The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lukas Jasek | RW

On 12/4/2020 at 11:12 AM, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Fireman Jasek is just dosing the opposition in the faceoff circle and the scoresheet.

Great skill for a guy whose likely path to the NHL is as a fourth liner. He is a very busy player, not running into you like Motte, but always on you when defending, and because he’s pretty fast for an AHL skater, with decent hands - with a bit of luck and a chance to play in the show - he is a maybe. Very sound defensively, and decent size at 6’1 185 (maybe a bit heavier now).

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

He was not given invitation to training camp.

A little surprising to be very honest. I would've given him more priority over the likes of Josh Teves, Mitch Eliot, or Will Lockwood, but the 36 man camp restriction plays into favor here. That has to be deflating and discouraging for Lukas.  

7 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:He was not given invitation to training camp.

A little surprising to be very honest. I would've given him more priority over the likes of Josh Teves, Mitch Eliot, or Will Lockwood, but the 36 man camp restriction plays into favor here. That has to be deflating and discouraging for Lukas.  

Jasek will be at camp.

He arrived later and has to quarantine for a bit longer.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 12/30/2020 at 4:46 PM, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

He was not given invitation to training camp.

Jasek can let it bother him or use it to motivate him moving forward.  

On 2/5/2021 at 5:46 PM, Ray_Cathode said:

Jasek with a nice assist on Gadjovich’s goal.

Good for our little fireman.

7 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Jasek can let it bother him or use it to motivate him moving forward.  

He was here.

• 2 weeks later...

Just saying, I could see him as Brandon Sutter's replacement next season, if not for the pandemic and border situation, he would've been an early call up option.

Again, he plays such a cerebral game that allows him to contribute offensively, but makes him an impact defensive game.  He is currently the 2nd leading point getter for Utica, its not surprising. From the 3 games I have watched this year, he has been a stand out every game.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Just to add to the above quote from Cull, that “consistency” aspect to Jasek’s game is huge, when it comes to his chances to catch on in an NHL bottom-six.

Bottom of the lineup players need to have that game in game out, shift to shift, consistency. Good role players, in limited minutes, need to always be ready for their opportunities, and able to show something, whenever they hit the ice. Jasek has that work ethic and drive, to make the most of his icetime, and bring the kind of complete game that coaches want from their bottom-six guys.

Of course, all the other stuff he’s doing this year is money in the bank, as far as getting noticed, and building a profile that gets him considered for callups and a future role. Like Cull notes, he’s become the Comets’ highest TOI forward, by virtue of being an all situations player, first unit PK, second unit PP, primary matchup centre, and the faceoff ace in Utica, while contributing nearly a point per game on the scorecard.

But it’s probably going to be that consistency of effort, his coach’s trust, versatility, and ability to make others better, that eventually earns Jasek his chance.

Nice to hear so many people saying he’s the Canucks’ most NHL ready centre prospect. That’s pretty amazing stuff for a converted centre, only three years out from being considered a natural winger. His transition hasn’t just been a success, but a triumph for both Jasek and the Comets staff. He’s remade himself into the top C in our system, and a guy who may very well get penciled in as our future Beagle replacement.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, HockeyHarry said:

I havent seen to much of Jaseks play.

but could there be a future Canucks PK unit of Jasek and Pod in your opinion. 

If Jasek takes the next step (which remains a big IF), then yes, I could see those two guys becoming an effective PK forward pair for the Canucks.

I think they would compliment each other quite well, as both bring a lot of dogged determination on puck recoveries. And Jasek has really worked on his faceoff efficiency, and defensive zone play, so he could become a main unit PK centre in the NHL one day.

Of course, he’ll need to beat out other guys, like Michaelis and Focht, have one of our veteran C’s vacate a spot, and hope that the organization doesn’t decide to fill that spot with another veteran free agent, but if we end up using a young, homegrown player as our future 4C, then Jasek has as good a chance as anyone in the system to be that player. And if he makes the Canucks, I’d expect he’d be used in a checking role and on the PK.

• Cheers 1