The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

This guy reminds me of a young Brett Hull! Could be a steal of a pick that fell to us.

He was ranked 9th to 14th by a number of TSN pundits (9th by Craig Button who also ranked McCann 9th).

He could indeed be a steal. Has a natural goal scorer's touch and instincts and is big. If he keeps developing, I could see him making the team straight out of University like Hutton did.

Edited by DIBdaQUIB

No but Hodgson, Schroeder, Jensen, and to some degree Gaunce have ranged from flat out busts to "meh". Horvat is Gillis' one strong first round pick, with the jury still out on Shinkaruk.

Certainly it is waaaaay to early to conclude Boeser was a "win" (even though I argued for him at our spot) but the bar hasn't been set terribly high by the previous regime. Ignoring Virtanen because Gillis never had a pick as high as 6, the early viewings of McCann (24) and Boeser (23) seem better than Gillis' run of early-mid 20's picks.

But it's still early so at this point it's just impressions really.

Yeah, you lost all credibility right there.

• Upvote 1

He was ranked 9th to 14th by a number of TSN pundits (9th by Craig Button who also ranked Hutton 9th).

He could indeed be a steal. Has a natural goal scorer's touch and instincts and is big. If he keeps developing, I could see him making the team straight out of University like Hutton did.

I don't understand the bolded. Hutton was highly touted?

Acting like Gillis couldnt draft is nuts, he had some misses as every GM in the history of the NHL has but hes brought in a number of good young players, Horvats not the only one by any stretch but hes the most obvious example.

I like McCann alot, Virtanen could really be a good player, and I really really like Brock Boeser alot I was glad we got him, but none of them have played a significant amount of pro hockey yet so lets slow the roll on proclaiming Benning a drafting god.

I like all our draft picks a lot. I just like the overall draft group of JB a lot more than MGs group.

nice quick release..

By Golly!!!! Brock's new nickname is Boomhower. .....King of the Hill.

Looks and mumble talks the same.

Can't wait to see this kid at WJC and develop

Man id tell you whut talkn 'bout dis here dang ol prospect sniping dem ol pucks like a dang ol Brett Hull man.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, you lost all credibility right there.

Ya? A late first who was drafted 3 years ago and still hasn't made this team as a bottom 6 forward is a killer draft pick?

Look, Gaunce was an ok pick for where he was taken but really nothing special either. Hasn't exceeded expectations which, at the time was for a 3rd line defensive centre, and he's tracking on course to be that. Not more, no less.

Not a bad pick, but like I said in my post more of a "meh" choice. Decent but limited. Prefer picks like McCann and Boeser where there is some top 6 upside.

Edited by uselessstats

my mistake. Meant to say McCann not Hutton.

If I remember that draft, didn't McCann drop because of character issues? I know he does not have any, but I thought I heard something at the draft. I'm sure posters here know better than I.

If I remember that draft, didn't McCann drop because of character issues? I know he does not have any, but I thought I heard something at the draft. I'm sure posters here know better than I.

Wasn't character issues. Was a few things, mostly related to production. Entered 2013-14 with a lot of expectations and scored 4 goals in his first game of the season. But never really put up the offensive totals that were expected of him, especially in the second half of the season. Also had a pretty poor U-18's before the draft which further hurt his rankings. I remember talking about him as a possible option for Vancouver around #10 or #11 back in January when we started our slide but by the draft he was not really on my radar anymore.

Wasn't character issues. Was a few things, mostly related to production. Entered 2013-14 with a lot of expectations and scored 4 goals in his first game of the season. But never really put up the offensive totals that were expected of him, especially in the second half of the season. Also had a pretty poor U-18's before the draft which further hurt his rankings. I remember talking about him as a possible option for Vancouver around #10 or #11 back in January when we started our slide but by the draft he was not really on my radar anymore.

Thanks, I knew there would be someone here who knew the why:) I'm so glad he dropped to us, because he's the steal of that draft. He's a heck of a good player.