The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

4 minutes ago, McHortanen said:

Safe to say we got a gem now? Seems boeser is carrying that line, not the other way around.. Atleast stat wise, i havent seen him actually play yet so I cant say for sure.

When you hit the milestones he's hit it's safe to say he is at the very least holding his own if not carrying his linemates.

32 minutes ago, AV's Coin said:

^ well maybe just demoted to head of scouting!

The only really head scratcher trade he has made was the Granlund one. 

Through trades hes got us:

Baertschi - top 6 is written all over this guy. Not bad for a 2nd.

Vey - though there isnt really a fit for him on the team with the other centers we have, Vey is a good young player with good potential (just not great). At the time we were desperate for young blood that could play for our team now. So the trade is critisized for Veys play, but those people who still complain obviously didnt watch him since his call up. Id honestly like to see us sign him to 2 years 1.2M and hope that him, Granlund, and Etem can get better than they already are. If we do decide to trade him, at worst I see us getting a 3rd back for him, but would be nice to get our 2nd back or package him with another player to get a better player/prospect.

Kesler trade - Bonino, Sbisa, McCann... Great return considering the situation Kesler put JB in.

Etem - all we lost was a player we were after giving up on years ago and a meaningless 6th round pick. A+ for this trade. Even if Etem doesnt pan out you have to give JB props for this.

Dorsett - a 3rd round pick turn into a guy who mentored Bo very well last year. He is a competitor and thats the kind of player we need for this rebuild. Even though the points arent there and he takes bad penalties, he has heart and determination to give it his all. thats the biggest reason he is here, not his points. Great trade.

Signings

Miller - questionable cap hit but it is UFA and you do overpay. Lack and Markstrom were both completely unproven and this needed to be done. It was him or Hiller. JB made the right choice IMO. Great guy to mentor Marky Mark.

Vrbata - great signing. 31 goals last year and he was arguably our best player last year until the playoffs. Unfortunatly fell victim to our major youth movement.

There are a few minor signings as well but they are depth guys so im not going to bother.

I dont understand what is so out of whack with JB when it comes to trading? To me it seems hes good at that too. The only thing he needs work on in his ability to negotiate cheaper contracts, but its hard without handing out the NMC/NTC. We were blessed with them at one point, Hamhuis @ 4.5M, Kesler @ 5M, Higgins @ 2.5M, Sedins @ 7M, Edler @ 5M. These were their contract in their prime years (2011). Without those NMC/NTCs you could add 1-3M to them contracts.

Sbisa and Dorsett will be gone when their contracts are up. Atleast Dorsett will, Sbisa is a solid defencman IMHO, just not a top 4. Yet.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, McHortanen said:

Virtanen, McCann, Demko, Tryamkin, and Boeser... How could anyone in the right mind want JB fired?

some people have said that we don't have any confirmed top six players. but Virtanen, McCann and Boeser seem like top six players to me. they're not at the moment. but they have top six talent and with their attitude and posture of learning and getting better. I think they'll be fine. if we get s top three pick. it's a no brainer to add to the mix of the top six quality of forwards. and then Benning drafts dman in the later rounds. this off season will be interesting for sure. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, McHortanen said:

The only really head scratcher trade he has made was the Granlund one. 

Through trades hes got us:

Baertschi - top 6 is written all over this guy. Not bad for a 2nd.

Vey - though there isnt really a fit for him on the team with the other centers we have, Vey is a good young player with good potential (just not great). At the time we were desperate for young blood that could play for our team now. So the trade is critisized for Veys play, but those people who still complain obviously didnt watch him since his call up. Id honestly like to see us sign him to 2 years 1.2M and hope that him, Granlund, and Etem can get better than they already are. If we do decide to trade him, at worst I see us getting a 3rd back for him, but would be nice to get our 2nd back or package him with another player to get a better player/prospect.

Kesler trade - Bonino, Sbisa, McCann... Great return considering the situation Kesler put JB in.

Etem - all we lost was a player we were after giving up on years ago and a meaningless 6th round pick. A+ for this trade. Even if Etem doesnt pan out you have to give JB props for this.

Dorsett - a 3rd round pick turn into a guy who mentored Bo very well last year. He is a competitor and thats the kind of player we need for this rebuild. Even though the points arent there and he takes bad penalties, he has heart and determination to give it his all. thats the biggest reason he is here, not his points. Great trade.

Signings

Miller - questionable cap hit but it is UFA and you do overpay. Lack and Markstrom were both completely unproven and this needed to be done. It was him or Hiller. JB made the right choice IMO. Great guy to mentor Marky Mark.

Vrbata - great signing. 31 goals last year and he was arguably our best player last year until the playoffs. Unfortunatly fell victim to our major youth movement.

There are a few minor signings as well but they are depth guys so im not going to bother.

I dont understand what is so out of whack with JB when it comes to trading? To me it seems hes good at that too. The only thing he needs work on in his ability to negotiate cheaper contracts, but its hard without handing out the NMC/NTC. We were blessed with them at one point, Hamhuis @ 4.5M, Kesler @ 5M, Higgins @ 2.5M, Sedins @ 7M, Edler @ 5M. These were their contract in their prime years (2011). Without those NMC/NTCs you could add 1-3M to them contracts.

Sbisa and Dorsett will be gone when their contracts are up. Atleast Dorsett will, Sbisa is a solid defencman IMHO, just not a top 4. Yet.

McHortanen. I actually agree with you and if you trust JB's talent analysis then it should make the Shinkaruk trade easier to swallow. Coach Green would seem to agree as well. I was never sure about Shink but what do I know. Time will tell.

JB is hording NHL caliber assets rather than lottery tickets aka draft picks or players in the minors. Some look to be good, some are borderline and some are already gone. I am sure they are hoping this will prevent us from being real bad for a long period of time and speed up the transition. Throw in a couple of high picks this year and next and boom.

I am hoping that he makes a bold move to get us some younger first line talent as well ie drouin, ryan-nugent hopkins etc. and/or tries to get two first round picks again this year ie moving hansen, tanev, edler plus etc.

I still think he should be in Utica next year. It would teach him to be tougher along the boards and how to beat professional goalies with that shot. Overall he his a pro game and generates offence by himself. His strength isn't going to be an issue at the next leve,l I also notice the when he has the puck at the blue line and players are surrounding him he dumps it deep, thats a good habit to have.