The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

4 hours ago, zombieksa said:

Man. I just looked up the 2015 draft and can't believe that Boston COULD have had a line of Connor-Barzal-Boeser.

I don't think any of Zboril, DeBrusk, or Senyshyn will come remotely close to making that draft not sting like hell for the fans...

Meh, can't dwell on shoulda woulda coulda's.

Debrusk had 43 points in 70 games as an undersized 21 year old (8 points in 12 playoff games) and both Zboril and Senyshyn are trending to be competent (if less spectacular) NHL'ers. That's FAR from 'stinging like hell'. They could have all been busts, THAT would sting.

As nice as electrifying stars are, if LGK is showing us anything this year, it's that solid depth can compete (and in many cases beat) 'stars' most nights. If Boston can keep replenishing their team with merely 'competent' players like those 3, from drafting, they'll be competitive for a long while.

Edited by aGENT

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Meh, can't dwell on shoulda woulda coulda's.

Debrusk had 43 points in 70 games as an undersized 21 year old (8 points in 12 playoff games) and both Zboril and Senyshyn are trending to be competent (if less spectacular) NHL'ers. That's FAR from 'stinging like hell'. They could have all been busts, THAT would sting.

As nice as electrifying stars are, if LGK is showing us anything this year, it's that solid depth can compete (and in many cases beat) 'stars' most nights. If Boston can keep replenishing their team with merely 'competent' players like those 3, from drafting, they'll be competitive for a long while.

I do agree with the sentiment that solid depth is important - even more so than one star player.

With that said it is not very often that a team to have 10% of the available first round picks in the same year, let alone having three picks all in a row allowing for management and the scouting team to pick their top three guys left of the entire draft without worry. Looking at that draft there are only three players players in the first round that have yet to play a game for their big club. Two of those selections are Boston's. Now that is not to say that they will not get a chance but with each year it will become less likely and with the star power coming out in Barzal, Aho, Boeser, etc. It has to be somewhat of a disappointment for the fan base.

Hindsight is 20/20 yes, and you can expect a team to make the occasional bad first round pick but I believe that years draft can be blamed on the changing management and scouting team that year. Any way you cut it 70 combined NHL games and 43 combined points is really unfortunate for a team that had three picks in the top 15, especially with many hockey pundits claiming the 2015 draft could be deepest since 2003.

• Cheers 1

On 17/04/2018 at 10:45 AM, Rob_Zepp said:

I hope everyone calling to sign Reaves realize that Vegas, a fast team but not a 'big' team, is playing a 'big' team in LA and hasn't dressed Reaves in any of their 3 games so far.   Vancouver is not Vegas but they are a heavier team (or close - with all changes on Canucks, not sure of new average) but LA often noted as being a team you need the "tougher" game brought to be successful and Vegas seems to be doing just fine by outskating them.    

Cough.  Kinda going off topic i  know...

I usually dont dig up old posts.  Vegas management and coaching knew that Winnipeg pushed Nashville around a bit.  What do they do? They insert Reaves.  Not an offensive juggernaut by any means...but it shows that intimidation and having a guy on your bench that can run over the other team like a line backer still has a place in the game.  I mean,what do Vegas management and coaches know anyway?  As a bonus he scores the winning goal in the series clinching game.

Now back to the topic: Brock Boeser.   I betcha just having Reaves sitting on the bench will *significantly* cut down any attempted stupidities and cheap shots the other team might take on the likes of Brock, Juolevi, and Pettersson.  I look at it as a deterrent...well worth overpaying a bit for in light of the cap space that is about to open up.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Darius71 said:

Cough.  Kinda going off topic i  know...

I usually dont dig up old posts.  Vegas management and coaching knew that Winnipeg pushed Nashville around a bit.  What do they do? They insert Reaves.  Not an offensive juggernaut by any means...but it shows that intimidation and having a guy on your bench that can run over the other team like a line backer still has a place in the game.  I mean,what do Vegas management and coaches know anyway?  As a bonus he scores the winning goal in the series clinching game.

Now back to the topic: Brock Boeser.   I betcha just having Reaves sitting on the bench will *significantly* cut down any attempted stupidities and cheap shots the other team might take on the likes of Brock, Juolevi, and Pettersson.  I look at it as a deterrent...well worth overpaying a bit for in light of the cap space that is about to open up.

Reaves came in due to Carrier having an upper body injury according to this article. https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/golden-knights-nhl/ryan-reaves-makes-presence-felt-in-playoff-debut-for-knights/

So it really didn't have so much to do with toughness as it did filling in an injury gap, and it was in San Jose and not Winnipeg.

