The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

11 minutes ago, nergish said:

Then I think you need to rewatch his highlight package from junior.

Some of the most elite hands in his age group.

Look how effective Sam Reinhart has been in Buff. Drouin could be that good for us.

If he was so Elite then wouldn't he have a highlight package in the NHL? Why would we go look at junior clips for someone who should have made an impact already?

As already stated potential is just that, potential. Until it is realized you have nothing proven on the ice. And Drouin has not proved anything at this point in his career and has trouble holding down a regular spot in the line-up with Tampa.

30 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

yeah. but some kids never grow up either. they just continue feeling like they're entitled to it all. I hope Drouin isn't like that. but you don't know. he hasn't demonstrated otherwise yet. he may have elite potential. but that's all that is at this point in time. potential. Virtanen has potential to be a very good player in the NHL. will he reach it? who knows. we can only hope. but again. it's just potential at this point in time. 

not sure if I would give up that much for Drouin. Edler, McCann AND a pick OR two? wow. that's a lot. personally. I wouldn't do it. especially if we have to throw in a pick. I like McCann. his attitude. and there's an edge to his game. I think he's a steal at where he was picked. probably should've gone higher. glad he's ours now. 

Edlers days here are almost over, if we get Matthews then McCann is much more affordable to package in a trade, the pick or 2 would be something like a 2nd, or a 3rd and 4th so:

TO TBL

Edler

McCann

2nd

TO VAN

Drouin

Or

TO TBL

Edler 

McCann

3rd 

4th

TO VAN

Drouin

Maybe just Edler and McCann would be enough, if not I wouldn't even hesitate over the pick or 2 to be thrown in. But no I wouldn't trade McCann for him unless we had Matthews to for sure be our #1C down the road.

21 minutes ago, nergish said:

Then I think you need to rewatch his highlight package from junior.

Some of the most elite hands in his age group.

Look how effective Sam Reinhart has been in Buff. Drouin could be that good for us.

You should look up andre loktionovs Jr highlight package. Or hodgsons.  Or Kassians.

I have a hard time understanding why so many people want to trade Edler. The Canucks have been brutal on the backend this season and its been compounded with the loss of Edler. The Canucks need to add to the blue line not subtract. You can't take all the vets away otherwise we will just see more of what has been dished up the last month.

We all say "it must suck to be an Oilers fan", now I'm hoping us Canucks fans aren't being ridiculed in the same way

I have said before that i think Drouin would be a fantastic addition to the team as i think he will be a great player and just needs a fresh start, its obvious that the situation in Tampa is untenable, but not at the expense that some are suggesting. Especially not Edler who provides the Canucks only real current offence from the blue line.

32 minutes ago, McHortanen said:

Edlers days here are almost over, if we get Matthews then McCann is much more affordable to package in a trade, the pick or 2 would be something like a 2nd, or a 3rd and 4th so:

TO TBL

Edler

McCann

2nd

TO VAN

Drouin

Or

TO TBL

Edler 

McCann

3rd 

4th

TO VAN

Drouin

Maybe just Edler and McCann would be enough, if not I wouldn't even hesitate over the pick or 2 to be thrown in. But no I wouldn't trade McCann for him unless we had Matthews to for sure be our #1C down the road.

HUGE over payment even without the picks. I'd be hard pressed to give them Edler or McCann alone right now.

4 minutes ago, canuckpuckluck15 said:

I have a hard time understanding why so many people want to trade Edler.

I'd move him in a heartbeat to get Hamonic or packaged for say Gudbranson/Petrovic. Moving him for futures and/or a forward though = dumb IMO.

38 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

You should look up andre loktionovs Jr highlight package. Or hodgsons.  Or Kassians.

You should look up Crosby's, or Hall's, or McDavid's, or McKinnon's, or Drouin's... Drouin has elite skill. I just hope Benning thinks better of him then you do. I highly doubt he will ever be traded again, especially not for this cheap.

Nevermind, was going to post something about how crazy it is that so many people are suggesting to trade Edler and McCann for Drouin....

Anyways, reading those quotes from Brock saying he has surprised himself and that he is starting to picture the type of ceiling he could have is so encouraging. If he can have an even better season next year at UND.. oh baby. 

