The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

I am not interpreting the look in eyes and being like Oh he doesn't want to be here. I have watched his Interviews I've seen what he said I've see how his body language has changed. Not only that but with his attitude where he is focusing on college and not being like I want to be in the NHL right now or as soon as possible it is concerning. I then have said more and more players are taking the college loophole route to become a free agent. Then you go and say oh hundreds of players have gone the college route blah blah blah; Yea and you know what more and more are deciding to stay in college and become highly sought after prospect UFA's.

He will hardly see the Canucks while he is in college he will see them basically each summer and then return to school.

There are some concerns to have the way things are and you are just like nope lets look at some meaningless stats you see here he's going to be david backes!

How many kids have used this 'loophole' in the past 10 years? Let's see how big of a 'trend' this actually is.

I hope The Sedins are still around by the time Brock makes the team fill time. Setting aside his goal scoring ability, I see a ton of character, humility, leadership and mental edge w. This guy.

Our Future Captains.

C- Horvat

A-Boesser

A- CasselsVirtanen

Sorry No. Virtanen won't wear a letter over Cassels. Cassels has a ton of leadership,was the Captain this year but he gave it up when OVER Ager Josh Brown came back. Not to mention he has been mentored by other great leaders like Boone Jenner and Scott Laughton plus his Dad wore a letter in the NHL, Cassels knows what it takes to lead.

Nothing against Virt

Edited by WestlockWarrior

I hope The Sedins are still around by the time Brock makes the team fill time. Setting aside his goal scoring ability, I see a ton of character, humility, leadership and mental edge w. This guy.

Our Future Captains.

C- Horvat

A-Boesser

A- Cassels

nah im predicting

C-hodgson

A-shroeder

A-grabner

By the way, here is the NBC version of his draft video for those who haven't seen it. I captured the video as I watched it on the NHL's video player so the quality isn't great. I'd recommend checking this one out if you haven't already because it is 1,000,000,000,000,000 times better than the one from Sportsnet. That... was an awful broadcast.

The video is set to "Unlisted" because I'm not sure how NBC will react to their video being up on YouTube publicly. Bell, Rogers, and the WHL have been okay with my videos so far, allowing them to stay up. Just going to play it safe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HXJBMK1Ou8

Thanks for that, sports net was garbage and I couldn't find it.

Too bad no duthie though, though he was at the World Cup

• Upvote 1

Not to scare anyone or anything, but I heard on the radio on draft day (TEAM 1040 i believe) that Mike Yeo went up to Boeser and congratulated him after being drafted. They have no connection other than Mike Yeo being the coach of the Minnesota Wild and Boeser being born in Minnesota. Perhaps Yeo is planting some seeds there?

By the way, here is the NBC version of his draft video for those who haven't seen it. I captured the video as I watched it on the NHL's video player so the quality isn't great. I'd recommend checking this one out if you haven't already because it is 1,000,000,000,000,000 times better than the one from Sportsnet. That... was an awful broadcast.

The video is set to "Unlisted" because I'm not sure how NBC will react to their video being up on YouTube publicly. Bell, Rogers, and the WHL have been okay with my videos so far, allowing them to stay up. Just going to play it safe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HXJBMK1Ou8

Thank you for this. You are right, NBC is better. I guess you know something has gone seriously wrong when Canadians start to prefer NBC when it comes to hockey coverage.

Our Future Captains.

C- Horvat

A-Boesser

A- Cassels

I think the Sedins will play till they are 40 barring malicious and intentional hit from an opponent (aka Duncan Keith elbow on Daniel). They are Lidstrom type player, just quietly go about their job and getting it done efficiently.

I think we will be contending again in 3 years.

Thank you for this. You are right, NBC is better. I guess you know something has gone seriously wrong when Canadians start to prefer NBC when it comes to hockey coverage.

I think the Sedins will play till they are 40 barring malicious and intentional hit from an opponent (aka Duncan Keith elbow on Daniel). They are Lidstrom type player, just quietly go about their job and getting it done efficiently.

I agree. TSN's crew on NBC is definitely the standard.

Sedins signed their last contract already. They wanted 5, mgmt wanted 3, so they settled on 4. I hope we win in 3 years, and send them off with a bang.

Wishful thinking IMHO. The game is changing and the Sedins will suffer for it. Just look at the speed and size of the young players coming up. My hope is that the Twins leave in 2 years for a CUP contender and Van gets something for them.

Ok so people have been asking for a list of USHL top scorers that doesn't just include successful NHLers. Below is a list that shows all USHLers who scored 1.0 PPG or more in their U18 season from 2003-2004 until 2014-15. Now keep in mind by filtering by U18 (which is how EliteProspects works) players who are draft eligible but born between Sep 16 and Dec 31 are omitted because they are considered 18 in their USHL season. For example, Kyle Connor this year (Dec 9 1996) is omitted because he was not U18 while Boeser (Feb 25 1997) is included because he is U18. It isn't perfect and I know it shortens the list however I felt it more important to remove 18+ players (most of whom were born Jan 1-Sep 15 and thus draft eligible the PREVIOUS year) to get a good sense of how common or rare it is to score at Boeser's level in their DRAFT YEAR (since the league has players from 16 to 20 years of age).

Here is the chart for all seasons, sorted by PPG. Boeser is the blue highlight, USNTDP players are in yellow. I noted them because they are typically the 'cream of the crop' of US developed players and so get somewhat of an advantage over other USHL teams and players (equipment, training, QoT).

6XxrsJG.png

Key takeaways:

- The USHL is a lower scoring league than CHL with far fewer players reaching or surpassing 1.0 PPG, at least at the U18 level.

- Even more rare is a player over 6 feet to be PPG+ at 18. A large number of top scorers seem to be under 6 feet and even smaller than CHL (several 5'7 or 5'6 players listed).

- As mentioned, the USNTDP dominates the list. This is in large part because they are, for the most part, the most talented kids in the US system. At the same time, they do get benefits in terms of training and development that other USHL teams cannot match. And most importantly, their QoT (Quality of Teammates) is undoubtedly higher than a typical USHL team, which should be considered when reading their numbers.

All in all, this shows how elite Boeser's production is for a) USHL b ) U18 player c) Non-USNTDP player. Again, if the filter allowed for 18 year olds in their draft year to be included, I am sure a number of kids would bump Boeser down the list however I tend to think this would be limited to a half dozen spots or so. Even if we assume Boeser would place 5-10 spots lower, he would still be ranked extremely high in terms of relative production.

So that what I think the stats can tell us about Boeser, namely that he has the 'potential' to be one of the better prospects to come out of the USHL in the last decade. Whether he actually achieves this or not will come down to his work ethic and how badly he wants it. I am sure Vancouver will afford him every opportunity to develop further and he is going to an excellent program at UND. The rest is yet to be written.

Edited by uselessstats

Not to scare anyone or anything, but I heard on the radio on draft day (TEAM 1040 i believe) that Mike Yeo went up to Boeser and congratulated him after being drafted. They have no connection other than Mike Yeo being the coach of the Minnesota Wild and Boeser being born in Minnesota. Perhaps Yeo is planting some seeds there?

Probably grasping for straws there but I can't say I would be surprised.