The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] VAN Kevin Bieksa to ANA

Agreed. Lack > Talbot. Perhaps there is an east coast bias?

I think it's stats biased more than east coast bias in this case since cal/oilers are hot for talbot. His stats are really good and better than lack's but the rangers are also a lot better than the canucks. Finals last year and ecf this year.

Talk about living in the past. This mentality is why the Canucks have been mediocre for the last few years

A couple years ago yes, then the Canucks would be making a huge mistake. But now Bieksa is an aging declining player and can no longer provide the same impact he was able to a couple years ago. It's better for the team to give Corrado or Clendening a chance with the big club. Not to mention the cap savings.

Cap saving is THE ONLY benefit.

My opinion is a whole lot of our players would be coming back strong next season and Bieksa would be one of the strongest. Add to the fact he is a leader and frankly I don't understand moving him OTHER than for cap space.

I would rather see, Higgins, Burrows and Hansen moved for cap space. I would hate to lose the latter two but they are not leaders. It's ironic we feel able to oust one of our best players with a NTC and yet we are going to start next season with these 3.

I don't understand moving him OTHER than for cap space.

Asset management. He's leaving next summer regardless. You either get something for him and make space for young guys or you don't get anything and lose a young guy for peanuts.

Again, this is not about being better next year.

My opinion is a whole lot of our players would be coming back strong next season and Bieksa would be one of the strongest. Add to the fact he is a leader and frankly I don't understand moving him OTHER than for cap space.

I would rather see, Higgins, Burrows and Hansen moved for cap space. I would hate to lose the latter two but they are not leaders. It's ironic we feel able to oust one of our best players with a NTC and yet we are going to start next season with these 3.

One of our best players? There is literally not one stat to back up your statement since 2011.

Asset management. He's leaving next summer regardless. You either get something for him and make space for young guys or you don't get anything and lose a young guy for peanuts.

Again, this is not about being better next year.

Some people can't seem to wrap their heads around that.

We're not competing next year. There's absolutely no point keeping around veterans who are pending UFAs if we don't plan on re-signing them.

True.. but if adding KB3 gets us another 1st rounder (a top 10 at that), then you gotta do it. Give value to get value etc..

The thing about the 3 players you mentioned was that they won't be able to garner that in a trade.. you could maybe argue burrows - definitely not hansen or higgins.

I think you missed a benefit outside of the cap space gained.. Trading Bieksa also opens up a spot for one of our young dmen. It will be sad to see him go but business is business. He will always be a Canuck at heart.

So you start with our best vet?

Define "best". It doesn't matter who goes first, the point is that we need to get future assets for them while we can.

Hamhuis and Vrbata will also likely be traded at the deadline if we're not in a playoff position.

Define "best". It doesn't matter who goes first, the point is that we need to get future assets for them while we can.

Hamhuis and Vrbata will also likely be traded at the deadline if we're not in a playoff position.

True I can see us trading Hamhuis at the deadline as lots of teams will give up more then a 1st for him!

True I can see us trading Hamhuis at the deadline as lots of teams will give up more then a 1st for him!

Yeah, first and a prospect no problem. Same with Vrbata if he has another good season. We could really re-stock next year, 3 first rounders would be sick. But I think we will re-sign Hamhuis.

Archived