The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

You be the GM. You make the picks!

Highsight is 20/20 and we all love to play devil's advocate and say who we would have picked. Well now you're the GM/Director of Scouting and you're making the picks.

Let's see how you're picks rank up. If you post your picks be warned that you might be flammed as hard as Benning and Co. has for their picks this weekend.

Obviously it's not a perfect simulation as I'm combining new information with what I had pre-draft but this is just for laughs anyways and in no way should be taken seriously. I personally liked the Jasek pick and didn't have a problem with it so I'm adding him into my original draft list.

1- Noah Juulsen
3 - Blake Speers
4 - Ethan Baer
5 - Ryan Pilon
5 - Lukas Jasek
6 - Nikita Korestelov
7 -Tate Olsen
This list was assuming that picking these players instead of who the Canucks actually took did not alter any subsequent picks following.

Lack + Higgins for 2nd

Bieksa for 2nd (retain salary if needed)

1st, 2nd, 2nd for Hamilton

Hamhuis - Hamilton

Edler - Tanev

Sbisa - Corrado

Who in the world is giving up a second for Bieksa, or Higgins and Lack? If that were possible, Benning would have done it. Our first was lower than the one the Flames gave up, so we would have had to throw more in than that.

Who in the world is giving up a second for Bieksa, or Higgins and Lack? If that were possible, Benning would have done it. Our first was lower than the one the Flames gave up, so we would have had to throw more in than that.

Salary retention, could of made it possible to move Bieksa for a 2nd. (SJS and Philly were quite interested)

Lack fetched an early third, adding Higgins could of fetched a 2nd (a decent top 9 guy on a good contract - CAR is lacking).

Benning-Boston relationship.

1.) If I'm being honest I would have taken a d-man, so perhaps Adam Larsson. That being said, the more I hear about Boeser the more I like him.

2.) N/A

3.) Brisbois looks to be a bit of a steal at 66th considering he was ranked at 41st. I agree with this pick.

4.) Zhukenov, (114th). Don't know much about him. He looks to be small, which in my opinion isn't a mark in his favor. I would be inclined to draft a NA or European other than a Russian.(meh, that's just me). At this point I believe the team needs to draft for size as well as talent.

I may have elected for Daniel Bernhardt (F). Good size, listed in some pages as playing either wing with some offensive upside.

5.) Carl Neill (144th) looks like a decent d-man prospect. If I didn't choose him I may have gone with Ryan Pilon.

5.) Adam Gaudette (149th). Don't know much about him. A may have taken a risk on Boikov.

6.) Lukas Jacek (174th). I'm good with this pick.

7,) Tate Olson (210th). I'm okay with this pick.

regards,

G.

Salary retention, could of made it possible to move Bieksa for a 2nd. (SJS and Philly were quite interested)

Lack fetched an early third, adding Higgins could of fetched a 2nd (a decent top 9 guy on a good contract - CAR is lacking).

Benning-Boston relationship.

Higgins has a NTC. If San Jose wanted Bieksa, he would be a Shark and apparently they backed out of a deal with the Canucks for him. The Flyers made cap room with the Pronger deal so maybe he still goes there and the Canucks get an actual player back. His trade value is really overrated right now, though. In a shallow draft, sure he is worth a second, but with the players available in the second round this season, he wasn't. He would have been moved if he was.

William Nylander.

Seriously, as long as this franchise continues giving opportunities to players of all types and origins, it is considered an outright bonus if they make the NHL. People do not realize that the draft is a 100% crapshoot and there is no such thing as planning for success through it. It is all luck. In the meantime, the franchise will ice the most competitive team possible, so what should there be to complain about?

William Nylander.

Seriously, as long as this franchise continues giving opportunities to players of all types and origins, it is considered an outright bonus if they make the NHL. People do not realize that the draft is a 100% crapshoot and there is no such thing as planning for success through it. It is all luck. In the meantime, the franchise will ice the most competitive team possible, so what should there be to complain about?

Crapshoot? Sure, but there is some skill involved in drafting/development.

15 year comparison.