Edited by DeltaSwede

8 minutes ago, DeltaSwede said:

Nevermind, was going to post something about how crazy it is that so many people are suggesting to trade Edler and McCann for Drouin....

Anyways, reading those quotes from Brock saying he has surprised himself and that he is starting to picture the type of ceiling he could have is so encouraging. If he can have an even better season next year at UND.. oh baby. 

Love Boeser.  And I agree on the Drouin trade.  Yzerman would insist on nothing less than Tanev and McCann. 

21 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Love Boeser.  And I agree on the Drouin trade.  Yzerman would insist on nothing less than Tanev and McCann. 

No Alf..... it's ridiculous to even suggest Tanev and McCann.

What is so enticing about Drouin other than him not being a Canuck? is it the questionable character or the inability to perform at the NHL level? 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, DeltaSwede said:

No Alf..... it's ridiculous to even suggest Tanev and McCann.

What is so enticing about Drouin other than him not being a Canuck? is it the questionable character or the inability to perform at the NHL level? 

Tried to rep you, but I'm out.  I get your take on this now.  Tanev and McCann to get another top ten pick? 

5 hours ago, McHortanen said:

TO TBL

Edler

McCann

2nd

TO VAN

Drouin

Or

TO TBL

Edler 

McCann

3rd 

4th

TO VAN

Drouin

Your nuts. Or else a lost decedent of house Mike Milbury. 

Back to Boeser. 

Excellent article about Boeser, the frozen four and some ofbennings thoughts. Benning will be watching the tourney in Tampa.  

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/canucks-top-prospect-brock-boeser-shining-north-dakota/

CANUCKS TOP PROSPECT BROCK BOESER SHINING WITH NORTH DAKOTA

Next week, Vancouver Canucks top prospect Brock Boeser and his University of North Dakota teammates will fly to Tampa Bay for the Frozen Four tournament. They’ll be looking to take home the school’s first national championship in 16 years. If their dominant performance this past weekend against the Michigan Wolverines is any indication, they’ll enter the Frozen Four as prohibitive favourites.

Michigan was the best offensive team in the country, boasting a roster peppered with top NHL prospects such as TJ Compher, Zach Werenski and Kyle Connor. Against North Dakota though, the Wolverines were outmatched – outshot three-to-one in the opening 20 minutes and nearly two-to-one overall.

To hear Boeser tell it, that game was North Dakota’s best 60 minutes this season. Considering UND has won more games than any other school in the NCAA, that’s saying something.

North Dakota’s stellar performance certainly caught the attention of Canucks GM Jim Benning.

“That North Dakota team, that first period, they were fast,” recapped Benning in a conversation with Sportsnet this week. “They seemed like they were all over the place.”

Though the school’s eighth national championship has proven elusive, North Dakota has been a mainstay at the Frozen Four for much of the past decade. Under former head coach Dave Hakstol, the school qualified for the Frozen Four seven times in 10 years. Along the way North Dakota churned out a dizzying number of NHL stars, including Jonathan Toews, Zach Parise, Travis Zajac, Brock Nelson and T.J. Oshie.

North Dakota is now seen, basically, as the New York Yankees of college hockey. The school is widely considered to provide players with as close to a professional hockey environment as anything you’ll find in college hockey.

“I think the biggest thing is that (North Dakota head coach) Brady Berry has coached and played in the NHL, Matt Shaw – our other assistant coach – has coached in the NHL, so we’re really just trying to mimic the things we learned playing and coaching at the highest level – the professionalism it takes on a day-to-day basis,” explained assistant coach Dane Jackson, who started his NHL career with the Canucks organization in the mid-90s.

The trappings of the professional environment and the expectations that come with it aren’t lost on North Dakota’s players.

“Playing here at North Dakota, not too many people really understand it out west, but the Ralph Engelstad Arena is one of the most beautiful rinks in North America,” said UND defender Troy Stecher. “When you play there you have the intimidation factor of all those fans behind you.”

Added Boeser: “The facilities, our locker room, our workout area – it’s all just that pro-type style here. It’s a great place to be.

