The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

If I remember that draft, didn't McCann drop because of character issues? I know he does not have any, but I thought I heard something at the draft. I'm sure posters here know better than I.

Wasn't character issues. Was a few things, mostly related to production. Entered 2013-14 with a lot of expectations and scored 4 goals in his first game of the season. But never really put up the offensive totals that were expected of him, especially in the second half of the season. Also had a pretty poor U-18's before the draft which further hurt his rankings. I remember talking about him as a possible option for Vancouver around #10 or #11 back in January when we started our slide but by the draft he was not really on my radar anymore.

There weren't any character issues and it was mostly related to less than expected offensive totals like uselessstats said.

I also recall McCann saying he was working on his defensive side of the game more that season. He wanted to work on becoming a better 2 way player because he knew that's what's needed for the next level. He felt his offensive game was good so he took that season to be more defensively responsible. Hence the lower than expected points production and the drop in draft. Lucky for us.

Boeser is another sniper coming in. Looks like JB is targeting players that can really rip the puck.

I remember reading an article comparing players that came out of college. It basically said that most of the elite players that went that route averaged something like 4 shots a game. Which is challenging, especially in college hockey. 9 shots seems insane and obviously unsustainable, but if he could average 4 that would be a good sign.

There weren't any character issues and it was mostly related to less than expected offensive totals like uselessstats said.

I also recall McCann saying he was working on his defensive side of the game more that season. He wanted to work on becoming a better 2 way player because he knew that's what's needed for the next level. He felt his offensive game was good so he took that season to be more defensively responsible. Hence the lower than expected points production and the drop in draft. Lucky for us.

Boeser is another sniper coming in. Looks like JB is targeting players that can really rip the puck.

I am not 100% sure but I think McCann's situation was similar to Cassels. In his draft year, he was more relied on centering a defensive 3rd line for SSM. Due to that deployment and lack of offensive numbers, his ranking dropped a bit and was eventually picked up by us at no.24.

Nice recent article about Brock's play so far.

His shot is off the charts, Brett Hull-like, good,...and really happy to hear his all-around game (200ft) is prominently solid, as a freshman!

The only thing I worry about is him becoming homesick and pulling a Reilly (CBJ) and getting an agent to play hardball with the Canucks so he can sign with the Wild or something like that. It's the scary drawback of drafting US College players. Just hope the kid is one that respects the game enough to fully commit to the team that showed enough faith to make him a 1st rd pick.

Anyway, enjoy...

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/3861378-und-hockey-recruitment-brock-boeser

Nice recent article about Brock's play so far.

His shot is off the charts, Brett Hull-like, good,...and really happy to hear his all-around game (200ft) is prominently solid, as a freshman!

The only thing I worry about is him becoming homesick and pulling a Reilly (CBJ) and getting an agent to play hardball with the Canucks so he can sign with the Wild or something like that. It's the scary drawback of drafting US College players. Just hope the kid is one that respects the game enough to fully commit to the team that showed enough faith to make him a 1st rd pick.

Anyway, enjoy...

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/3861378-und-hockey-recruitment-brock-boeser

Worried about him getting homesick? Are there some things he has hinted at? That seems like something that we shouldn't be worrying about for a player.

Worried about him getting homesick? Are there some things he has hinted at? That seems like something that we shouldn't be worrying about for a player.

Here we go again, Hutton wasn't going to sign, Subban wasn't going to sign and now Boeser might not sign.

The 1040 guys saw him 3 hours after the draft with his family and he was still wearing his Canucks gear and his Twitter profile picture has him in a Canucks jersey.

Edited by Amish Rake Fighter
  • Upvote 3

More silliness about this guy leaving the Canucks for the Wild eh? I don't think that he will, because I think that he will make the Canucks roster before he finishes school and will look at making his money playing hockey while he's young.

The other reason I think it's tripe, is that the Wild picked 20th and didn't take Brock. The kid just comes off as too humble and loyal to pull a stunt like that.