2000: Kronwall, Kopecky (walked - got some good years out of him)
2001: None
2002: Hudler (walked - got some good years out of him), Fleischmann (traded for Lang to help with cup runs), Filppula (walked - got some good years out of him), Meech (retired? - got some good years out of him), Ericsson
2003: Howard, Quincey
2004: Franzen
2005: Kindl, Abdelkader, Helm
2006: Matthias (used to acquire Bertuzzi, who had several good seasons for them)
2007: Smith, Andersson
2008: Nyquist
2009: Tatar, Nestrasil (placed on waivers, top 9 player for Carolina)
2010: Sheahan, Jarnkrok (traded for Legwand), Pulkkinen, Mrazek
2011: Jurco, Ouellet (top D prospect)
2012: Frk (time is running out)
2013: Mantha (top prospect)
2014: Larkin (looks SOLID)
2015: Svechnikov (recently drafted)
Kronwall, Ericsson, Howard, Quincey, Franzen, Kindl, Abdelkader, Helm, Smith, Andersson, Nyquist, Tatar, Sheahan, Pulkkinen, Mrazek, Jurco, Ouellet still on roster. (Hudler, Filppula left recently)
VS
2000: None
2001: Umberger (wasted), Bieksa
2002: None
2003: Kesler (traded for Bonino, Sbisa, McCann)
2004: Schneider, Edler, Hansen
2005: Bourdon (RIP), Raymond
2006: Grabner (traded for Ballard, who got bought out0
2007: None
2008: Hodgson (Kassian)
2009: Connauton (traded for Roy, who walked)
2010: None
2011: Corrado (not even guaranteed to be a regular)
2012: None
2013: Horvat, Shinkaruk (doubtful)
2014: Virtanen (should make it ..)
2015: Boeser

Horvat, Bieksa, Edler, Hansen, Corrado, Kassian (Hodgson) on roster...

Detroit has been top team in the league, and haven't drafted in the top 10 in forever, and have more active players on roster and a better prospect pool.

Not taking shots at Benning, but just saying its not a complete crapshoot, as Detroit has been consistently good for a two decades.

Benning has only had 2 years of drafting under his belt, and I really like Virtanen, McCann, Demko and Tryamkin.

I like what GMJB did with the picks, really like Boeser (adding a pure goal scorer with his kind of game is rarely a bad decision) but If I were inclined to add on the backend as opposed to up front, there is one other option I would have considered.

If I can't recover a 2nd via dealing a roster player, I trade down - with Anaheim (permitting of course), from 23 for the 27th and 59th.

I'd then take Jacob Larsson and Nattinen as they did, although may be tempted to take a chance on Kylington (more inclined that way in a fantasy league) seeing how far he slipped and the potential pmd steal that he represents.

(No hindsight - all players I took in fantasy drafts).

Still take Brisebois in the 3rd with the 66th (who I also fantasy drafted) - and not going to question or alter the depth picks the Canucks made.

27 Larsson

57 Nattinen/Kylington

66 Brisebois

I'm not going to question the depth picks they made - I like each of them.

If they could have managed to move one of their roster players to get in at say 51st with Buffalo's 2nd, it would have also been nice to add Guhle or Lauzon to that haul of D.

But all in all I'm not going to criticize Benning's draft day efforts - sometimes the best laid plans simply do not pan out as you'd mapped them. I have no doubt he was exceptionally prepared - the market however, wasn't ripe to take picks out of and understandably so because anyone who spent any time looking into the draft class can't really deny there was a lot to like, particularly imo if you were in the market for a blueliner/s.

Higgins has a NTC. If San Jose wanted Bieksa, he would be a Shark and apparently they backed out of a deal with the Canucks for him. The Flyers made cap room with the Pronger deal so maybe he still goes there and the Canucks get an actual player back. His trade value is really overrated right now, though. In a shallow draft, sure he is worth a second, but with the players available in the second round this season, he wasn't. He would have been moved if he was.

This, speak more sense than most of the posters regarding the draft.

If Benning could have done any killer deals, he would have, but after a season of complaining about Bieksa's and Higgins poor play, its expected that we'll get a superstar or 1round picks for them.

i haven't got the foggiest idea...i only go on what i read..i haven't seen much of actual games...at least enough to make an intelligent decision...i let the big boys make those decision.....my hockey knowledge isn't good enough to run an nhl team...i wish it was.

Archived