The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Kings terminate contract of Mike Richards

Surprised no thread, release here:

http://kings.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=772865&navid=DL|LAK|home

LOS ANGELES -- The Los Angeles Kings have terminated the contract of forward Mike Richards, the club announced today.

The club has issued the following statement and will not comment any further at this time:

“The Los Angeles Kings today have exercised the team's right to terminate the contract of Mike Richards for a material breach of the requirements of his Standard Player's Contract. We are not prepared to provide any more detail or to discuss the underlying grounds for the contract termination at this time.”

He was waived yesterday, cleared today, and then LA somehow felt he breached his player standards? Convenient if you ask me, great way to free up cap space and not pay him.

The league would be such a farce if it allowed LA off the hook for this but can make sure the Canucks get hammered with a cap recapture.

Seriously, if LA gets away with this Benning & Co. should inquire how it can be that of all teams & super long term deals Vancouver is the only team that got ripped by the rule changes

LA has criminals and now they try to cheat. Do something NHL.

Gotta admit if this turns out to be true my enthusiasm for the sport will dwindle quite a bit. I know in the big picture it means nothing to the NHL but in my opinion stuff like this is completely mickey mouse.

How can you hold 1 franchise to different standards compared to another franchise.

Hopefully Richards gets the help he needs but Cap wise this should count against LA

According t a few articles Lombardi gave Richards a second chance past season instead of a buyout and feels burned because Richards didnt train like he promised...that and lifestyle could be the reason...

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Jason-Lewis/Eulogy-Mike-Richards/179/69619

IF this turns out to be true then I could see it opening up a flood gate. Hell didn't Cody Hodgson promise to be a top six forward I guess Buffalo doesn't have to pay him either lol

Could I hate Butt Man any more than I do right now? Yup, if he does nothing about this, the NHL will truly be a joke league not worth of comparison to other major league sports. This is unacceptable.

Archived