The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Grade Benning's work on draft day 1

Lui's Knob

The pressure to fire Benning will quickly build unless he unearths some trinkets tomorrow. I was hoping the Canucks would show some signs that they're interested in winning any time soon instead of maintaining mediocrity.

No go.

The only pressure to fire JB seems to be coming from you and Desi

The pressure to fire Benning will quickly build unless he unearths some trinkets tomorrow. I was hoping the Canucks would show some signs that they're interested in winning any time soon instead of maintaining mediocrity.

No go.

I'm emotionally detatching myself from the situation. I'm optimistic but haven't slept in 2 days so I'm not in my clear state of mind lol . Unfortunately I'll be passed out for early rounds of the draft. Looks promising though got a pretty good on prospect in a deep first round. Hope we can land a quality d prospect or 2.

D-

- Inaction

- Didn't draft the BPA

- Didn't draft positional need

- Didn't secure a goalie trade

- Alienated Bieksa (if he doesn't trade him)

Drafting Carlo (Bittner or someone way down) would have got him an F.

Just curious...according to you, who was the BPA?

Just curious...according to you, who was the BPA?[/quote

I was pretty happy Konecny was still on the board. Although ideally benning would have traded up to 16 with his buddy, took barzal, then found a way to get kylington or dunn tomorrow, or better both. But instead he did nothing and took boeser.

Incomplete grade. Took the BPA. IF GMJB can get into the second round (preferably early) then it's a great start. The reality is he really doesn't have much to work with. Capped out, no surplus of appealing prospects, and saddled with an old roster loaded with bad (no-trade) contracts. This management group can't be fairly evaluated for at least another year when some of these contracts start coming to an end.

I'll start. Failed to make his team better by trade or stockpiling top picks. Status quo is not what the team needs or what the fans want. Blew the SJ deal. Also still stuck with 3 goalies and likely now a disgruntled Bieksa. Also doesn't pick a local boy in Harkins

D-

Grades?

Thanks for the entertainment Knob, and for luring out the rest of the outspoken, uninformed complainers who talk through their hat endlessly around here.

Ironically, taking Harkins would have earned Benning.a poor grade You don't draft based upon whether a guy is local. You take who you consider the best player available. Your local guy isn't that with all due respect.

Apparently you spent the day buying that drivel SN was selling you, trying desperately to pair the Canucks up with Harkins.

Watch where Harkins goes, and then come back here and rate you own reactionary nonsense.

There was never a prospect of stockpiling 1st round picks in this draft - so the rest of your protest is also premature, and regardless, this is the NHL, where cutting deals doesn't quite work like it does in fantasy hockey.

The draft has just begun. You sound like the trade deadline ended at midnight eastern time.

Boeser was easily in a class of a handful of players that would be considered BPA left on the board at 23 when Benning picked.

Anyhow, time will tell - it'll be fun to bump this thread in the future and read the usual suspects doing what they do.

Maybe the Canucks had some reservations about a 5'9" winger in the Western Conference....who knows. But they opted for a kid who oozes character, has gone through some tough times are carried on, and is an elite goal scorer.

In addition, I'm not sure what the Canucks could have offered to match what was given up for the Barzal pick.

B+

Boeser is a very nice pick. It would have been nice to see a trade happen today because it would have been exciting, but there's still plenty of time for something to happen. Hopefully we acquire a 2nd/3rd and take a defender, but as far as today goes I'm happy. They didn't waste the 23rd pick on someone like Bittner or Carlo with a 2nd/3rd round skillset, and acquired another piece that we need.

As much as we do need defenders, I think having more prospects on the wing is important too. Kylington would have been interesting, but I don't think we're the right team to handle his development properly. Roy would have looked pretty good as a pick, but it's whatever.

It's kind of stupid to grade the first round though when all we did was pick one player. We'll see how the rest of the draft goes before any real grade can be assigned to Benning.

Say whatever u guys want, but i think Benning played it smart today. He could have traded Bieksa. he could have gotten Lucic. he could have dealt either Lack or Markstrom. Instead, he decided to not pull the trigger because he wants to find a deal that will benefit both sides of the table. They got a player with top 6 potential at 23. Bennings a scout, dont argue with his choice of players, because im sure he knows a thing or two more about the prospect more than we know at all. That all said, A to management. Even though they werent able to get a deal done, they didnt rush a deal to eventually find out they got ripped off. Tomorrows another day fellas.

Say whatever u guys want, but i think Benning played it smart today. He could have traded Bieksa. he could have gotten Lucic. he could have dealt either Lack or Markstrom. Instead, he decided to not pull the trigger because he wants to find a deal that will benefit both sides of the table. They got a player with top 6 potential at 23. Bennings a scout, dont argue with his choice of players, because im sure he knows a thing or two more about the prospect more than we know at all. That all said, A to management. Even though they werent able to get a deal done, they didnt rush a deal to eventually find out they got ripped off. Tomorrows another day fellas.

Well said. If the Canucks were to make a trade it would have been for 2nd or 3rd rounders, so why does it matter if that trade is made today or tomorrow?

Maybe the Canucks had some reservations about a 5'9" winger in the Western Conference....who knows. But they opted for a kid who oozes character, has gone through some tough times are carried on, and is an elite goal scorer.

In addition, I'm not sure what the Canucks could have offered to match what was given up for the Barzal pick.

Boston at 15 could have been had for something different I am sure, and who knows what chiarelli would do for his bud. We need a new top line in less than 3 years, Not sure we have that in mccann, horvat, baertschi, virtanen, Kass, Cassels. But Barzal has that upside and we needed to be ballsy like Garth snow and take advantage of opportunities to address it. Instead we took a forward with middle six upside who could decide he doesnt want to play in Vancouver in 3 years and become a UFA. We don't need slow middle six forwards with a good shot, we need top 3, top 2 upside players with speed.

Trader Jim wasn't so much of a Trader today and that was the most disappointing for me I guess.

tbh.. after the first 2 or 3 picks.. everyone else is your guess is just as good as mine.. look at how many later round picks that worked out for chicago ottawa tampa and so on?? i have no grade for the actual draft coz we won't know till later.. but as for the trade front.. prolly a D for sitting back and not getting much done yet.

Boston at 15 could have been had for something different I am sure, and who knows what chiarelli would do for his bud. We need a new top line in less than 3 years, Not sure we have that in mccann, horvat, baertschi, virtanen, Kass, Cassels. But Barzal has that upside and we needed to be ballsy like Garth snow and take advantage of opportunities to address it. Instead we took a forward with middle six upside who could decide he doesnt want to play in Vancouver in 3 years and become a UFA. We don't need slow middle six forwards with a good shot, we need top 3, top 2 upside players with speed.

Trader Jim wasn't so much of a Trader today and that was the most disappointing for me I guess.

The Canucks have Horvat, McCann, Cassels, and Gaunce as futures up the middle but are extremely thin on the wing with only Baertschi, Virtanen, and maybe Shinkaruk. Drafting Barzal adds to a position of relative strength while ignoring our glaring holes on wing and defence.

Lack // Bieksa trades... w/e we don't know what talks they had, how close or how terrible the deals were.

On the pick Button had him top 10 but I don't know will have to see honestly but he seems like a good pick.

The real only disappointing thing was how low Barzal went, 16th!!! I thought there could of been a deal for the 15th with Boston moving up just 8 draft points likely wouldn't be a huge cost.

Ah well I think next year is where JB puts the chips in play. For this year I give him a B // B-

Archived