The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

2 minutes ago, J.R. said:

No, of course not. They're completely different players. Let's not put words in people's mouths shall we.

Just a fun talking point and it does speak to his potential.

I was just playing man, deffinetly shows he has high potential to become a solid nhler.

The thing I'm stoked about with Boeser is all year at the age of 18 (he's 19 today) he's been playing against 20-26 year olds. Just look at where he is in the individual standings.  Last time I checked he was fourth.  Everyone ahead and behind him on the leader board is older than him, many as much as 6 years.

Edited by Pure961089
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Pure961089 said:

The thing I'm stoked about with Boeser is all year at the age of 18 (he's 19 today) he's been playing against 20-26 year olds. Just look at where he is in the individual standings.  Last time I checked he was fourth.  Everyone ahead and behind him on the leader board is older than him, many as much as 6 years.

I thought the max age for the NCAA was 24 ??

9 hours ago, Fred65 said:

I thought the max age for the NCAA was 24 ??

I didn't know so started looking online and found http://www.athleticscholarships.net/question/am-i-too-old-to-play-college-sports.

As Fred indicates the normal NCAA Division I or II limit would be 24 (high school plus one year before the time runs, then 5 years to complete 4 seasons.) However, there is an exception for hockey-the 5 years to complete 4 seasons rule starts at age 21.

"There is an age limit for NCAA Division I and II sports. The NCAA allows a one year grace period after high school graduation for DI and II schools. One year after your high school class graduates is when your eligibility will start to be affected in all sports except for hockey, skiing and tennis. The eligibility clock does not start for hockey players and skiers until after their 21st birthday. Tennis players start losing eligibility 6 months after they graduate high school.

The NCAA gives you 5 years to compete in 4 seasons athletically, with the fifth year being a red-shirt year. A red-shirt year gives athletes the opportunity to sit out a year of competition (for reasons such as injury or competition for playing time) and still be allowed to compete in all four years athletically.

The NAIA does not have an age restriction; however they do take away seasons of competition for any participation in sports at a comparable level of competition after September 1st of your high school graduation year.

NCAA Division III schools do not follow the same eligibility guidelines as Division I and II. Each school and conference determines eligibility standards at the DIII level."

Edited by tyhee

6 hours ago, WTG said:

I love how if he's not scoring goals, he's setting players up. So many quality feeds Boeser gave that the other players couldn't quite tuck it home. In the NHL, those are easy goals.

Boeser looks promising. I'll admit, when we drafted Boeser, I kind of wanted Noah Juulsen or Nick Merkley, but was okay with Boeser. Now, I'd have him over any of those. Proved a lot of heads wrong.

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, WTG said:

Thanks for this. Nice to see highlights that are aren't just goals.

His skating looks alright to me, but if it is lacking, just look at what a year has done for Bo. Also, I really like the patience he seems to show when handling the puck in tight spaces and looking to make a play.  

Now if we can get Schmaltz in any deal with the Hawks, our core would be looking good for the next 10 years.

12 minutes ago, MJDDawg said:

Thanks for this. Nice to see highlights that are aren't just goals.

His skating looks alright to me, but if it is lacking, just look at what a year has done for Bo. Also, I really like the patience he seems to show when handling the puck in tight spaces and looking to make a play.  

Now if we can get Schmaltz in any deal with the Hawks, our core would be looking good for the next 10 years.

There's something I can't put my finger on but I'm not that crazy about Schmaltz. Maybe because when I see the second effort of Boeser you gotta love that effort.