The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lukas Jasek | RW

On 12/12/2021 at 1:20 PM, Googlie said:

I'd be sorry to see JT traded (or not resigned).  He's the heart and soul of this team, its spiritual leader.  Sure, he makes the odd gaffe,  but then immediately buckles down,  gets on his horse and tries to rectify his mistakes.

But there is only room for a few high paid stars and that's where the ELCs of a Jasek, Karlsson, Lockwood, etc prove their value

100% on Miller. Players who don’t make mistakes aren’t trying hard enough. The test of a player is: after you make a mistake, then what? Miller answers that with: work harder. That’s what I always liked about Linden, as a player. True leaders, both.

10 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

100% on Miller. Players who don’t make mistakes aren’t trying hard enough. The test of a player is: after you make a mistake, then what? Miller answers that with: work harder. That’s what I always liked about Linden, as a player. True leaders, both.

I don't get it Miller being to old. He's 28 a 5 year contract would make him 33. We currently have 6 players 30 or older with long term contract. None of them playing at Miller ability. If we're saying he's too old it also means we have real doubts about the teams immediate future and better start looking for fresh meat

Edited by Fred65

3 hours ago, Fred65 said:

I don't get it Miller being to old. He's 28 a 5 year contract would make him 33. We currently have 6 players 30 or older with long term contract. None of them playing at Miller ability. If we're saying he's too old it also means we have real doubts about the teams immediate future and better start looking for fresh meat

I agree, there’s 28 and there’s 28. Miller plays a rugged game, but seems pretty robust. I love Motte’s try, focus, and willingness to battle, but Motte will be 27 in March, and the wear and tear on him is a lot more severe than on Miller.

4 hours ago, Fred65 said:

He'll be 30 when his current deal expires. A 5 year deal (he'd be likely looking at a 6+ years IMO) would take him to 35. At likely $8m +. A slowing down, mid-late 30's, retirement contract (AKA: anchor). Right in the meat of our young core's prime.

No thanks.

The only 30+ player we have with any meaningful term is OEL. The rest all expire in the next couple years. And most of which are under the waiver $ threshold.

But I wouldn't expect you to actually start being honest with your narratives ;) 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

18 hours ago, aGENT said:

But I wouldn't expect you to actually start being honest with your narratives ;) 

What in the heck s that supposed to mean ?

You may well disagree with my opinions, all well  and good. But To suggest dishonesty seems a little over the top

• Thanks 1

On 1/18/2022 at 1:23 PM, Fred65 said:

Miller has been great here, don't get me wrong, its not his age, its his next contract is the issue. Point a game centre (or more), his next contract is going to be massive, he can easily command 8 years X 8 million per. I think hes going to be UFA, not this summer but the next one, along with Horvat. Horvat is a fine player, but 50-60pt 2 way forwards, theres quite a bit of them, point a game 2-way centremen, thats a whole different story

Id love for them to keep Miller, if the team was in a different stage, like we are a cup contending team, a sure-fire playoff appearance, no doubt they might've worked something out. An 8 X 8 contract would just cripple the team long term. That was the cost of getting OEL. I knew when the deal happened, one of Horvat, Boeser, Petey, Miller, would most likely be gone in the near future.

• Like 2

On 12/12/2021 at 1:20 PM, Googlie said:

But there is only room for a few high paid stars and that's where the ELCs of a Jasek, Karlsson, Lockwood, etc prove their value

Speaking of Karlsson and Jasek. Ever noticed how similar those two are? Jasek is an (RW/C). Karlsson is a (C/RW) Jasek is in Liga. Karlsson's in the SHL. Jasek has 32 pts in 32 games. Karlsson has 27pts in 32. They're both 6'1". Jasek 172. Karlsson 179. Jasek 24. Karlsson 22. 

The only place they're really noticeably differ is Jasek has had some years in the AHL. Kind of shows you how far each is from the NHL though. Are they better than the 4 cheapy bottom 4 we've already got? Chiasson, Dowling, Lammikko and Highmore. Or could you get anything for any of those 4 that would make it worth your while to slip in a prospect or 2 to replace them?

I could see Lockwood for Motte maybe. But replacing JT with Jasek or Karlsson? Wouldn't you rather work a prospect with more potential into the Miller trade?

Edited by John_Guest

2 hours ago, John_Guest said:

I could see Lockwood for Motte maybe. But replacing JT with Jasek or Karlsson? Wouldn't you rather work a prospect with more potential into the Miller trade?

I don't see anyone suggesting Jasek or Karlsson would replace Miller. First, you don't 'replace' a guy like Miller. That's not what this is about.

Trading Miller and getting something back like the frequently suggested Schneider, Chytil and a first, shores up other areas, multiplies your assets, spreads cap around and gives you opportunity to possibly be better in the future. Guys like Jasek or Karlsson potentially making it to the bottom of the lineup, on cheap ELC/bridge deals, just allow you to retain more of your higher end core.

