The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

8 hours ago, Salmonberries said:

Luckily for us he managed to avoid this train wreck for the year.

But I'm just a bit concerned that he still hasn't signed after drafted for more than a year. Most top prospects (Horvat, Juolevi, Demko) were all signed up within a year. I believe next summer is the deadline before he re-enters draft? Again, I hope I'm dead wrong about him... it was just a hunch that something is feeling a bit weird...   

Would the Canucks trade his rights for a 30-goal scorer???

10 minutes ago, ashlynnbrookefan said:

Horvat and Juolevi played junior and Boeser is in college, you can't be under contract while playing college but you can in junior. That's why those guys signed before him. He has until the end of next season before he can be a free agent so there's no need to worry quite yet. 

Isn't it the year after that? You are not eligible for UFA status until the summer 4 years after your draft. He was drafted in 2015 so he could go to free agency in 2019 I think. Really doesn't matter though as he will sign after UND's season ends.

Edited by Rick Blight
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Isn't it the year after that? You are not eligible for UFA status until the summer 4 years after your draft. He was drafted in 2015 so he could go to free agency in 2019 I think. Really doesn't matter though as he will sign after UND's season ends.

I assume he'll sign after the season as well. I could definitely be wrong about 3 years

6 minutes ago, DeltaSwede said:

Please, everybody, for the 284th time, ALL indications point to Boeser signing after this season. That's his plan and the Canucks plan for him as well. 99.999%.

College players that are drafted are UFA's after 4 years. Boeser will be signed after his 2nd year. 

He is too good. The POS that become UFA's are usually late bloomers. If anyone is going to go this route in our organization it would be more like a Lockwood. Boeser is just too good to play 4 years in NCAA. Why would you run the risk of blowing out a knee while playing for free? When you have a NHL spot sitting there waiting for you. His Phys Ed degree isn't that important either. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Virtanen#18 said:

But I'm just a bit concerned that he still hasn't signed after drafted for more than a year. Most top prospects (Horvat, Juolevi, Demko) were all signed up within a year. I believe next summer is the deadline before he re-enters draft? Again, I hope I'm dead wrong about him... it was just a hunch that something is feeling a bit weird...   

:picard:

• Upvote 1

Shhhhh, j'just dont worry. Brock and Jim talk. They good.

3 hours ago, Virtanen#18 said:

*sigh*

Horvat and Juolevi were top prospects signed quickly after their drafts, but Demko was most definitely not. Why, you ask? Because he was playing in college, where he couldn't sign a pro contract and retain the amateur status necessary to play in the NCAA. Boeser is also in the NCAA, so he hasn't signed a contract.

It really shouldn't be that hard to understand some of the basic points and help avoid stress over things that really aren't worrying in the slightest. When these things are discussed a lot here and should be even clearer, it still surprises me how people are in a panic about things they don't need to be. Do we really need a flashing neon sign at the top of every thread with the facts about the subject matter to clear this kind of thing up?

2 hours ago, ashlynnbrookefan said:

I assume he'll sign after the season as well. I could definitely be wrong about 3 years

You definitely are wrong. A college player has to complete all 4 years of their eligibility in the NCAA before they can look at the UFA route. Even then, they don't become UFAs on July 1st, but rather have to wait longer until mid-August to allow the team that drafted them a longer period to negotiate a contract.

Edited by elvis15
  • Upvote 2

Wtf do u care if u didn't like my questions/comments? I wasn't pushing for a Boeser trade but u gotta give up some to get some? Or just declare this season a write-off? 

Because your question and comment was either uninformed or unintelligent. And has been addressed by Brock, the team, and in this forum many times. But whatever follow your "hunch" 

Also he has 2 more full years before becoming a free agent, and wouldn't re enter the draft.

Edited by WonderTwinPowers
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, WonderTwinPowers said:

Because your question and comment was either uninformed or unintelligent. And have been addressed by Brock, the team, and in this forum many times. But whatever follow your "hunch" 

Also he has 2 more full years before becoming a free agent, and wouldn't re enter the draft.

OK that's fair! I just didn't know much about collegiate players...  no need to attack right?

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Virtanen#18 said:

That's only because he will lose his college eligibility if he signs. He has to his maintain amateur status. He made the right call by returning to college for the year, one and done doesn't usually prepare a player well enough. Just look at Kyle Connor struggle in Winnipeg right now..

Edited by Salmonberries

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

Okay then, how 'bout we trade Jake instead?

I wouldn't oppose it honestly if it helps our team get better!! You can't expect JB to make a meaningful trade without giving up something of decent value! I would target Brock Nelson of the Islanders... 

• Upvote 1

Sorry for only getting the end of the game, Leafs game got a bit rough and had to moderate.

I did include the whole power play, to show how Minnesota were just pilling on Boeser to make sure he couldn't shoot. Teams have started to get the number on Boeser but that's just another challenge he has to overcome.

Boeser played well.

Cheers

• Upvote 1