“We have this level of excellence that we try to pursue. It’s an honour to be part of this tradition and we expect that excellence. It’s not pressure, it’s just a thing you want to do and that you have to do when you’re here.”

Though North Dakota’s depth powered them past Michigan, their dynamic first forward line will be crucial if they’re to emerge as national champions. It’s a trio that includes Boeser, who plays right wing along with Chicago Blackhawks first-round draft pick Nick Schmaltz and senior Drake Caggiula – who is likely to draw significant interest as an unrestricted free agent once North Dakota’s season is over.

“They all have really good vision and playmaking ability,” Jackson said of the ‘CBS line’. “They don’t play a ton of one-on-one hockey. They use each other well, they’re selfless, they share the puck extremely well and they all bring something a little bit different.

Count Benning among the many people in hockey who have been enormously impressed by what Boeser, Schmaltz and Caggiula have accomplished together.

“(Boeser) went in there as a freshman and you don’t know how these guys are going to adapt to the college game and the speed and the strength of the players, but the coaching staff did an excellent job with him this year,” Benning said.

“They played him with Cagguila and Schmaltz and they meshed as a line,” he continued. “They really compliment each other and they’re a fun line to watch play because they seem to be buzzing around all over the place and they get a lot of chances in the offensive zone. I think everything meshed for him perfect this year and I think that’s why we’re seeing him playing well, scoring and being a big part of a good team.”

Boeser, meanwhile, insists that playing with Caggiula and Schmaltz has helped him understand that he has to make plays more quickly at the NCAA level than he had to in the USHL.

“They took me under their wing once we started playing together,” Boeser said. “We have great chemistry and feed off one another. It’s worked from the start. We never try and do things by ourselves, we talk on the bench and work together and try to have some success.”

The CBS line has had more than ‘some success’. Boeser will finish his freshman season among the top-five in the nation in goal scoring and total points. Playing with excellent players has helped him, but he appears to be the straw that’s stirred the drink.

“Boeser is one of those rare individual talents that he can generate scoring chances with whomever he’s playing with.” Benning said. “From the top of the circles down, his speed when combined with his instincts and the release on his shot is what makes him a good player.”

Like Boeser, Benning is set to fly to Tampa Bay next week to take in the Frozen Four. It’ll be his first opportunity to watch North Dakota play in-person this season.

Told about Detroit Tigers analyst Chris D. Long’s statistical model, which projects Boston College and North Dakota to meet in the final next weekend, Benning sounded giddy.

“Well that would be perfect for us,” he exclaimed, “because we’d have Brock Boeser on one side and (Boston College goaltender) Thatcher Demko on the other!”

It’s not the Stanley Cup playoffs, but the NCAA Frozen Four could well provide Canucks fans – not to mention Canucks executives – their best chance to enjoy some meaningful April hockey this year.

Edited by ABNucksfan
  • Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I bet Benning will be taking a long look at Stecher, Caggiula, and Johnson.

Stecher I can see us getting.

Caggiula last I heard had 22 teams interested. Honestly, I see him going to Chicago. Just because they have an excellent development system and a competitive team AND a roster spot. That's a jack pot as far as teams to play for.

With Johnson do you mean Luke Johnson?

When is this kid turning pro? One more year is enough I think if he has another good year.

Gallagher thinks NCAA div1 college hockey is a better league than Canadian juniors because of having to play against 20-25 year olds instead of just teenagers I'm juniors or the odd overager.

It makes some sense for guys like Tanev and Hutton who both made a pretty seamless transition from college to pro.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

When is this kid turning pro? One more year is enough I think if he has another good year.

Gallagher thinks NCAA div1 college hockey is a better league than Canadian juniors because of having to play against 20-25 year olds instead of just teenagers I'm juniors or the odd overager.

It makes some sense for guys like Tanev and Hutton who both made a pretty seamless transition from college to pro.

Either this year or next year. Some of the stuff I've read (quotes and such) it sounds like Boeser is inclined to sign after the season ends. But that is just me speculating.

Gallagher is correct in thinking the NCAA and particularly the NCHC is much better then the CHL. Much better to watch too. Especially the NCAA tournament, that was some great hockey. It reminded me of world junior hockey. The frozen 4 should be a treat.