The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lukas Jasek | RW

31 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Possible the bridge is burnt. Possible they don't think he has what it takes. Possible they sign him next week.

Be great if someone in our crack media stayed on top of these things though...

Bridge burnt is can be over come as it was JB

He was going very well in the AHL and now even better in Europe so if they think he's not worth a shot I would be concerned.

Yes, you'd think our media would ask about him given PA, JR both said they are looking at Europe to add free players. Would be silly not to be trying

• Cheers 1

Jasek signed a one year extension (back in April IIRC) with Pelicans (Liiga) for 2022-23.

Doesn’t mean he can’t still sign with the Canucks this year. The Finns are under the transfer agreement, so “out clauses” are basically automatically built into all their contracts.

But Jasek signing a Liiga extension this spring might be an indication of where the interest (or lack there of) is currently, as far as Canucks management bringing him back.

I also might take the one year deal as a sign that Jasek isn’t done with North America. Typically, two or three year deals are much more common, but he may be taking it year-by-year and looking to test the NHL waters again in 2023. If he was simply done with his NHL aspirations (and the Canucks), I’d have expected him to parley his 3rd place scoring finish into a rich (by Liiga standards) long term deal.

• Like 1

Jasek improved steadily in each of his three seasons and continued the trend in Finland. I think he is ready to compete for a 4th line role and would love to see him get a shot. Even if we sign him for 1 year $700k and if he doesn't work out just jets back to the Pelicans. 

On 6/8/2022 at 6:23 AM, canucklehead44 said:

Jasek improved steadily in each of his three seasons and continued the trend in Finland. I think he is ready to compete for a 4th line role and would love to see him get a shot. Even if we sign him for 1 year $700k and if he doesn't work out just jets back to the Pelicans. 

I'd offer him a 1 year show me deal at whatever the maximum is that we can bury in the AHL this year. 1.05 million or something like that.

Not all guys can make the jump from the lower leagues and be effective in the NHL, but we won't know until he tries.

I'd be happy to give him the chance and if it doesn't work, it's only a year, or the two sides could mutually agree to terminate.

16 hours ago, Petey Castiglione said:

He seems like the type of player Alvin would want to add back into the fold.  Anyone know is he has continued to play center?

Yup. He was the Pelicans (Finnish Liiga) #1 centre and leading scorer last season. Played the most minutes of any forward and took the most faceoffs on the team.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

14 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yup. He was the Pelicans (Finnish Liiga) #1 centre and leading scorer last season. Played the most minutes of any forward and took the most faceoffs on the team.

Maybe Allvin did approach him and he didn't like what he was offered

14 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Amazed nobody in our media has asked the question given management's comments on signing Euro's etc...

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Why is there so much talk about Jasek all of a sudden?

Did a deadline pass to sign him or something? We still have his rights don’t we?

I think the current transfer agreement has a June 15th deadline to sign players under contract in Europe.

Jasek signed a one year extension with his Liiga team earlier this year.

So if the Canucks want to make an offer, they need to do it this week.

But you’re right they hold NHL rights and can revisit next year and I believe until 2025.

EDIT: Just checked on the current IIHF transfer agreement (runs for four years). Under the terms, the deadline for signing free agents and players under contract (in Europe) is June 15th. The deadline for players under draft rights, who have not signed a previous NHL contract, is June 1st. And the deadline for current draft year players is July 15th, but can be extended to August 15, if teams pay a penalty. So for Jasek, it’s June 15th, like I’d said above.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

• 2 weeks later...

It seems like we may have passed the deadline to bring him back next season. However I still hope Allvin and Rutherford try to get him signed (if too late for this coming season then for the next). I wonder if there might be leniency in the transfer agreements with how Covid has messed with things.

He was definitely looking like he was ready to make the jump his last year with Utica and this year he was 3rd in scoring in Liiga. I would prefer to give Jasek a shot over Lazar and I'm sure he's capable of at least being the 13th forward. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

For a team who lacks C depth, it is a bit surprising they didn't bring this guy over and give him a shot. I remember hearing about he did everything the coaches asked of him in Utica but never seemed to be acknowledged for his hard work by the team. Moved from wing to C I believe and did it quite well and reading about how he was a top C in Finland and has good FO % makes you wonder what this team is doing. Instead we prefer to trade for a guy like Studnicka who is bad at faceoffs, but new management wants to bring in their own guys and that doesn't look all that great so far but I hope one day the Canucks give Jasek a shot.

Also, should the title be upgraded to C vs RW or at the very least C/RW? I know it means nothing but with how bad our depth is any glimmer of hope we have of some depth in key areas like C or RHD is a better optical allusion when you open the prospect section!

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/2/2022 at 7:26 PM, Googlie said:

Quietly having a good season with the Pelicans.  After 18 games has 6 goals and 7 assists and is +5

Does anyone know if he reverted to wing, or are they playing him as a center?

I still dont understand why he never got a game at the NHL level

Lukas Jasek with an empty netter for the Pelicans today. He's up to 8G and 17P in 23GP in Liiga so far.

To answer your question, he is being used mainly as the Pelicans top line center.

• Thanks 1

On 6/9/2022 at 10:11 AM, Petey Castiglione said:

He seems like the type of player Alvin would want to add back into the fold.  Anyone know is he has continued to play center?

Management seems to look for energy type players on the fourth line: Joshua, Aman, Lazar, Lockwood, and so on. That is not really Jasek, he is more of a smooth, sound defensively, playmaker - not a high energy, aggressive forechecker. He may have to find a team looking for a 3C.

14 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Management seems to look for energy type players on the fourth line: Joshua, Aman, Lazar, Lockwood, and so on. That is not really Jasek, he is more of a smooth, sound defensively, playmaker - not a high energy, aggressive forechecker. He may have to find a team looking for a 3C.

A right handed defensively sound center that can put up some points sounds exactly like what the team needs. ;)

• Vintage 2