boat, though for different reasons - again, a quality prospect with the right tools and a demonstrable long-standing desire to do whatever it takes to make the NHL is career (versus an unsubstantiated KHL rumour).

And if Buffalo were to take on Bieska & Burrows (or just one if Hodgson's cap were not to come pack), that $5 million in cap relief is what is added to the deal for Lack. Cap relief has value.

But yeah, Bieska & Burrows would have to waive and the likelihood of that is.... Well, I dunno. Maybe enough to make the idea moot, as you say.

There is no upside value. Anything he could contribute to the roster is well and truly overshadowed by his significant contract. No amount of showcasing would allow us to flip him for a pick this time around.

That and Grigorenko (with the KHL risk and poor play when he did get time) don't equal the cap gained value, especially considering if any of our vets do waive we could move them separately for picks/prospects.

Moving them in that kind of deal to Buffalo is well beyond moot.

Just to clarify, I don't think ANYONE is seriously considering bringing in Hodgson

But if taking back Hodgson facilitates our gaining an additional pick or 2...is it worth it?

Not when his deal has this year plus three more remaining on it. It'd have to be a pretty special pick (or two) and they aren't exactly going to offer up their 2nd overall to get rid of Hodgson.

baertschi or grigorenko has parental involvement issues? source please

baertschi or grigorenko has 'a total disconnect with 'current knowledge'? source please

Baertschi, on both fronts. As for source, Google is your friend. Really, easy to find articles with parental, player and coach direct quotes all included. The one I liked in particular was the kid's straight up shut down of what his father had added to the mix.

Not most reliable news breaker but with the talk of Lack to Buffalo, it appears it'll be:

NHLSourcesSay @NHLSourcesSay 44m44 minutes ago

#Sabres look like they will land #Canucks Eddie Lack, VAN wants 31st overall pick in return, talks on going. #NHL #NHLDraft #NSS

Lack for 31st. Best we'll get. Likely Miller had no suitors, and Markstrom isn't proven (no takers).

JB messed up signing Miller - the contract was an albatross.

If anybody's not seeing the truth "through their shades" of what's happening it's the people who actually believe the garbage about Miller being the best goalie option for the team. If it wasn't so sad it would be laughable.

THE ONLY REASON WE'RE MOVING LACK IS BECAUSE MILLER'S CONTRACT IS IMMOVABLE.

All the rest of the excuses are just lipstick on a pig.

You can't have it both ways. Either, the reason we're retaining him is because he's clearly better than Lack in net including being worth $6m/year and an amazing mentor. In which case he should be quite valuable and easily moved to another team.

Or...

His age, injury status, competent but not stellar goal tending, $6m anchor of a NTC saddled contract is immovable. Which clearly speaks to the value of it and why Lack would ideally be the better option to keep if we could (which we clearly can not).

Therein is your problem -- you've established a false dilemma.

Nobody is saying "Miller is clearly better than Lack"; it's not such a simplistic cut-and-dry one-dimensional issue. It's more than just looking at numbers, it's about solidifying the position and proper development of Markstrom. Miller is a veteran and stabilizing presence. We saw what Lack went through under Torts, and he struggled at times when the heat was on last year as well. The last thing Lack and Markstrom need is to be playing the buddy platoon system where it's a constant debate who should be the starter. We run with a proven #1 and develop a backup behind him.

Lack is getting close, but he is not a clear-cut proven reliable #1 RIGHT NOW, which is what the (any) team needs. At the very least, that is Benning's assessment, and he is still not comfortable going with Lack and Markstrom. Perhaps in a year, but that doesn't help at the present, and a move has to be made now.

We don't want to be in a position where Lack struggles and Markstrom is forced to come in and perform like happened last year. Jacob needs to be a backup padawan behind a proven solid #1.

Not most reliable news breaker but with the talk of Lack to Buffalo, it appears it'll be:

NHLSourcesSay ‏@NHLSourcesSay 44m44 minutes ago

#Sabres look like they will land #Canucks Eddie Lack, VAN wants 31st overall pick in return, talks on going. #NHL #NHLDraft #NSS

Lack for 31st. Best we'll get. Likely Miller had no suitors, and Markstrom isn't proven (no takers).

JB messed up signing Miller - the contract was an albatross.

it is a good return. in any other draft the 31st pick would easily be a 20-30 pick

Baertschi, on both fronts. As for source, Google is your friend. Really, easy to find articles with parental, player and coach direct quotes all included. The one I liked in particular was the kid's straight up shut down of what his father had added to the mix.

Baertschi for Hodgson, get 'er done.

Archived