The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Laurence Gilman, Lorne Henning, Eric Crawford FIRED

Scorpyqc

Agreed. The timing is not suspect at all. It's probably the best time to let them go, other than immediately after Benning started.

I don't think there's any discord or drama, and this was probably planned for some time. They helped with the transition, and now they're gone.

But they let them go without getting at least a 2nd round pick. Now anyone can pick them up for free.

Are you guys seriously thinking that they were let go because of disagreements over signing so trades? Do you think that is the way all stuff happen in the business world? It might have been chemistry or the aforementioned like an argument, but I highly doubt that.

Yes. People get forced out or fired due to power struggles and disagreements all the time in sports. Here's just the latest example with the LA Angels. Not sure why you think it's such an unusual thing to happen.

http://deadspin.com/reports-gm-jerry-dipoto-forced-out-in-anaheim-1715124620

I'm guessing Benning didn't like Gilman using things like logic, analytics and fancy numbers to measure player performance. Benning prefers intangibles, like how good a player is in a scrum, or whether the play has enough confidence to date a pretty girl as opposed to an ugly girl.

Eh, he did the contracts signings, while he may not of had anything to do with dorsett / Sbisa (less then thrilling) he had everything to do with the NTC being handed out like candy... Hamhuis / Bieksa / Garrison should've gotten a limited NTC, Higgins / Hansen with limited NTC (i think) should not have any type NTC...

That said he made good signings in Sedins, Burrows when he was making 2m and putting up 50+ points per year.

Theres good and bad to everyone.. Lets not just choose one or the other to make a point.

Going by your username, you must be pretty pleased today? :P

Nah, I was pleased when gillis got fired. B) I would change my name to FireBenning but this forum took away the ability to change names. :sadno: I'm kind of indifferent to the gilman firing because I knew it was inevitable. You could tell he was being phased out when you barely heard a peep out of him last year. He's a smart and valuable guy, but it's pointless to have him around still if he has no voice or power. We all knew benning/linden would want to install their own people eventually.

The saddest thing is benning is dragging linden's reputation through the mud with him and I don't forsee linden coming out of this looking good by the end of this regime. That makes me sad because Linden was so disconnected from hockey and just rode his bike around the world while he was retired. I was happy to see him back and involved with hockey again, but once this goes south and this regime gets the boot I can see linden's name in this city in tatters and he'll go back riding his bike and disconnected from the hockey world again. Only this time, his name might not be as beloved in this city as it once was.

Nah, I was pleased when gillis got fired. B) I would change my name to FireBenning but this forum took away the ability to change names. :sadno: I'm kind of indifferent to the gilman firing because I knew it was inevitable. You could tell he was being phased out when you barely heard a peep out of him last year. He's a smart and valuable guy, but it's pointless to have him around still if he has no voice or power. We all knew benning/linden would want to install their own people eventually.

ahahahaah you just dont like people in management positions eh ? ;) kidding

I'm pretty much in agreement with you, this was inevitable and I'm indifferent. Actually kind of having fun watch this team burn itself to the ground and rebuild

Eh, he did the contracts signings, while he may not of had anything to do with dorsett / Sbisa (less then thrilling) he had everything to do with the NTC being handed out like candy... Hamhuis / Bieksa / Garrison should've gotten a limited NTC, Higgins / Hansen with limited NTC (i think) should not have any type NTC...

That said he made good signings in Sedins, Burrows when he was making 2m and putting up 50+ points per year.

Theres good and bad to everyone.. Lets not just choose one or the other to make a point.

I'm not saying I agree but remember the NTC's were given to bring down the salary of those players and thus benefit the Cap hit.

I think the guy to keep a close watch is John Weisbrod, VP. Player Personnel

Maybe old regime didn't like Lack trade, didn't like Kass trade, didn't like Bieska trade, didn't like making cap space for next year ... now we know, those who disagree with Benning and Linden ... bye bye.

No we don't.

I'm certain each of them had strengths and weaknesses in their respective duties. PLEASE stop posting as though you are an authority on what happens behind closed doors. Reading the paper and listening to Pratt doesn't make you an 'insider'. You can not judge this administration before letting some of these moves play out. A couple of years in GMMG looked great. Now, in hindsight, we can come to a more educated opinion and realize he made a healthy dose of blunders. Plus, If you were in the position to choose who you worked with you would. No question.

Would be nice but they're going to do it anyway. Give credit to them being fans, but the obsessing does go overboard and when it gets to speculation, into rather unsavoury territory. But well said.

It's really not. But not fast enough for some, if it is.

The cognitive dissonance surrounding this fanbase is unreal.

"This team is going downhill fast, FIRE GILLIS and the lot of his incompetents! We need change or else we're doomed!"

Trevor comes in, puts in his own people.

"What are these idiots doing -- these are good hockey men they're firing, we're doomed!"

Same goes for the roster. They demand change but when the change comes they're just as panicked and diaper-filled. Perhaps it's all just vocalization of a need to be heard, to compain and whine, so it matters not what actually takes place? Truly, we'd win the Stanley Cup and it'd be "How are we going to resign these players, the team will be gutted and we'll be out of the playoffs!"

Archived