The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Laurence Gilman, Lorne Henning, Eric Crawford FIRED

Scorpyqc

Benning kept these guys on for a full year, so he had opportunity to interact and work with them and see what they were capable of and how they fit in. Clearly they either do not fit his vision or where he wants the team and culture to be.

Eric Crawford has been credited in some circles for turning around the Canucks' drafting since 2013, but with Benning going through two drafts with him perhaps that was not the case. And with Delorme still around, maybe the problem hasn't actually been with him? Benning being a career scout and putting in two solid drafts so far says that his judgement is likely sound.

No we don't.

Would be nice but they're going to do it anyway. Give credit to them being fans, but the obsessing does go overboard and when it gets to speculation, into rather unsavoury territory. But well said.

"This team is going downhill fast, FIRE GILLIS and the lot of his incompetents! We need change or else we're doomed!"

Trevor comes in, puts in his own people.

"What are these idiots doing -- these are good hockey men they're firing, we're doomed!"

Same goes for the roster. They demand change but when the change comes they're just as panicked and diaper-filled. Perhaps it's all just vocalization of a need to be heard, to compain and whine, so it matters not what actually takes place? Truly, we'd win the Stanley Cup and it'd be "How are we going to resign these players, the team will be gutted and we'll be out of the playoffs!"

It's an obsessive compulsive emotional response that is typical to Canucks fans. Not sure if it's like that in other Canadian markets, but it's fascinating from a social analysis POV. Annoying from a fan POV :P

Sarcasm?? You're really not good at this...

No. That's my genuine opinion. If you don't like what I write, my opinions or my contributions. Just reach deep in to that box I just gave you.

Just because people disagree with management decisions and moves made by said management doesn't mean we aren't also fans. People here seem to have a drink the kool-aid or be ostracized mentality.

I am not in the fire Benning camp, I am not in the burn it to the ground camp either; I certainly am not in the I love everything benning does camp. I am in the do what's best for the team long term camp and lately I am struggling to see that the long term needs of this team are being well served.

When statements are made one day yet the exact opposite things are done a day later it leads me and others to question. Then we get derided, insulted and ripped on for questioning said things.

This is OUR team and if we all agreed on things it would be a pretty boring place to be. I do not agree with at least 3 of the moves Benning has made recently and I will happily voice that. I will also poke fun at people and management in attempts to alleviate said stigma and depressing attitudes over said moves and such.

But I won't sit here and smile and shrug off anymore derision from people who refuse to allow others a dissenting point of view that goes against the "all; is well" CDC mentality.

So that being said, while I respect you immensely and love what you bring to this forum; please don't take this personally when I say

Reach deep into that box pull one out for yourself and share among the group because I will continue questioning moves that apparently make little to no genuine sense, moves that go directly against what we were promised was a vision; moves that directly oppose what was promised in regards to return, and completely questionable or literally useless and redundant signings.

It's a deep DEEP box and there's plenty to go around.

We can't all agree all the time; but it doesn't mean we should be derided, chided or generally insulted for not agreeing with everything.

I wonder what hand Gilman had in the Sbisa and Dorsett signings. I get the feeling he wasn't on board with these signings and JB said "See ya".

Here's a fun game. Given what we know about UFA signings yesterday, how much do you think Sbisa would have received on the open market as a UFA? I'm guessing half of what he signed for here and likely less term too.

You would be correct there! Blake Price from 1040 said he saw Gilman a couple days after those deals were made and he did NOT want to talk about it or get into it.....Smells like someone wasnt happy with those numbers, and who could blame him!!

Benning kept these guys on for a full year, so he had opportunity to interact and work with them and see what they were capable of and how they fit in. Clearly they either do not fit his vision or where he wants the team and culture to be.

This. But I'd add that they were kept for one additional season to minimize organizational disruption in an already hectic couple seasons - all the whilst TL & JB had an overall plan in mind.

I'm not saying I agree but remember the NTC's were given to bring down the salary of those players and thus benefit the Cap hit.

I think the guy to keep a close watch is John Weisbrod, VP. Player Personnel

fair enough but the amount of NTC we have is staggering and undeniably high.

we have 7 NTC of some sort (excluding Miller and Vrbata) and thats after the trades of Bieksa, Kesler, and Garrison.

10 NTC last year!! almost have a roster lol.

You look at other teams, Pittsburg has 8 NTC but thats with 5 high profile players Malkin / Crosby / Fleury / Letang / Kessel even then Kessel / Letang / Fleury don't have full NTC lol.

Chicago has 8 NTC, again Sharp / Seabrook / Crawford don't have full NTC.

It's understandable that you want to sign people within good cap hits but honestly I would've paid a bit more on Hamhuis / Garrison / Hansen or whoever to have the ability to maximize return.

I do not agree with getting rid of Gilman

Unfortunately they were asking for opinions yesterday but you didn't get yours in on time and ... well I don't know how to put this ... he was let go :( I'm sorry son ...

No. That's my genuine opinion. If you don't like what I write, my opinions or my contributions. Just reach deep in to that box I just gave you.

Just because people disagree with management decisions and moves made by said management doesn't mean we aren't also fans. People here seem to have a drink the kool-aid or be ostracized mentality.

I am not in the fire Benning camp, I am not in the burn it to the ground camp either; I certainly am not in the I love everything benning does camp. I am in the do what's best for the team long term camp and lately I am struggling to see that the long term needs of this team are being well served.

When statements are made one day yet the exact opposite things are done a day later it leads me and others to question. Then we get derided, insulted and ripped on for questioning said things.

This is OUR team and if we all agreed on things it would be a pretty boring place to be. I do not agree with at least 3 of the moves Benning has made recently and I will happily voice that. I will also poke fun at people and management in attempts to alleviate said stigma and depressing attitudes over said moves and such.

But I won't sit here and smile and shrug off anymore derision from people who refuse to allow others a dissenting point of view that goes against the "all; is well" CDC mentality.

So that being said, while I respect you immensely and love what you bring to this forum; please don't take this personally when I say

Reach deep into that box pull one out for yourself and share among the group because I will continue questioning moves that apparently make little to no genuine sense, moves that go directly against what we were promised was a vision; moves that directly oppose what was promised in regards to return, and completely questionable or literally useless and redundant signings.

It's a deep DEEP box and there's plenty to go around.

We can't all agree all the time; but it doesn't mean we should be derided, chided or generally insulted for not agreeing with everything.

I just think your jokes are shi*ty and I refuse to standby and let it go un-answered.

Edit: might want to stop asking people to reach deep into your box

Because you agree with handing out ntc contracts like candy?

No but he did a good job of working around the salary cap. I'm just going to have to trust that Benning didn't want to work with him for a good reason

Archived