Edited by aGENT
  • Vintage 1

14 hours ago, aGENT said:

I don't see anyone suggesting Jasek or Karlsson would replace Miller. First, you don't 'replace' a guy like Miller. That's not what this is about.

Trading Miller and getting something back like the frequently suggested Schneider, Chytil and a first, shores up other areas, multiplies your assets, spreads cap around and gives you opportunity to possibly be better in the future. Guys like Jasek or Karlsson potentially making it to the bottom of the lineup, on cheap ELC/bridge deals, just allow you to retain more of your higher end core.

Exactly. So that leaves Jasek or Karlsson's only use as being replacements for guys like  Chiasson, Dowling, Lammikko and Highmore. But those guys are already just getting 700 to 750 grand and they're doing as well or better than any ELC in waiting we have. How big a saving would Jasek or Karlsson be? I'm not seeing those two as being much use unless the guys we already have as bottom 4 leave. It's not like the 2 prospects mentioned are noticeably better. That's what I was trying to say but I was trying to say it nicely.

The way it looks right now, unless something opens up somehow in the bottom 3 maybe we shouldn't be holding our breath waiting to see Jasek or Karlsson in a Canucks uniform. 

Edited by John_Guest

1 hour ago, John_Guest said:

Exactly. So that leaves Jasek or Karlsson's only use as being replacements for guys like  Chiasson, Dowling, Lammikko and Highmore. But those guys are already just getting 700 to 750 grand and they're doing as well or better than any ELC in waiting we have. How big a saving would Jasek or Karlsson be? I'm not seeing those two as being much use unless the guys we already have as bottom 4 leave. It's not like the 2 prospects mentioned are noticeably better. That's what I was trying to say but I was trying to say it nicely.

The way it looks right now, unless something opens up somehow in the bottom 3 maybe we shouldn't be holding our breath waiting to see Jasek or Karlsson in a Canucks uniform. 

Well no....like for example there's discussion of moving Motte as we don't want to possibly pay him $2m+ to extend him. THAT is the players, that cheap ELC's will replace. Guys who price themselves out of our bottom 6.

You need those support players to cycle through on cheap deals, not just stars (though those are nice too).

7 hours ago, aGENT said:

Well no....like for example there's discussion of moving Motte as we don't want to possibly pay him $2m+ to extend him. THAT is the players, that cheap ELC's will replace. Guys who price themselves out of our bottom 6.

You need those support players to cycle through on cheap deals, not just stars (though those are nice too).

Well yeah...but you still don't get what I'm saying. It won't be Jasek or Karlsson replacing Motte. It would be admittedly less so but the same problem as replacing Miller with Karlsson. There's a glaring quality difference. The circumstances in Vancouver at this moment are such that there's no skill or price advantage to slipping either of those two in to replace say Chiasson, Highmore, Bailey or Dries.

My point in comparing Jasek and Karlsson was Jasek couldn't make the cut and there's no reason to think that's changed so the same thing would go for Karlsson.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2022 at 7:08 AM, John_Guest said:

Are they better than the 4 cheapy bottom 4 we've already got?

Jasek would have certainly played games for the Vancouver Canucks this year if he stuck around.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, John_Guest said:

Well yeah...but you still don't get what I'm saying. It won't be Jasek or Karlsson replacing Motte. It would be admittedly less so but the same problem as replacing Miller with Karlsson. There's a glaring quality difference. The circumstances in Vancouver at this moment are such that there's no skill or price advantage to slipping either of those two in to replace say Chiasson, Highmore, Bailey or Dries.

My point in comparing Jasek and Karlsson was Jasek couldn't make the cut and there's no reason to think that's changed so the same thing would go for Karlsson.

Eventually you have to have some of these guys turn in to the next "Motte" (Lockwood?), Dickinson, Lammiko (due a raise as well soon) etc. At which point, they WILL be cheaper.

That's my point.

And frankly, you have no idea what Jasek or Karlsson may be capable of at this level, in due time. That's where depth players largely come from. Late blooming guys who just keep working at it, and refining their game. It may be Jasek/Karlsson, or it may be other players (Costmar, Focht, Kunz, Lockhart, Zhukenov etc). Time will tell.

10 hours ago, John_Guest said:

One has to wonder why he didn't then.

Because he felt slighted by not being given any opportunity LAST year and went to Europe instead. 

Hopefully new management can repair that relationship and bring him back to the fold.

5 hours ago, aGENT said:

Because he felt slighted by not being given any opportunity LAST year and went to Europe instead. 

Hopefully new management can repair that relationship and bring him back to the fold.

Let's hope the Pro scouts in EU are still following him and will recgnize his skills which seem, from over here, to be worth a signing

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...