Don't get me wrong, I don't doubt his toughness, but you need speed to go with that toughness as Rob pointed out and Vegas has just that.

Edited by The Lock
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Reaves came in due to Carrier having an upper body injury according to this article. https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/golden-knights-nhl/ryan-reaves-makes-presence-felt-in-playoff-debut-for-knights/

So it really didn't have so much to do with toughness as it did filling in an injury gap, and it was in San Jose and not Winnipeg.

Don't get me wrong, I don't doubt his toughness, but you need speed to go with that toughness as Rob pointed out and Vegas has just that.

Alright, I made a mistake and he did come in vs SJ, you are right.

My point stands though I think.  A guy like Reaves is relevant in the modern NHL.  He would be a valuable piece on the Canucks while they cycle in softer skilled forwards.

And I disagree that toughness had nothing to do with it.  If Reaves was just a warm body thrown in to fill in a gap, they could have thrown in a faster more talented Tatar into the lineup.  (Both Tatar and Carrier are LW)  According to this site, even Perron was healthy scratched while Reaves was in the lineup ( "Perron is expected to be a healthy scratch for Game 2", dated May 14th)

To me that indicates Gallant favoured the element of toughness Reaves brings to the table over the skill of others they could have dressed.

Edited by Darius71

4 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

My point stands though I think.  A guy like Reaves is relevant in the modern NHL.  He would be a valuable piece on the Canucks while they cycle in softer skilled forwards.

And I disagree that toughness had nothing to do with it.  If Reaves was just a warm body thrown in to fill in a gap, they could have thrown in a faster more talented Tatar into the lineup.  (Both Tatar and Carrier are LW)  According to this site, even Perron was healthy scratched while Reaves was in the lineup ( "Perron is expected to be a healthy scratch for Game 2, dated May 14th)

To me that indicates Gallant favoured the element of toughness Reaves brings to the table over the skill of others they could have dressed.

When did I say toughness has nothing to do with it? I said that he came in due to injury and not toughness but I never said it generally....

Don't discount speed though either. Winnipeg had just toughness for several years before this year and kept missing the playoffs. It was only when they had speed and scoring to go with that toughness that made them an actual good team.

Edited by The Lock

2 minutes ago, The Lock said:

When did I say toughness has nothing to do with it? I said that he came in due to injury and not toughness but I never said it generally....

Don't discount speed though either. Winnipeg had just toughness for several years before this year and kept missing the playoffs. It was only when they had speed and scoring to go with that toughness that made them an actual good team.

sorry, i thought you were implying that he was only put in the lineup to fill in a gap.

Anyhow, i dont disagree about the speed.  You need to have speed too, of course.  I think the Canucks will have enough speed to accommodate a guy like Reaves.  He brings some valuable assets that are sorely lacking right now.

• Upvote 1

On 2018-05-20 at 5:13 PM, Darius71 said:

And I disagree that toughness had nothing to do with it.  If Reaves was just a warm body thrown in to fill in a gap, they could have thrown in a faster more talented Tatar into the lineup.  (Both Tatar and Carrier are LW)  According to this site, even Perron was healthy scratched while Reaves was in the lineup ( "Perron is expected to be a healthy scratch for Game 2", dated May 14th)

I'd rather we target Roussel. Not as good of an all out fighter but better at actually playing hockey, giant PITA to play against and excellent Dors replacement IMO.

849664-antoine-roussel-livre-furieux-com

Reaves would he an awesome pickup, but there's going to have to be a trade to open up a spot on RW:

Pettersson - Horvat - Boeser

Baertschi - Gagner - Goldobin

Gaunce - Sutter - Eriksson

Leipsic - Gaudette - Virtanen

Granlund 

I'd probably move one of Granlund, Gaunce or Leipsic and then move Eriksson over to LW. Put Reaves with Sutter as a hardcore plug line and let Gaudette play with Virtanen as a young line. 

• Upvote 1

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 9:21 PM, Darius71 said:

sorry, i thought you were implying that he was only put in the lineup to fill in a gap.

Anyhow, i dont disagree about the speed.  You need to have speed too, of course.  I think the Canucks will have enough speed to accommodate a guy like Reaves.  He brings some valuable assets that are sorely lacking right now.

Agreed.

Anyways, about BB, anyone know if he started working out yet?

43 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Only 100%? As an average emotional Canucks fan, I demand that he be at least 110% ready for Canucks training camp. 

Edited by NHL'er
  • Haha 2